British Speedway Forum
Edward Barrett

Eastbourne V Kings Lynn, 6th September.

Yes go back and read my post cos unless you're BD you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Owwww should I report you gee jay for childish name calling :o

BTW what was the track like last night, was there a foot of material on the outside like the last time Lynn were there? :-)

Right a different perspective on last night.

Due to various personal reasons last night was my first visit to Eastie in 4 years, after being a regular since 1971. No I had not gone "inside"!, work changes and finance!!

Not much had changed.

Saw many familiar faces, the same lady was in the entry booth who I am sure was there when I paid to go in in the 70s'!

Met up with the same faces that I stood with over many years, seen their children grow up, they had seen mine grow up.

Never knew their names, they did not know mine. It did not matter, we just took up where we left off

This is what makes speedway special.

You support your team, obviously, but the tribalism between supporters that is so prevalent in football is not there in speedway. There were a group of 4/5 KL supporters nearby, cheering their team on, exchanging banter and compliments.

As for the meeting, we won and got 2 points, KL rallied in the second half and deserved their point.

Sarjeant was good value for his 8, Kerr looks good, Porshing woke up and made all the difference.

Personally I hope KL go all the way and win outright, obviously to shut up our south coast neighbours, but also to show that "massaging" the rule book does not work.

Finally, the Dugard family have been involved with Eastie for many decades I remember Charlie Dugard watching with a Hawks eye the track staff on a sunday going about their duties. It was his longed for wish that top flight racing came to Arlington.

It did.

BD is not everyones cup of tea, but no one can deny his passion for the sport over the years, how much of his own money he has put into keeping the sport alive in Sussex will not be known.

If last night will be the last time that Speedway bikes will be heard in competition in Sussex, then an era will come to a close.

That will be a very sad moment for us in Sussex, and also for British Speedway in general.

• Like 3

Yes go back and read my post cos unless you're BD you shouldn't have a problem with it.

BTW what was the track like last night, was there a foot of material on the outside like the last time Lynn were there? :-)

go ahead, it will save me reading posts from you in future. and there was a lovely lot of dirt around the fence thats why lewis did so well , he put his back wheel in it instead of crying about it.

• Like 1

It appears Eastbourne might have to do without Cameron Woodward for a time. This is translated off Sportowefaty.pl.

To a dangerous collapse in first gear in Lublin. Only the victim, Cameron Woodward, was taken to hospital with a suspected broken leg.

The collision occurred on the first lap of the second arc. Cameron Woodward rode on the third position against Maksimem Bogdanowem. Of Livonia, which brought slightly out of balance, and also Australian, he lost control of the motorcycle-a moment later he fall. The judge decided to exclude from the Player Lokomotivu Daugavpils, however it was at this point the most important thing.

On the track left the ambulance and took Some to the hospital. As the announcer gave the competition, Woodward will most likely broke his leg.

Lol - ofc Swindon are there. Can you honestly see Eastie getting 8 points away?? Swindon have another away to come anyway (BV) and even if Coventry win there next week they're still odds-on.

The only thing that could mess up Swindon's chances is the possibility of not completing their fixtures - and same with Coventry for finishing top, and if that happened it would be criminal.

The play-offs are a poor way to decide League Champs anyway without a stupid cut-off date dictating who's in and who isn't. :shock:

Swindon arent there but probably will be. Eagles CAN get 4 points at Wolves tomorrow but i do believe they will struggle to pick up away points elsewhere.

Why would it be criminal if Coventry finished top?? If they score the most points then they have clearly had the better overall season. Simple as!

As for the Play offs................ Best thing that happened to modern Speedway.

As for cut off dates, if teams don't cancel meetings to suit then some wouldn't be struggling to fit them in.

I think Star Fever means it would be criminal if Coventry didn't finish top purely because all of their fixture couldn't be fitted in.

• Like 3

The track was as bumpy as usual with the age old dugard tractor lapping ensuring the dirt was in the right place for whichever eagles riders were in the next heat. at least we didn't' have the wheelbarrow and shovel team operating topping up the run in to bend one like last meeting.

Long live Eastbourne. Long live fair track preparation to allow a good meeting.

The point last night is like winning 4 points elsewhere.

Why should away fans say we love the track and love Bob. Hope Eastbourne continues, and hope it is under a regime that prepares a decent track. Go ahead and twist that to whatever negatives you like - seems that's what this forum is all about.

It appears Eastbourne might have to do without Cameron Woodward for a time. This is translated off Sportowefaty.pl.

To a dangerous collapse in first gear in Lublin. Only the victim, Cameron Woodward, was taken to hospital with a suspected broken leg.

The collision occurred on the first lap of the second arc. Cameron Woodward rode on the third position against Maksimem Bogdanowem. Of Livonia, which brought slightly out of balance, and also Australian, he lost control of the motorcycle-a moment later he fall. The judge decided to exclude from the Player Lokomotivu Daugavpils, however it was at this point the most important thing.

On the track left the ambulance and took Some to the hospital. As the announcer gave the competition, Woodward will most likely broke his leg.

Dreadful news. Out of all riders last night Cameron stood out engaging with fans on the parades and acknowledging the applause from the grandstand on the way back to the pits, although not the best night for him score wise. Hope for a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

Swindon arent there but probably will be. Eagles CAN get 4 points at Wolves tomorrow but i do believe they will struggle to pick up away points elsewhere.

Why would it be criminal if Coventry finished top?? If they score the most points then they have clearly had the better overall season. Simple as!

As for the Play offs................ Best thing that happened to modern Speedway.

As for cut off dates, if teams don't cancel meetings to suit then some wouldn't be struggling to fit them in.

So basically you're agreeing with me then. Swindon are there UNLESS Eastie pick up 2 away wins at least :wink:

And yes OBVIOUSLY I was referring to the fact that if Coventry were prevented from finishing top due to non-completion of fixtures it would be criminal!

As for the play-offs, ok you go on believing that :P

So basically you're agreeing with me then. Swindon are there UNLESS Eastie pick up 2 away wins at least :wink:

And yes OBVIOUSLY I was referring to the fact that if Coventry were prevented from finishing top due to non-completion of fixtures it would be criminal!

As for the play-offs, ok you go on believing that :P

I do, and so do the hoards that travel for them. :t:

I do, and so do the hoards that travel for them. :t:

I'm sure the same hordes would happily travel to watch their team(s) in a crucial match that might win the league for them too, but hey you're right of course - what does it matter if the actual completion of the league and final positions are brushed aside till after the almighty play-offs are sorted eh? As long as there are 4 teams in the MERE SIX play-off matches to keep Sky and the hordes happy its fine isn't it! Who cares if the top team in the league after 144 matches over seven months of a season don't win the league eh? As long as the team that does best in the 2 or 3 weeks of play-offs wins the league that's all that matters isn't it!!

:t:

Edited by Star Fever
  • Like 2

I'm sure the same hordes would happily travel to watch their team(s) in a crucial match that might win the league for them too, but hey you're right of course - what does it matter if the actual completion of the league and final positions are brushed aside till after the almighty play-offs are sorted eh? As long as there are 4 teams in the MERE SIX play-off matches to keep Sky and the hordes happy its fine isn't it! Who cares if the top team in the league after 144 matches over seven months of a season don't win the league eh? As long as the team that does best in the 2 or 3 weeks of play-offs wins the league that's all that matters isn't it!!

:t:

Who said that the completion of the league isn't important??

Without them we wouldn't know who the best 4 teams are for the play offs, its simple really. :t:

What IS all that matters is what brings the crowds to watch Speedway, and besides the Cardiff GP the play offs offer what people want.

You don't have to like it and in an ideal world all the top boys would be here, all league meetings would be well attended and British Speedway would have credible leagues.

Oh yeah, we did back in the 60`s, 70`s and 80`s.

Lots of sports titles are decided in a end of season climax competition. I have no idea why you and some think we should be any different.

Long live the Play Offs. :approve:

Who said that the completion of the league isn't important??

Without them we wouldn't know who the best 4 teams are for the play offs, its simple really. :t:

What IS all that matters is what brings the crowds to watch Speedway, and besides the Cardiff GP the play offs offer what people want.

You don't have to like it and in an ideal world all the top boys would be here, all league meetings would be well attended and British Speedway would have credible leagues.

Oh yeah, we did back in the 60`s, 70`s and 80`s.

Lots of sports titles are decided in a end of season climax competition. I have no idea why you and some think we should be any different.

Long live the Play Offs. :approve:

Has this helped other teams that don't make the play-offs though.

There seems to be a few teams in some kind of trouble.Birmingham gone,Eastbourne?

I don't have the answer to a fix,but shouldn't the powers that be,be looking at ways to improve attendances at league meetings.Instead they seem to think,like you that we will have big crowds that will benefit 4 teams at the end of the season so everything is rosy.

Well it's not rosy for teams like Belle Vue,Eastbourne and the others that haven't made it.

Maybe Sky come in at the wrong time,and the promoters were happy to take the money that was on offer.This ensured they didn't have to think of ways to imrove the attendance levels.Well now the Sky money seems to be dwindling it is certainly tough times for some teams.

• Like 2

Has this helped other teams that don't make the play-offs though.

There seems to be a few teams in some kind of trouble.Birmingham gone,Eastbourne?

I don't have the answer to a fix,but shouldn't the powers that be,be looking at ways to improve attendances at league meetings.Instead they seem to think,like you that we will have big crowds that will benefit 4 teams at the end of the season so everything is rosy.

Well it's not rosy for teams like Belle Vue,Eastbourne and the others that haven't made it.

Maybe Sky come in at the wrong time,and the promoters were happy to take the money that was on offer.This ensured they didn't have to think of ways to imrove the attendance levels.Well now the Sky money seems to be dwindling it is certainly tough times for some teams.

And just what would the `old style top of the league wins` have done for the rest of them too? Even less.

There are teams struggling for crowds in the PL so this isn't an EL exclusive issue.