British Speedway Forum

Its a shame you're disappointed but tbh I don't care a damn how you feel. If a supporter can't try to defend someone they feel is being unfairly targeted then what is the point of this or any discussion forum, or court of law for that matter?

:rofl::drink::drink::drink: oops..

IN what seems like a million years ago when I was a soccer scribe I spent a great deal of time watching George Best's career go down the tubes ... I was angry that I was being denied the chance to enjoy and write about a football genius. Best actually spent some of his last, sad days sitting on his own in a Surbiton pub near our office.

I feel much the same about Ward now. I don't pretend to be close to him, generations apart, but I sat behind him on the flight back from Riga this morning and couldn't help but feel sorry for the lad. He has been foolish and stupid (again) but there should be no rejoicing in his downfall. We are all the losers, as we were with Best.

The difference being, Best had a very good career in football. Possibly finished too early but please don't coimpare one of the greatest players to ever live, to a speedway rider who is fairly talented but as yet achieved not an awful lot.

Also George was ill, there is a huge difference in being an alcoholic to being a waster like Ward.

Its a shame you're disappointed but tbh I don't care a damn how you feel. If a supporter can't try to defend someone they feel is being unfairly targeted then what is the point of this or any discussion forum, or court of law for that matter?

*toys out pram time* - Do you support Liverpool too?

You need to take those Darcy Ward tinted glasses off. Try looking at from the bigger picture. Do you have kids? What if your kid was racing on track and taken out by a rider who was under the influence of a substance? Would you still be defending him then?

He has been foolish and stupid (again) but there should be no rejoicing in his downfall. We are all the losers, as we were with Best.

I agree with your words Phil, but I don't think any of us have been rejoicing (well maybe the odd Coventry fan) but most of us all agree with you, it is a shame we will be denied the privilege of watching him race.

I hope someone on the flight actually told him how silly and stupid he had been. I don't say that to cause him further problems, but I think someone in the sport he respects needs to tell him that.

Not the deed obviously - but the way people on this forum have reacted to it.

Actually, I think your stance is amongst the worst on the thread the way you are blindly defending him. His problem could well be that he surrounded himself by too many people like you over the years.

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 7

Middleditch must be fuming Ward is making him look a prat by sticking up for him.Interesting what line Ford will take in this matter.

• Like 1

Unfairly targetted ?

Yes it beggars belief does it not, that anybody can hold that view.

Edited by wealdstone
  • Like 1

*toys out pram time* - Do you support Liverpool too?

You need to take those Darcy Ward tinted glasses off. Try looking at from the bigger picture. Do you have kids? What if your kid was racing on track and taken out by a rider who was under the influence of a substance? Would you still be defending him then?

I agree with your words Phil, but I don't think any of us have been rejoicing (well maybe the odd Coventry fan) but most of us all agree with you, it is a shame we will be denied the privilege of watching him race.

I hope someone on the flight actually told him how silly and stupid he had been. I don't say that to cause him further problems, but I think someone in the sport he respects needs to tell him that.

Oh dear how sad - you fail to see that I (and others defending him) are entitled to our opinions! How nice this forum was if everyone had the same opinion as you huh?

And football? no lol - i have no interest at all in football. In fact the comparison you gave with Saurez is totally irrelevant anyway - he is obviously mentally disturbed and has actually injured fellow players DURING a match. Ward of course HAS NOT!!

Only has not because the opportunity was taken away from him by failing the test. Anyone who defends this or thinks a ban is to harsh is an idiot end of

Oh dear how sad - you fail to see that I (and others defending him) are entitled to our opinions! How nice this forum was if everyone had the same opinion as you huh?

And football? no lol - i have no interest at all in football. In fact the comparison you gave with Saurez is totally irrelevant anyway - he is obviously mentally disturbed and has actually injured fellow players DURING a match. Ward of course HAS NOT!!

If you're a fan of Ward, your best course of action is to shut up and let it blow over.

By constantly trying to defend him you simply cause him more damage. Perhaps you're not a fan after all and just simply want to continue to pour fuel on the fire...

• Like 1

Even if you are right, time and time again Ward as given them exactly what they want with his failings (mainly off-track). However, this thread is full of people talking about his talent and how they love to watch him ride, but that is not enough to turn a blind eye.

So blame people all you want Puggy, ultimately there is just one person to blame.

He's done wrong. Turned up at the GP with alcohol still in his system , failed a zero tolerance breath test, got a 3000Euro fine and banned from that GP.

What more do you want, his head on a platter.

• Like 1

He's done wrong. Turned up at the GP with alcohol still in his system , failed a zero tolerance breath test, got a 3000Euro fine and banned from that GP.

Funny you should say that, there's a bit of a gap next to Alfredo Garcia.

On second thoughts, on a spike outside the Tower of London would revive an old tradition.

The appropriate action taken as per the rules and regulations of the FIM.

A precedent was set with Stefan Danno.

• Like 4

Storm in a shot glass if you ask me. Just imagine the entertainment if they all turned up half p*ssed. I mean its only bike riding. Look at darts players , for decades they've been hammered whilst throwing missiles at a piece of sisal. And no-ones been killed by a darter yet. :o:D

What you think the matter should just end there?

Havvy would probably contest that thought with you.

It's not like he accidentally had too much alcohol. He is a grown man who knew he had a major meeting the next day.

He made a choice and put his own life and those of his fellow riders at risk.

Bad news is something that happens all the time to people. He is not the first in speedway to get it at an inopportune moment.

If it was that upsetting he should have approached the organisers and took a day off rather than turning to alcohol.

We hear of Nicki, Tai and others as if that's some excuse for Ward.

He is the one who failed a booze test!

At the very least he should be banned from SGP, never get a pick or wildcard again and made to qualify next season if he wants to be part of the 2016 GP.

He should be tested at every major event for the next few years at least. If he wants a world title make him work for it like Woffy did.

It would be sad if he got a worldwide ban as he is a talent.

I enjoy watching him ride. I don't like him as a person even if I don't know him.

The sport has few enough Darcy Ward's.

But making excuses for him does not help his cause. He needs to understand that his actions have consequences and grow up.

I am no Poole hater but perhaps getting away from the comfort zone he has there might do him a bit of good.

I don't want his head on a platter but he has to be taught a very severe lesson for his actions.

Hydrating was not his biggest problem on Saturday :(

• Like 9

A lot depends on how much 'over the limit' he was. It's virtually impossible for anyone to have 0% alcohol in their bloodstream, so if it was below the level for driving, then one might have a degree of sympathy, especially the morning after the night before when any moderate impairment is going to be less after some sleep. I've had a few beers the night before a motor sport event, and whilst I'm careful to moderate it, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that my blood alcohol level wouldn't have been zero even though I'd still be well under the legal limit for driving.

This said, it takes more than a couple of beers to be over any sort of limit umpteen hours later, and even if he wasn't physically impaired, I can't imagine it's the best possible preparation for a world championship event.

• Like 1