British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Wolves Vs Oxford Vs Birmingham Vs Cradley (retro Fours)

I thought it was very good crowd for as some have described as a fixture filler.Great to see so many Brummies fans here and also fans of other teams including Oxford fans. Happy we won the fours but shame BB went into the fence in the final race. Racing I agree wasnt the best for Monmore standards and would have better if Oxford had a more competitive team. Hope to be watching the Brummies take to the track soon, fingers crossed for 2015.

Can only agree with whats been said. Yes, its good for the Brummies and Oxford fans to see some speedway and maybe catch up with a few friends they haven't seen for a while.

Bottom line though is its merely a hyped up challenge. I just about tolerate them in March, but not August.

Can only agree with whats been said. Yes, its good for the Brummies and Oxford fans to see some speedway and maybe catch up with a few friends they haven't seen for a while.

Bottom line though is its merely a hyped up challenge. I just about tolerate them in March, but not August.

When you have suffered disappointment after disappointment this season its been a welcome break. :wink:

CHEETAHS FINISH LAST AT WOLVES

OXFORD CHEETAHS finished last in the Retro Fours at Wolverhampton last night (Monday). But the evening was more about a Cheetahs side taking to the track rather than the result.

The Cheetahs simply didn’t have any luck in the meeting at all. One race continued after David Howe took a nudge on the first corner and fell, while another carried on despite Nicolai Klindt being slow from the tapes when they went up crooked.

Oxford were reduced to three men, when Ashley Birks took a nasty tumble on the final corner of Heat 11 after his chain broke. A battered Birks withdrew from his final ride.

A couple of late wins from Klindt, in Heats 12 & 14, added just a little bit of respectability to the final scoreline, after the Cheetahs had spent much of the evening stranded on just three points.

Birmingham were victorious, after looking the strongest team all night, while Wolves snatched second place from Cradley Heath, after a controversial last race exclusion for Cradley’s Gino Manzares.

Klindt nearly gave the Cheetahs’ fans some joy in Gary Peterson Trophy individual race. He appeared to be sweeping around the outside into the lead, when he lost control and fell, thereby handing victory to Ricky Wells.

Oxford Speedway Supporters’ Club Chairman Gavin Beckley said: “It was more about seeing the Cheetahs back on track tonight rather than anything else. The riders battled hard, but had little luck.

“Tonight was all about reminding people about Oxford Speedway, and that we want to return to our own stadium.”

The battle to save Oxford Stadium is ongoing, with speedway and greyhound enthusiasts fighting under a single Save Oxford Stadium banner. Property developers Galliard Homes had plans to build 220 homes on the site rejected by Oxfordshire City Council in January.

BIRMINGHAM 34: Ben Barker 10, Ludvig Lindgren 9, Danny King 8, Paul Starke 7.

WOLVERHAMPTON 28: Ricky Wells 9, Rohan Tungate 8, Lasse Bjerre 6, Cameron Heeps 5.

CRADLEY 27: Stuart Robson 10, Aaron Summers 9, Gino Manzares 4, Kyle Newman 4.

OXFORD 10: Nicolai Klindt 6, David Howe 3, Ashley Birks 1, Rafal Konopka 0.

GARY PETERSON TROPHY RACE: Wells, Summers, Klindt (fell), Barker (fell, excluded).

I was later than usual arriving (thanks to the Mrs) and the programme seller at the turstiles told me they had sold out! I managed to get one from the speedway office. I would suggest the selling out was the result of a lower than normal print run, but still I expect that CVS was pleased with the attendance.

Someone is going to have to explain to me how it can be a test of whether Cradley could survive at PL level when Cradley are not riding in the meeting.

There is no 'test' needed with regards Cradley. They get more than big enough gates to ride in the PL, they get big enough gates to ride in the EL! Not only that there are still a good % of Cradley fans who don't go, simply because it is only NL standard. Move up a league the crowd would increase.

However, it's easy money in the NL and whilst the crowds hold up at that level, there's no need for them to move.

Tell me how Cradley weren't riding when the result reads:

Birmingham 34 (Ben Barker 10)

Wolverhampton 28 (Ricky Wells 9)

Cradley 27 (Stuart Robson 10)

Oxford 10 (Nicolai Klindt 6)

Yes, don't let facts get in the way of the rush to seem the most cynical. Congratulations, you win, we'll send you the medal later.

The suggestion regarding the Cradley aspect was secondary anyway and I'm suggesting that it may have been for that reason, not that it should have been. There is a subtle difference between explaining and justifying something.

And don't try playing the "it wasn't this year's Cradley team" card. I used to be a regular at Dudley Wood and know how it's the club, not just the riders that matter. Put a team out in Cradley colours and they'll loyally support it.

Anyway, you must always have the last word so here's some space for you. I'd start with an apology but I know it's unlikely in your case.

Edited by rmc

The result might read Cradley, but come on, the quartet of riders representing them are four riders currently riding for other clubs who have never had any connection to the Heathens (Not sure about Kyle Newman). Given that the real Cradley are riding tonight, you can hardly expect many Heathens fans to buy into the concept last night.

No problem with the Brummies and Cheetahs having a chance to show support for their sadly defunct clubs, maybe it would have been better to have had the final team as the Reading Racers. Might even have been able to get some ex-Racers involved as well - Ostegaard, Mills, Simota?. But I guess having the "Heathens" involved would be probably more attractive for the purse strings.

• Like 1

Tell me how Cradley weren't riding when the result reads:

Birmingham 34 (Ben Barker 10)

Wolverhampton 28 (Ricky Wells 9)

Cradley 27 (Stuart Robson 10)

Oxford 10 (Nicolai Klindt 6)

Yes, don't let facts get in the way of the rush to seem the most cynical. Congratulations, you win, we'll send you the medal later.

The suggestion regarding the Cradley aspect was secondary anyway and I'm suggesting that it may have been for that reason, not that it should have been. There is a subtle difference between explaining and justifying something.

And don't try playing the "it wasn't this year's Cradley team" card. I used to be a regular at Dudley Wood and know how it's the club, not just the riders that matter. Put a team out in Cradley colours and they'll loyally support it.

I agree that Cradley were riding last night -but it was just a team made up put to a name.

Cradley exist in the NL and this was nothing like a current Cradley team.

The concept was decent enough, but it was purely just a marketing ploy to get numbers through the turnstiles and nothing to do with promoting those teams currently without a home base.

Judging by the attendance last night id say more Heathens fans stayed away and instead will go tonight to watch a CURRENT Cradley team which says all we need to know about which Cradley team the fans would support.

It's not an Oxford fixture in any shape or form.

Those who go along thinking it is are quite simply mugs.

This is why speedway hasn't moved on for decades, promoters have long considered their fan base to be somewhat gullible and will turn up whatever league, competition, pretend teams are on show.

Why this assumption that everyone gives a stuff about Speedway outside their own club ?, although I wish them no ill at all, I coulden't give a toss what Swindon, Poole, Wolves etc are getting up to, if it's not Birmingham related then I'm not terribly interested, I'm sure there's plenty with similar mindsets, therefore this (however mickey mouse it is) interests me more than Eastbourne V Belle Vue.

So it's a case of getting my money for this sort of thing (until a functioning full time Birmingham side is revived), or not getting my money at all.

• Like 6

Possibly in a minority of one on this, but I thought it a very good meeting. Yes, it was a shadow Wolves and pretty much a non-Heathen Cradley. But if I were an Oxford fan it would be a point of pride, as it clearly was for those who were there, to turn out and back the jacket.

That brings me to Birmingham. With the most recent wounds and with three of this year's side plus, in Ludvig Lindgren, a rider with long-standing Brum connections, it was clearly a lot more than a filler for the riders and for the fans. The commitment of both was there for all to see.

And on the final corner of the final lap of the final race, a Cradley rider eased a Wolves man into the fence. I wasn't a speedway watcher in the old Monmore/Dudley Wood derby years, but the gentleman standing next to me snorted: "Just like the old days."

So, for me at least, a worthwhile exercise and good to chew the fat with Lucifer Sam once more.

• Like 3

I'm with 'BWitcher' on this one.

A totally meaningless meeting containing riders who have little or nothing to do with any of the teams 'competing'!

Only those with nothing else to do or should that be speedway supporters who must have some kind of a speedway fix on a Monday will surely turn up for this?

CVS states 'it should be a great evening'... but I wonder, who for?

How wrong you are "Retro turns into a classic" was the headline in the local paper."Wolves retro fours meeting looks likely to stay on the calender after last nights successful first staging " The word entertaining was mentioned also mentioned 4 times in the write up.Take that all you knockers , All courtesy of 'SCOOP' Pearson of course.

How wrong you are "Retro turns into a classic" was the headline in the local paper."Wolves retro fours meeting looks likely to stay on the calender after last nights successful first staging " The word entertaining was mentioned also mentioned 4 times in the write up.Take that all you knockers , All courtesy of 'SCOOP' Pearson of course.

What exciting times fans have to look forward to.

It re-enforces the message to promoters that there are enough mugs around willing to pay out money for meaningless dross.

Which means they will continue to serve up meaningless dross and see absolutely no need to provide anything better.

It's a fairly standard pattern that has brought the sport to where it is today in this country.

I read that too and i had to question if i was at a different meeting.

Its a nice idea however and if fans want to support it (plenty did) then no doubt it will be back next year.

Guest wolfhound

You're entitled to your opinion of course 'New Science' but what else would you expect someone like Nigel Pearson to write considering he is as good as the mouthpiece for the BSPA when it comes to speedway?

His job is to talk-up speedway and the report you mention did just that but that does not mean it was a 'classic' does it?

I suggest you take what you read by Pearson et al 'with a pinch of salt', for after all, newspapers always tell the truth, don't they?

So let me get this right - a meeting is put on that provides good racing, attracts a decent crowd and is termed a success.

And yet people who weren't even there call it "meaningless dross", as if they actually know better from the people who travelled and watched the meeting. <<insert shake head in disbelief smiley>> :rolleyes:

All the best

Rob

Possibly in a minority of one on this, but I thought it a very good meeting. Yes, it was a shadow Wolves and pretty much a non-Heathen Cradley. But if I were an Oxford fan it would be a point of pride, as it clearly was for those who were there, to turn out and back the jacket.

That brings me to Birmingham. With the most recent wounds and with three of this year's side plus, in Ludvig Lindgren, a rider with long-standing Brum connections, it was clearly a lot more than a filler for the riders and for the fans. The commitment of both was there for all to see.

And on the final corner of the final lap of the final race, a Cradley rider eased a Wolves man into the fence. I wasn't a speedway watcher in the old Monmore/Dudley Wood derby years, but the gentleman standing next to me snorted: "Just like the old days."

So, for me at least, a worthwhile exercise and good to chew the fat with Lucifer Sam once more.

Good to see you on Monday, and you're not in that small a minority - I thought it was a good meeting too and a worthwhile exercise (although I do wish Oxford's team had Barker in it instead of Konopka!!).

Not sure if I agree about Heat 16 though - the Wolves rider came off on his own. The exclusion of Manzares was a controversial one!

All the best

Rob