British Speedway Forum

Does the potential re-emergence of Hampel also reduce the wild card chances ?

WHOSE chances? Assuming that Hampel stays in top eight, three riders (Batchelor, Jonsson and Lindgren) chasing one place. Iversen will get one wild card, most likely one or two Swedes depending on who gets that eighth place.

Why two Swedes? GB dropped down to one rider despite having the GP with the highest attendance. We only got back to two riders as they qualified. Let the Swedes have 1 rider, let AJ and Freddie fight for it next weekend.

Then get some decent rider in who will make a difference, not rider who are in because of some silly numbers game.

ALL hypothetical at the moment. If, for example, Ward gets six months, backdated to when his suspension starts, he could conceivable get a wild card but his chances would be greatly reduced if Batchelor and Holder both finish in the top eight. Four Aussies in the series? Unlikely, Ward could be the wild card Down Under with a view to getting back in 2016.

Just read in this week's SS that Darcy has had his initial 'appeal' against the suspension turned down!! Not sure if that was already in the public domain - I hadn't seen it anywhere?! Presumably that gets rid of any accusations of the wrong procedures in Latvia?!

So he only has the actual FIM Disciplinary Commission Hearing to come - possibly end October if not in November - with the added possibility of WADA involvement if they think the eventual punishment is not sufficient?!

Just read in this week's SS that Darcy has had his initial 'appeal' against the suspension turned down!! Not sure if that was already in the public domain - I hadn't seen it anywhere?! Presumably that gets rid of any accusations of the wrong procedures in Latvia?!

So he only has the actual FIM Disciplinary Commission Hearing to come - possibly end October if not in November - with the added possibility of WADA involvement if they think the eventual punishment is not sufficient?!

THE appeal was against the suspension but does not rule out him challenging the actual procedure in Daugavpils when he appears before the disciplinary committee.

One interesting and undoubtedly controversial thought was thrown into the mix last weekend (and I am not saying it is one I agree with). Ward did not ride under the influence of alcohol. Had he ridden and failed a test after the meeting would that be a different offence to the one he is currently charged with? All professional sportsmen including speedway riders are at all times subject to random drug tests, whether at a racetrack or not or even on their days off but that does not apply to alcohol.

I can sense another 100 pages looming ...

Why two Swedes? GB dropped down to one rider despite having the GP with the highest attendance. We only got back to two riders as they qualified. Let the Swedes have 1 rider, let AJ and Freddie fight for it next weekend.

Then get some decent rider in who will make a difference, not rider who are in because of some silly numbers game.

BECAUSE like it or not there are commercial considerations...

• Like 1

THE appeal was against the suspension but does not rule out him challenging the actual procedure in Daugavpils when he appears before the disciplinary committee.

One interesting and undoubtedly controversial thought was thrown into the mix last weekend (and I am not saying it is one I agree with). Ward did not ride under the influence of alcohol. Had he ridden and failed a test after the meeting would that be a different offence to the one he is currently charged with? All professional sportsmen including speedway riders are at all times subject to random drug tests, whether at a racetrack or not or even on their days off but that does not apply to alcohol.

The rules say you are tested for alcohol at a meeting. Not while you're out on track during a race. I'd love to see the tester race around testing them mid-heat!

Had Darcy signed into the meeting? If so, not a leg to stand on - you could say legless, as it seems he was the night before!

The rules say you are tested for alcohol at a meeting. Not while you're out on track during a race. I'd love to see the tester race around testing them mid-heat!

Had Darcy signed into the meeting? If so, not a leg to stand on - you could say legless, as it seems he was the night before!

First of all they all sign in FOR THE whole season in the winter. Then they sign on for the meetings one at a time. No way out with that excuse.

So totally different to Dudek for example, who rode 'while under the influence' ??!!

Thrown into the mix by who? So what offence IS he currently charged with?

Edited by Jacques

One interesting and undoubtedly controversial thought was thrown into the mix last weekend (and I am not saying it is one I agree with). Ward did not ride under the influence of alcohol. Had he ridden and failed a test after the meeting would that be a different offence to the one he is currently charged with?

I'm not sure I understand the point you're making. What difference does it make whether he was found with alcohol in his system before or after a meeting? The only difference I can see is that he is more likely to have seriously injured himself or someone else if he hadn't been tested beforehand and allowed to ride with alcohol. What is he charged with and what might he have been charged with?

FAILING an alcohol test ...

He failed a breath test, not an alcohol test. What is the actual offence he has been charged with under FIM etc rules. Simple question?

I can't believe this is still being debated. The facts are, Ward failed a breath test and it was his intention to race that day and had he not been caught, he would have done. Anybody who says differently, him included is deluded. He broke the rules and should be punished.

If he is in the 2015 series it turns the speedway world championship into a joke.

• Like 9

The breath tests are (presumably) always taken before a meeting. I assume this is for safety reasons - that no-one rides in a meeting whilst under the influence of alcohol. The fact that he did not ride is because he was tested as being unfit to ride. If he had ridden he might be facing a much bigger charge if he caused an accident - or he might have been seriously/fatally injured himself.

Oh please let's not even contemplate that he will be charged with a lesser offence because he was caught. For me that is completely irrelevant and lets hope 'commercial considerations' are not at play here.

Its like me walking out of the pub pissed up but being breathalysed before I get in my car and that making it OK because I didn't actually drive

But you know my view, the people running this circus couldn't give two hoots about the sport and the impact of allowing a bloke who was planning to ride while breaking rules concerning alcohol. As long as they make money they could give a toss about the sport

Lets hope they prove me wrong because this should NOT be about commercial considerations but Philip's comments suggest the clowns are looking for a way around this

Edited by Chris Brown

Thank god you inserted the remark in parenthesis to disassociate yourself from the 'thought'.

Whoever came up with it is clearly an idiot.

And was, no doubt, 'insufficiently hydrated' at the time.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1