British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Hopes For The Pl In 2015

Spot on.

I prefer the team that finishes top wins.

But our sport simply isn't in a position to turn down the crowds that the play offs generate.

people keep saying this about the income from the play offs..... At the start of the season nobody is guaranteed this income as they don't know if they will qualify....so surely speculating that you will get this income is foolhardy... This season how will all the clubs not in the play off cope is that's the case??... I don't mind the play offs as long as the league winners are recognized.

Think for a system where a team finishing 6th some 20 odd points behind to be classed as champions isn't very good, it leaves the door open for fiddling IMO.... Not that I'm saying scunny did the other year mind :)

If you need gimmicks to contrive close Results why don't you watch WWE. Contriving Results is cheating the Public. No wonder Speedway has NO credibility and the Crowds are drifting away. Who wants to watch a Sport where the 'Powers that be' in the Speedway World actually make Rules that technically 'fiddle' the Results.

THAT and the 'Play Offs' are the only reasons that I have stopped going to Speedway - perhaps those people in power might consider that, and, that a lot of others may have stopped going for the same reasons.

More interesting - Rubbish!!!

Speedway is supposed to be a Sport

I watch Cradley...every week we see two tactical rides, every week they do absoultly nothing! We romp away every week, and the fans are now fed up of it!

I watched the Lions aswell and they have come from 10points down to win! THATS SPORT!

The underdog, the comebcak, the last gasp...these are what make it a sport! Rules are set before a match and both teams no the rules...its up to both teams to make the most of them, when the tactical ride comes the other team can stop it or the can bring the score back but 7 points! They dont fiddle the results at all because its is known about it before they start the meeting. Without those tactical rides there would have been a 4 point gain but the match would not have been turned on its head!

Speedway is a sport where when the riders are close the action is better, also when the score is close the action is better!

THE PLAY OFFS, the only thing that gets people through the gates... the crowds at those matches are the only ones worthy of the great past times and even then there still a mile off! Without the Play offs leagues would be over before september for some teams, how are those teams suposed to get people through the gate when theres nothing to play for.

Id like to point out im 25! A younger fan, my dad is 63 and he still comes and complains about these type of things just like you...

I think its a generation thing but i understand there are purists but thats not how it is anymore!

• Like 3

I watch Cradley...every week we see two tactical rides, every week they do absoultly nothing! We romp away every week, and the fans are now fed up of it!

I watched the Lions aswell and they have come from 10points down to win! THATS SPORT!

The underdog, the comebcak, the last gasp...these are what make it a sport! Rules are set before a match and both teams no the rules...its up to both teams to make the most of them, when the tactical ride comes the other team can stop it or the can bring the score back but 7 points! They dont fiddle the results at all because its is known about it before they start the meeting. Without those tactical rides there would have been a 4 point gain but the match would not have been turned on its head!

Speedway is a sport where when the riders are close the action is better, also when the score is close the action is better!

THE PLAY OFFS, the only thing that gets people through the gates... the crowds at those matches are the only ones worthy of the great past times and even then there still a mile off! Without the Play offs leagues would be over before september for some teams, how are those teams suposed to get people through the gate when theres nothing to play for.

Id like to point out im 25! A younger fan, my dad is 63 and he still comes and complains about these type of things just like you...

I think its a generation thing but i understand there are purists but thats not how it is anymore!

I think when I first started going there were more variety,cup competitions, more individual meetings, four team tournaments.So if your club was out of the running for silver wear fans still come now there is just a basic league programme and that's it.
  • Like 1

I think when I first started going there were more variety,cup competitions, more individual meetings, four team tournaments.So if your club was out of the running for silver wear fans still come now there is just a basic league programme and that's it.

I could not agree more. The opposite of variety is boredom. Fans won't pay good money if they are bored with what's on offer, but will come if they have something different to watch. I think back to the 60's..we had a strong league programme, London Cup, K,O, cup, London riders championship, Tests, World Champioship qualifiers, Golden Helmet match race etc. etc.. something to keep us coming back every week.

I have been banging on about this for ages.

Tracks that are basically the same as they were in 1928 (apart from Air Fences) and Bikes that are rocket ships in comparison to the original type of Bike that raced on them. You are 100% correct - the speed of the Bikes does need to be slowed. This would not, in my opinion, spoil the entertainment value - but it would be safer and less expensive.

I would imagine a few Engine Tuners would throw their hands in the air at what I am going to say next. Engines should be manufactured so that Riders themselves could work on them - this again would reduce costs.

None of this will happen though - too many vested interests involved.

There is nothing stopping riders maintaining there own engines,in fact I personally find it easier to remove the head and barrel from a gm compared to how you had to on a weslake or 2 valve jawa, never did enjoy putting the head back on my 2 valve jawa with them funny square bolts.