British Speedway Forum
SarahLapworth

The Future Of The Elite League

Whilst I can put my hand up and say I have had little involvement in speedway this year and have not attended any meetings I have observed with interest the current crisis if you will with the Elite league in its present state. I hope you don't mind me sharing my views.

So what is wrong with the Elite league? Well its hard where to start really. I don't wish to jump on the perennial doom and gloom bandwagon but we have to admit this year the product has not been good and we could be seeing the beginning of the end. Birmingham have closed down and Eastbourne look set to go at the end of this year (Mr Dugard has stated that the regular crowd is only 700).

The main thing we have to ask ourselves now is are we getting value for our money - the simple answer is a big fat NO!. Crowds are going down because it is simply too expensive for a family now to attend on a regular basis. Wages have not increased for ages and the cost of living continues to rise yet we are asking folk to part with their hard earned cash to pay upto £18 each week per person (excluding kids of cause). Now lets face it people don't mind paying this is they are getting value for their money (football is well attended at roughly the same price or more) but the Elite League is a watered down product compared to what it used to be. People want to see the best riders in the world if they are paying top dollar - thats why Cardiff is so well attended but we can probably count on one hand the amount of GP riders that race here and maybe on two hands the number of truly world class riders. When I first started going to speedway back in 1993 each team had 3 world class heat leaders and the second strings were knocking on the door. Fast forward to 2014 Each team probably has a 1 top rider or maybe 2 if your lucky, the rest is made up of premier league regulars.

Doubling up between the leagues seemed a good when the idea was first conceived, you would have the best riders in the premier league slot into the reserve spots in the Elite. It was like a natural progression. What has happened now is that this system has got out of control. The Elite league is full of riders that also race in the premier league. Supporters can no longer associate a rider with one team. You can watch an Elite league match at Belle Vue on a Monday and then go and watch premier league at Somerset on Friday. chances are you will see 60% of the same riders you say on Monday. A case of the same riders wearing different race jackets. This means that in effect the Elite League is just a glorified Premier league with a few top riders thrown in. As for the fast track system for British youngsters - This may have seemed a good idea but has become a total farce. It has weakened the Elite league and was almost certainly brought in as a cost cutting measure. Most of the youngsters are struggling and after a few meetings are dropped. The club then has to take on the next rider in line and so on.

Tai Woffinden has stated that the league has to change if he is to ride here next year. I have always said that if the league is to move forward and attract the best riders in the world again we have to have a set race night. Promoters are stuck in the past if they think they can still expect to run on any night they want and the riders have to revolve around that. If the BSPA insist on continuing the status quo maybe the only way forward is to combine the 2 leagues again? At least the fans would get the variety of seeing a different team each week and each team would have different riders to the other as there would be no need for doubling up.

Whatever happens the Elite league needs to change!

Kelvin Lapworth

I could understand criticism of the BSPA if everyone was singing from the same hymn sheet.This topic is less than 2 pages long and already we have had,Get the best riders back,ditch the best riders,go to a set race night,use 2 race nights,Go for 1 big league,go for 2 leagues,have promotion and relegation,promotion and relegation wont work,keep the draft,ditch the draft,bring back the KO cup,don't bring back the KO cup,stop doubling up,get rid of the tactical ride etc.You ask 10 people what they want they come up with 10 different answers ! Unless we can all agree on a way forward doesn't seem much point lambasting the BSPA for not implementing the personal wishes of 20 separate posters.
  • Like 6

I could understand criticism of the BSPA if everyone was singing from the same hymn sheet.This topic is less than 2 pages long and already we have had,Get the best riders back,ditch the best riders,go to a set race night,use 2 race nights,Go for 1 big league,go for 2 leagues,have promotion and relegation,promotion and relegation wont work,keep the draft,ditch the draft,bring back the KO cup,don't bring back the KO cup,stop doubling up,get rid of the tactical ride etc.You ask 10 people what they want they come up with 10 different answers ! Unless we can all agree on a way forward doesn't seem much point lambasting the BSPA for not implementing the personal wishes of 20 separate posters.

What I seen on this topic and most that people can not accept that Speedway has problems in General rather than in one league . Intill people get there head round that speedway it's not working at any level or league then I doubt it will ever move forward .

• Like 4

the thing that would hold back promotion/relegation is the fact certain promoters in prem DONT wanna move up!

And why would they? The Elite League is far too expensive to compete in. At least Promoters in the Premier League recognise their limits. As I have said earlier some Premier League Teams are struggling now - why the hell would they want to move up to a League that could bankrupt them.

I know that some Elite League Supporters don't/won't accept this fact, nevertheless, it is true.

The question was "The future of the Elite League"? The answer is, it has no future, save your money and watch the Swedish League on TV, Zorro and Harris both riding at reserve, that's what you call an Elite League.

Sadly, I believe that if something is not done soon, you may well be right. :sad: :sad:

What I seen on this topic and most that people can not accept that Speedway has problems in General rather than in one league . Intill people get there head round that speedway it's not working at any level or league then I doubt it will ever move forward .

And as I have said many times orion - you are right - Speedway has problems at all levels. The trouble is that by far the BIGGEST problems are in the Elite League. This is something you seem to find difficult to accept.

And why would they? The Elite League is far too expensive to compete in. At least Promoters in the Premier League recognise their limits. As I have said earlier some Premier League Teams are struggling now - why the hell would they want to move up to a League that could bankrupt them.

I know that some Elite League Supporters don't/won't accept this fact, nevertheless, it is true.

Sadly, I believe that if something is not done soon, you may well be right. :sad: :sad:

And as I have said many times orion - you are right - Speedway has problems at all levels. The trouble is that by far the BIGGEST problems are in the Elite League. This is something you seem to find difficult to accept.

I answer that last week when you say the same thing ...Yet again another myth that only el teams not knowing there limits for everyone I can give you a Pl that don't as well . No doubt Newport knew there limits when they were in the pl no doubt Boro knew there limits as they can't paid there riders at the moment . I accept something when you come with some facts that back up what you say but like last week I doubt you can .

I answer that last week when you say the same thing ...Yet again another myth that only el teams not knowing there limits for everyone I can give you a Pl that don't as well . No doubt Newport knew there limits when they were in the pl no doubt Boro knew there limits as they can't paid there riders at the moment . I accept something when you come with some facts that back up what you say but like last week I doubt you can .

I don't have to come up with anything - it is all there for you to see if you just open your eyes. :rolleyes:

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

John Heywood - 1546

I don't have to come up with anything - it is all there for you to see if you just open your eyes. :rolleyes:

That's what I expected you can't come up with anything ...As I said don't say things unless you can back it with some facts .

Edited by orion

For as long as I have been a Speedway supporter (the best part of 30 years) the BSPA or at least the promoters of the top league have always been more interested in in fighting & self interest.

The most professional league this country has had in that time was the old National League of the late 1980's which was broken up to try & save top flight speedway in 1991.

I think I missed around 10 meetings in 22 years at Ipswich I think I have been to about 6 in the last 6 seasons & before anyone asks it has nothing to do with the drop down my interest started to fade as more & more daft rules came in the last straw was the change mid season to change the playoffs from the top 6 to the top 4.

Until the powers that be sort themselves out the future of the top flight in the short term & speedway as a whole in the mid term is in danger!

Just a question not really on topic but does however sum up this country why do we not hold a round of have anyone in the European Championships?

• Like 1

That's what I expected you can't come up with anything ...As I said don't say things unless you can back it with some facts .

It is a waste of time discussing things with you orion.

Birmingham is only the start - believe you me. :sad: :sad:

Anyway - time will tell.

We shall see.............................................

• Like 1

Anyway - time will tell.

Birmingham were doomed the day Alan Phillips rejected Tony Mole's offer of buying the club back and instead decided to run the club on his own assisted by his mini me son! - "Amateurs" - to quote Phil Morris! and bloody ell was he right!

Birmingham's demise is not typical of the EL as a whole, but I do admit The EL in it's current format is on borrowed time and needs radical changes in order to survive.

• Like 3

Anyway - time will tell.

Why because I don't agree with what you say ? or when I asked you to back up what you say with some examples you can't up come with any bar Birmingham who of course had lost a packet in the Pl the last time they were in that league .No matter what league brum were in Phillips would have busted them .

Just like any club that go's under like Newport Pl or Birmingham El it tends to be due to who is running the club not what league they are in . Yet again at the start of the year were hearing how great it was that Boro had left the El and there problems were over because they were in the Pl but sure enough before long there have been statements begging for fans to come and watch as they are way under there break even figure and rumors that riders have been paid all season long .

Both leagues have the same big problem not enough fans to make it pay .

Edited by orion

Good post. And we wonder why promoters can't agree either??!

It is difficult to see how promotion and relegation will work. For a start if Edinburgh win the PL they will not want to move up to the EL whilst Glasgow remain in the Premier. It will mean goodbye to their most attractive league meetings, a stone cold financial fact which cannot be disputed. Regional speedway seems a much more healthy proposition.

• Like 1

Birminghams problems this season were more to do with inept owners rather than the Elite League itself. Birmingham with its high rental and not huge hardcore support will always be highly vunerable in the hands of incapable owners regardless of the League they are in!

The EL hasn't been truly that since the first two years of its inception!

It should be 6 man teams mainly filled by the cream of World speedway and should only be once at home and once away!

Its no coincidence that the better attended Swedish and Polish Leagues run half the fixtures we do over here. People get tired of seeing the same old teams over and over, many others can't afford to go most of the meetings so this results in many potential customers picking and choosing.

We only need one home meeting a fortnight just like the much more popular football has been for years. Less fixtures would mean the season could start later in April cause afterall speedways a summer sport and many people don't go when its too cold.

I don't think one set day for EL matches would work in this Country cause most teams don't own there stadium and midweek fixtures don't attract the crowds like Fridays and Saturdays. Note that Belle Vue intend to move to Friday nights when/if they get there new stadium. Less fixtures would enable British speedway to maintain its current multi night meetings!

Teams complaining about a lack of home fixtures could also run teams in the NL, King's Lynn and Coventry already do while Belle Vue intend to in their new stadium and Lakeside are considering it. Wolves at Monmore Green are different in that they share there track with Cradley who could realistically also sustain EL racing there. Other tracks like Eastbourne and Birmingham who struggle with crowds would probably be happy with a less congested fixture list and wouldn't be interested in the NL.

Test matches against the likes of Poland, Australia, Denmark and Sweden could be restarted on EL tracks to give them more fixtures.

Individuals and most shared events could also be staged on EL tracks to give them more home fixtures.

Teams from Poland, Denmark and Sweden could come over at the start of the season to ride challenge matches at EL tracks. Look at the huge crowd at King's Lynn at the start of the season to watch the Polish team. Challenge matches against teams you will be facing in the League aren't very apetising.

The 6 man teams should be filled by the Worlds Elite and British riders. The 2 reserves will be British only, the requirement being a PL average of 6+whos never averaged over 6 in the EL before. One other British doubling up rider could ride in the main body of the team but would require a PL average of 8 or over in the PL. No foriegners could double up. (A similar fast track system to that used in this seasons EL could be implemented in the more suitable PL with the requirement being a NL average of 6+.)

A better run less congested EL would attract more fans, sponsors and more interest from SKY and other TV companies. More finance would enable the League to be truly Elite attracting the worlds best riders and would enable test matches to be viable again and would enable the clubs to run National teams and put more into training young British riders.

It is difficult to see how promotion and relegation will work. For a start if Edinburgh win the PL they will not want to move up to the EL whilst Glasgow remain in the Premier. It will mean goodbye to their most attractive league meetings, a stone cold financial fact which cannot be disputed. Regional speedway seems a much more healthy proposition.

Very true but I look forward to the visit of the Northern tracks to Ipswich more than what I do the more local teams cause you know you'll probably only see them once a season.

I also enjoyed the one big League set up of 1995-96 but many of the former 2nd Division teams didn't!

Like another poster indicates, it easy to say the BSPA don't do this and don't do that but as we've seen on this thread everyone has their own ideas and I firmly believe that while British speedway can be more sustainable than it currently it, it will always be vunerable and that has nearly always been the case since I first went in the 1950's!

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 3

Good post 25 year old fan ..but yet again got to pick you up on the name of the league ...El has the name because it's the strongest league in the uk and the top division and that has never changed . Leagues in all sports around the world have names that tell you that is the top league but that does not mean that they have to have the top players riders etc in it .

I am sure in Ice Hockey have a El league in the uk but doubt very much it's full of world greats . it's always amazed me why people have a problem with the name of the El that make some sense but never have a problem with the Pl name that makes none at all .

• Like 2

In my previous post I raised two questions, one has been touched on but nobody has commented on my second question, and I would be interested to know the answer. My second question was............

"Secondly the subject brought to the fore with Ty's comments about a single night for all teams to race. I don't have a problem with that in principle, but with the sport being so subject to weather I am wondering how this would work as the season moved on. In football we talk about teams having a game in hand, and sometime even two games in hand, but in Speedway this can be a great deal more. At the moment there is a gap of five games between some teams, and in the Premier league there is a gap of eleven races in one case, and we are talking about a year where the weather has been reasonably kind.

Surely as the season moves towards the second half the calendar is going to become packed and other nights will have to be raced to catch up. I notice Belle Vue a week on Monday are having a double meeting, with two races one after the other. I am a Belle Vue fan, and love Speedway, but 30 races in one night is a lot to take especially if we are not on form that particular night, and the fact that I have to travel an hour back home afterwards.

So my second question is how would it work especially if we had a particularly wet season."