British Speedway Forum
kitten2502

Birmingham Brummies - Has The Come Back Trail Started?

I like the positivity but at present,Birmingham,Wolverhampton,Coventry and Cradley added together doesn't come to 4000 fans

I have a sneaking idea that your maths is out here!

I think he said it Tongue in cheek, but if The Brummies return, even the National League would be better than nowt, especially if Cradley remain NL, they would be sure to get at least 2 good crowds per season.its just the other 8/9 meetings they would need to attract spectators, but surely they could get 250/300 for NL meetings, and that would be enough to pay its way, Mole and Drury have both run NL Teams so they know what it needs and takes.. I guess it all depends what the Stadium rent is, wether or not NL Speedway is viable, because riders wages wouldnt break the bank,.

I would take anything to be honest with you, the last few months have been hell. When you love going to speedway every single week without fail , its hard to stop going just like that. Its amazing how much you miss it when its gone, alot fans criticise their own clubs for various reasons but at least they have a team to support.

I just hope Tony's had a good response regarding the meeting to be held next wedensday. We have to remember whilst Tony is aiming to bring the Brummies back, he's in semi- retirement and cant run it alone so its for others in this proposed consortium to run the club.

My main preference is for the Brummies to be in the Premier League with Cradley moving up so we have a good local derby and big crowds. We have a number of PL standard rider assets ( should we get them back from the BSPA). King, Covatti, L Lindgren, Rusty Harrison and whilst Barker is a Cov asset he I would imagine be very much in the plans. So the basis of a solid side

Just have everything crossed that we get some positive news next week

Edited by Brummie Kev

I feel pretty sure Tony must have got the Go ahead from the GRA that the stadium will be available to use next season, otherwise he would not be wasting his own and other peoples time by calling this meeting. I still believe Birmingham can succesfully run either PL or NL Speedway in the 2nd city, historically i believe The Brummies have always had most success when they have ridden in the lower leagues of British speedway, the supporters seem to prefer to be a Big fish in a small pond, rather than a small fish in the big pond, also having worked with Brummie folk, they do tend to watch there pennies, and with lots of manufacturing jobs over the years, maybe it would be worth giving the NL a shot, dependent on what Cradley do in 2015, because i do believe they need to have local derbies to boost interest in the City, and theres none bigger than Cradley meetings despite what a few folk may think.

It will be great to see the Brummies back in speedway in 2015, and i hope there is a positive move to bring this about come next wednesday.

I feel pretty sure Tony must have got the Go ahead from the GRA that the stadium will be available to use next season, otherwise he would not be wasting his own and other peoples time by calling this meeting. I still believe Birmingham can succesfully run either PL or NL Speedway in the 2nd city, historically i believe The Brummies have always had most success when they have ridden in the lower leagues of British speedway, the supporters seem to prefer to be a Big fish in a small pond, rather than a small fish in the big pond, also having worked with Brummie folk, they do tend to watch there pennies, and with lots of manufacturing jobs over the years, maybe it would be worth giving the NL a shot, dependent on what Cradley do in 2015, because i do believe they need to have local derbies to boost interest in the City, and theres none bigger than Cradley meetings despite what a few folk may think.

It will be great to see the Brummies back in speedway in 2015, and i hope there is a positive move to bring this about come next wednesday.

Not sure what this dependence on local derbies is ? In the Elite League Birmingham had 6 home matches which were local derbies against Wolves,Cov and Leicester and they still ended up closing the doors.

I have a sneaking idea that your maths is out here!

If my maths is out its not by much !

Great news to hear this is a possibility and even better news to hear that a very loved British rider will be riding there too -- after all he deserves a break -- so much talent and too many injuries. Lets hope 2015 is a good all round year for speedway!

Great news to hear this is a possibility and even better news to hear that a very loved British rider will be riding there too -- after all he deserves a break -- so much talent and too many injuries. Lets hope 2015 is a good all round year for speedway!

Adam Roynon???, Really hope so as hes well loved with Brummies fans. Was a 9 point PL rider when he last rode for us.

Adam Roynon???, Really hope so as hes well loved with Brummies fans. Was a 9 point PL rider when he last rode for us.

He was faster than Jason Lyons, and not many riders could say that ... injuries ruined his career. Would love to see him back, but doubt if he would fit in a team with King, Barker and Covatti.

I feel pretty sure Tony must have got the Go ahead from the GRA that the stadium will be available to use next season,

I think that the GRA are hoping and praying that Tony Mole will bring speedway back, and that next Wednesday's meeting will be a success.

Without speedway's rental revenue, there's a belief that the GRA can't make the stadium pay for itself from greyhound racing alone. The last 7 years have seen greyhound racing whittling down from 4 nights a week to just two. Without the speedway, that stadium may well close of its own accord.

The good news there then is that it improves Tony Mole's bargaining position from where he was in 2006/2007 in that the GRA probably need the Brummies now, more than they did 7-8 years ago, and their terms and conditions could be a lot more attractive as a result.

Let's hope so anyway.

• Like 2

I think that the GRA are hoping and praying that Tony Mole will bring speedway back, and that next Wednesday's meeting will be a success.

Without speedway's rental revenue, there's a belief that the GRA can't make the stadium pay for itself from greyhound racing alone. The last 7 years have seen greyhound racing whittling down from 4 nights a week to just two. Without the speedway, that stadium may well close of its own accord.

The good news there then is that it improves Tony Mole's bargaining position from where he was in 2006/2007 in that the GRA probably need the Brummies now, more than they did 7-8 years ago, and their terms and conditions could be a lot more attractive as a result.

Let's hope so anyway.

Plus 2 BAGS meetings every week-these are where the money is made.

Nothing personal against Adam Roynon, as I really loved watching him in action in 2008...HOWEVER...let's face facts, he can't go through a season without picking up horrible injuries. To see him break his leg in 5 places at Rye House just from laying his bike down to avoid Phil Morris, just showed one inescapable fact about his physical make-up, that he is too brittle boned. Someone close to him ought to be telling that to him as well, as he's going to suffer in later life from the complications all these injuries could inflict on him. Sorry, but I'd rather pay for Roynon to retire and preserve his health than to see him on a countdown to another injury in Brummies colours.

• Like 5

Let's hope so anyway.

Really hope you're right as far as terms and conditions are concerned.

Plus 2 BAGS meetings every week-these are where the money is made.

Have you seen the attendance at a BAGS meeting? - The dogs owners are there, and maybe some close family. That's it. If they are relying on television broadcast revenues then they are on a dodgy wicket for the long term IMHO

Have you seen the attendance at a BAGS meeting? - The dogs owners are there, and maybe some close family. That's it. If they are relying on television broadcast revenues then they are on a dodgy wicket for the long term IMHO

They don`t care how many are there-it`s free entry anyway-it`s all about the BAGS fee which is quite substantial.

They don`t care how many are there-it`s free entry anyway-it`s all about the BAGS fee which is quite substantial.

But not future proof.

People are broadening their directions and horizons when it comes to gambling and "old fashioned dog racing" may go out of fashion without notice. Put the BAGS business model to a vote at the Dragons Den and I think you'll get a unanimous "I'm OUT". Let's face it, punters can win or lose money gambling on virtual dog racing...why should the providers of a gambling service go to the expense of paying for the real thing?

But not future proof.

People are broadening their directions and horizons when it comes to gambling and "old fashioned dog racing" may go out of fashion without notice. Put the BAGS business model to a vote at the Dragons Den and I think you'll get a unanimous "I'm OUT". Let's face it, punters can win or lose money gambling on virtual dog racing...why should the providers of a gambling service go to the expense of paying for the real thing?

So If we follow your chain of thought-Horse Racing is doomed as well-might as well just have virtual.