British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mickthemuppet

Gorzow Gp-30th August 2014

So the incidents have nothing to do with the offset/ baby offset engines introduced after the current silencers?

EDIT: new silencers will be introduced 010115. They are the same design with lower dB. Maybe better wake up and start to live with them.

WHAT about if someone dies with one?

what about if someone dies from being burnt from the current ones which produce a crazy amount of heat and befire you say about shield they dont cover the whole silencer.

Why? Another option would be that FIM could actually allow silencers that works and that are not dangerous.

Two Swedish Engineers Bengt Eriksson and Conny Samuelsson ("BECO") had constructed a silencers that was both fulfilling the dB limit

but which also did not "strangle" the engine like the current silencers do. However FIM decided that it wasn't good because it contained packing.

So why did they build one that they knew was against the rules? Like Demski.

Theres a reason why the rule did not change regarding how the silencers should be built. I dont know what it is though. I saw an insert probably of the same guys on Cmore a while back. They did ask good questions. Incidentally, I'd say you can use packing for isolation in the new ones, just that it cant be in contact with the fumes.

A bit stupid comment IMO. I have a list on my home PC about everyone since Kenny Olsson 2008. Lets just cut it short from the date that 115db was made mandatory, blame each on silencers and then ask why nothing was done.

I still think the silencer is not the only cause. It's a combibation of things. Offset engines being one of the big ones.

Edited by f-s-p

FSP as for the packing, if I remember it correctly FIA claimed that the packing lost effect over time and that each silencer had to be able to

be fully working for 5 years so all silencers have to 100% mechanical to be approved. To bad since the previous (they have made a new mechanical one now)

Beco silencer received allot of praise from the riders (including Jarek Hampel and Janusz Kolodziej) who tested it.

Bikes were much easier to ride since the engine didn't loose as much torque/power as the current silencers do.

http://www.espeedway.pl/news,kolodziej_i_hampel_po_testach_szwedzkiego_tlumika,64463,2.html

http://www.gloswielkopolski.pl/artykul/975854,zuzel-problemy-z-tlumikami-dobiegaja-konca,id,t.html?cookie=1

Also Mikael Max says that he like the BECO silencer:

http://mikaelmax.blogspot.se/2013/03/fick-brev-idag-fran-bertil-andersson.html

http://mikaelmax.blogspot.se/2013/03/anders-kling-besokte-mig-idag-och-hade.html

I also don't think anyone is blaming the silencer for all accidents/crashes but that many of the crashes where a rider looses control/gets front

wheel lifts because the engine power is not sufficient to get the back wheel spinning.

Surely today's engine type was used before the silencers where introduced? So the question is still why they impose silencers that does not work with the current engines?

I also would like to correct myself the name of the BE part of BECO is Bertil Andersson.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Surely today's engine type was used before the silencers where introduced? So the question is still why they impose silencers that does not work with the current engines?

Lets switch that around. Why use engines that don't work with the silencers?

Lets switch that around. Why use engines that don't work with the silencers?

Why? Surely the engine model was used before the arrival of the new silencers? Also a silencer is obvioulsy a much simpler thing to construct then a speedway engine.

Why? Surely the engine model was used before the arrival of the new silencers? Also a silencer is obvioulsy a much simpler thing to construct then a speedway engine.

The engine model is largely the reason meetings get called off if a track is anything but perfect.

A stroke motor with light flywheels just compounds the difficulties the new silencers bring but riders were happy to bin the old long stroke motors years ago in favour of "ride with one hand behind your back" type motors. Surely in the search for safety they will be happy to do the reverse now

The engine model is largely the reason meetings get called off if a track is anything but perfect.

A stroke motor with light flywheels just compounds the difficulties the new silencers bring but riders were happy to bin the old long stroke motors years ago in

favour of "ride with one hand behind your back" type motors. Surely in the search for safety they will be happy to do the reverse now

So how long have this "Offset engine" been around then?

So how long have this "Offset engine" been around then?

Dont know, 3 or 4 years. I was referring more to short stroke and light flywheels

Not putting any money on it, but offset engines came about the same time as the current silencers. Baby offset is newer.