British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tommy Sweetman

Wolves V Leicester 1/09

If there was 500 people there last night I'd be amazed. Apathy and a total lack of atmosphere. I saw a group of fans near the tapes and one was on his phone texting furiously during heats, one staring at the floor and the others reading their programme - not one of them watching the action.

In 25 years of going to Wolves, last night for me was a new low. Sure we've had 2 wooden spoons in that time, but at least we had some entertainment in those seasons - its been dire this year.

• Like 2

If there was 500 people there last night I'd be amazed. Apathy and a total lack of atmosphere. I saw a group of fans near the tapes and one was on his phone texting furiously during heats, one staring at the floor and the others reading their programme - not one of them watching the action.

In 25 years of going to Wolves, last night for me was a new low. Sure we've had 2 wooden spoons in that time, but at least we had some entertainment in those seasons - its been dire this year.

That sums up the 2014 Elite lge perfectly mb .... The Elite lge is now a dead man walking imo..

Have to agree mb,the place was absolutely dead.Might even have been our lowest crowd since our ill-fated venture into the lower league.

Even though im not his biggest fan,Porky did try his best to create some kind of atmosphere,but everyone just seemed down and couldnt be bothered.

Another sad part of it for me,was the decline of PK.A shadow of the rider we loved and admired,just cant see him being part of the plans for next season.

Even though im not his biggest fan,Porky did try his best to create some kind of atmosphere,but everyone just seemed down and couldnt be bothered.

Porky always does his best. Thank god we have someone who helps the atmosphere instead of the usual dullard presentation.

I enjoyed it. However, the crowd level was alarmingly low, and the atmosphere was the worst I've known at Monmore. At Leicester we were told the move "up" to the EL would give us exciting and attractive matches with rival teams across the Midlands. There were barely 20 Lions fans there (and I'm not sure how many of those paid to get in). The Elite League is on its last legs.

I enjoyed it. However, the crowd level was alarmingly low, and the atmosphere was the worst I've known at Monmore. At Leicester we were told the move "up" to the EL would give us exciting and attractive matches with rival teams across the Midlands. There were barely 20 Lions fans there (and I'm not sure how many of those paid to get in). The Elite League is on its last legs.

Who in there right mind would pay £17 to see NO PAWLICKI, NO WOFFY and NO DOYLE. And then throw in Schlein as a supposed number one??

The meeting had nothing to do with how exciting the EL has been or not this year.

Its more to do with offering the fans a way sub standard product and charging full price for the privilege to watch.

Nothing would have stopped me from going if as a gestured the price had been reduced to £10- £12. But £17?? Thankfully i wasn't born yesterday.

• Like 4

Who in there right mind would pay £17 to see NO PAWLICKI, NO WOFFY and NO DOYLE. And then throw in Schlein as a supposed number one??

The meeting had nothing to do with how exciting the EL has been or not this year.

Its more to do with offering the fans a way sub standard product and charging full price for the privilege to watch.

Nothing would have stopped me from going if as a gestured the price had been reduced to £10- £12. But £17?? Thankfully i wasn't born yesterday.

What and miss out on a rare opportunity to see the Leicester Lions. :o

I went a fortnight ago, but 240 miles to see rider replacement - just not worth it.

[i just suppose I should be grateful we didn't have Kylmakorpi]

Blimey,things must be bad.Wolfsbane aint been on yet to bury the hatchet in CVS or Adams head. :lol: .

Perhaps even he has given up on lost causes :cry: .

• Like 1

Interesting reading some of the comments on here...

The racing last night was excellent. Watching it on Bet365 where meetings can come across as very tedious in deed was actually enjoyable. Thorsell 4th to 1st (grabbing it on the line) being a particular highlight. Even Nicolai pulled of a well executed cut back to pass PK (after PK had earlier passed him). It was most certainly far more entertaining than most meetings that I have seen this season from Monmore with the 'bigger names' in.

What this once again shows though is some fans aren't actually bothered about the standard of the racing, but about the 'perceived' standard of the racing. I can understand that to an extent, I can understand the complaints over the strength of the teams... but what I can't understand is people claiming the racing was poor when it most certainly wasn't.

The comments do back up my assertions (and others) that TNT's much promoted system would be doomed to failure.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

I must admit once I knew Pawlicki was not riding and no Woffy I stopped at home im not paying £17 to watch a PL side and I do like watching Thorsell and Bjerre.

• Like 1

I must admit once I knew Pawlicki was not riding and no Woffy I stopped at home im not paying £17 to watch a PL side and I do like watching Thorsell and Bjerre.

You must have a great deal of sympathy for PL fans then.. after all they pay almost as much to do just that each and every week.

I'll forgive your ignorance of the circumstances that meant I could afford to be there.

And £17 quid for that quality with Schlein as a number one??

I will keep my money thanks. :t:

Personally I'd rather pay £17 to watch riders who want to be there, putting in maximum effort and providing some superb racing with passing in the vast majority of heats ....

than £17 to watch some big names not particularly interested and average to poor racing.

Personally I'd rather pay £17 to watch riders who want to be there, putting in maximum effort and providing some superb racing with passing in the vast majority of heats ....

than £17 to watch some big names not particularly interested and average to poor racing.

BW,i agree with you about the racing,tbh it was one of the best meetings weve seen this season,just a pity, so few of us to see the action.

To be fair to those that didnt attend,can fully understand why.Think losing Pawlicki was the final straw.