British Speedway Forum

RESPECT your view but it's up to the readers to make their own judgements rather than us

Well this reader's judgment is the same as Chris Brown's....the Star has reported the Darcy Ward case very poorly.

unless, of course, comments were of a racist or homophobic nature for example.

What if the comments were untrue or one-sided? (as many were in the Star's disappointing reporting of the Ward case)

Surely you can't be saying it's ok for a newspaper/magazine to print one-sided articles which contain untruths as long as they're not racist or homophobic?

• Like 7

RESPECT your view but it's up to the readers to make their own judgements rather than us unless, of course, comments were of a racist or homophobic nature for example.

Goodness.

I had no idea that the people at the Speedway Star hated Middleditch so much.

That they were deliberately and actively putting the guy up for weekly ridicule.

Actually wanting the whole world to 'make their own judgements' on a total imbecile without exercising some duty of care for the poor chap.

That is just so cruel.

• Like 2

I am not against Mr. Ward - I just think that he should serve his sentence without any favours being given. Unless you want to reward him for his irresponsible behaviour of course.

Would he not have served his sentence by then?

Sentence over get on with it. I would have thought that you would be broad minded enough to agree with that,

After all he isn't a muslim fundamentalist or some such. :wink::D

• Like 2

How can they make up their own judgement if you (and the only other newspaper covering the story) only print one sided articles?

By doing so you have already "decided" what opinion they should have.

AND what was the other side that you wanted printed?

• Like 1

How can they make up their own judgement if you (and the only other newspaper covering the story) only print one sided articles?

By doing so you have already "decided" what opinion they should have.

BUT they didn't change your opinion so why do you think that people are not capable of making up their own minds?

• Like 1

BUT they didn't change your opinion so why do you think that people are not capable of making up their own minds?

Have you not seen the various incredulous comments on social media about how Ward has been hard done by? Even after admitting the offence some joe publics still still it's a big conspiracy by the FIM and other poole haters to get him. There are quite a few less than average intelligence SS readers out there who will believe anything they read and form their opinion any piece of information, true or not, that their provided.

Well this reader's judgment is the same as Chris Brown's....the Star has reported the Darcy Ward case very poorly.

What if the comments were untrue or one-sided? (as many were in the Star's disappointing reporting of the Ward case)

Surely you can't be saying it's ok for a newspaper/magazine to print one-sided articles which contain untruths as long as they're not racist or homophobic?

YOU can't read many newspapers or magazines.

Have you not seen the various incredulous comments on social media about how Ward has been hard done by? Even after admitting the offence some joe publics still still it's a big conspiracy by the FIM and other poole haters to get him. There are quite a few less than average intelligence SS readers out there who will believe anything they read and form their opinion any piece of information, true or not, that their provided.

I'M sorry if all our readers aren't blessed with your level of intelligence.

• Like 1

YOU can't read many newspapers or magazines.

I'M sorry if all our readers aren't blessed with your level of intelligence.

whats it got to do with intelligence? The star printed 1 side of the story and 1 side only. We had to read the ramblings of the fool Middlo and interpret them as gospel. No mention of the CORRECT procedures and length of time being normal just Darcy being hard done by. The star was wanting the speedway world to feel sorry for Poole for Darcy even Muddlo when quite frankly the majority weren't. A bit of proper journalism would have been to seek out what people thought by looking at Twitter and social media and perhaps report on that and even go as far as discussing some of the stuff Middlo wrote from the 'retard' comment to the downright daft things he says. But that wouldn't tow the party line. I've bought the star for years and will continue to do so as I love our sport but the way the Ward story was handled was appalling.
  • Like 9

whats it got to do with intelligence? The star printed 1 side of the story and 1 side only. We had to read the ramblings of the fool Middlo and interpret them as gospel. No mention of the CORRECT procedures and length of time being normal just Darcy being hard done by. The star was wanting the speedway world to feel sorry for Poole for Darcy even Muddlo when quite frankly the majority weren't. A bit of proper journalism would have been to seek out what people thought by looking at Twitter and social media and perhaps report on that and even go as far as discussing some of the stuff Middlo wrote from the 'retard' comment to the downright daft things he says. But that wouldn't tow the party line. I've bought the star for years and will continue to do so as I love our sport but the way the Ward story was handled was appalling.

Did the Star print "only one side" of this story? Or is that assumed because the story did not comply with what you wanted to read? :oops:

a few pages back I listed 5 questions I thought would have bern appropriate for the star to have asked middlo

a few pages back I listed 5 questions I thought would have bern appropriate for the star to have asked middlo
  • Like 3

Did the Star print "only one side" of this story? Or is that assumed because the story did not comply with what you wanted to read? :oops:

Of course they only printed one side of the story. The FIM quite correctly kept quiet considering the legally sensitive nature of the case. You can't really blame the SS for that.

One can understand people getting irritated by the weekly (or so it seemed) ramblings from Middlo, as it was clear he didn't really have a clue, but it is up to the reader to make that decision.

RESPECT your view but it's up to the readers to make their own judgements rather than us unless, of course, comments were of a racist or homophobic nature for example.

A poisoned chalice if ever there was one...

I poisoned cup? kindly explain your comments

Of course they only printed one side of the story. The FIM quite correctly kept quiet considering the legally sensitive nature of the case. You can't really blame the SS for that.

One can understand people getting irritated by the weekly (or so it seemed) ramblings from Middlo, as it was clear he didn't really have a clue, but it is up to the reader to make that decision.

What other side of the story was there to print? Ward turned up to compete, was tested , failed the test. Until the case was heard how could there be another side.

I think that it was a fair enough decision, if a little on the lenient side, at the end of the day if a car driver had have done the same thing they would have been banned for 12 months, both actions put other innocent people at risk.

(Hi Jimbo hope you are well)

Edited by BUDGIE

What other side of the story was there to print? Ward turned up to compete, was tested , failed the test. Until the case was heard how could there be another side.

I think that it was a fair enough decision, if a little on the lenient side, at the end of the day if a car driver had have done the same thing they would have been banned for 12 months, both actions put other innocent people at risk.

(Hi Jimbo hope you are well)

Spot on, but the star didnt go down the route of blaming Ward in anyway and were more keen to print the guff and bluster that Middlo was coming up with week on week

Edited by Gavan
  • Like 5

It won't do Phil. It's like saying the Daily Mail or the Daily Mirror (see I'm being fair!) only report the facts and it's up to people to make up their own mind, when, in fact, the reporting of both is very biased to the view they espouse so it doesn't give people the opportunity to weigh up different views and opinions and more importantly, the facts before coming to their own conclusions. If you're only told one thing you've got no opportunity to come to a proper conclusion.

In the case of the Mail and the Mirror there is the balance of the other paper to help people make up their mind as well as a supposedly neutral BBC. But in the case of the SS, in its monopoly position, you bear a much greater responsibility to see that all views are equally disseminated. This is especially the case where matters of actual fact are are called into question. eg, the 45 days. You really have a duty to point out what the rules say and explain what is actually going on, so that people can take everything into consideration before making their mind up. Sadly, the SS failed to do this.

• Like 9