British Speedway Forum
kitten2502

Birmingham Brummies - Has The Come Back Trail Started?

I'm sure nl is not what brummies or heathens fans want but this is fantastic news.it might not be sustainable for years to come but let's next year both sets of fans turn out in large numbers to show both clubs have sufficient support to move onwards and upwards

• Like 2

I'm sure the Team Manager will be Jack Lee, he is the most experienced man in the league, and with his experience he could put out a very competitive team.

Edited by Bentley

Great news for both Teams, Team manager well Phil Morris or Jack Lee both have the contacts for NL Brum will do well if either of them are appointed, now for the local derbies lol, a potential mouth watering prospect because as some of you know us Heathens can be a fervent lot, and The Brummies might need awakening from there slumbers hahaha.

The NL certainly seems to be on an upward curve at the moment, with the prospect of a few new Southern Teams, and now Cradley confirmed and The Brummies to apply, it only needs Leicester to come on board now and 2015 should be interesting to say the least.

Great News for both clubs, thank you Tony Mole. An expanded NL will be great for the sport .Looking forward to it!!

• Like 1

Glad that something has been sorted out.

Be interesting to see how things pan out for the Brummies, as, to quote a famous phrase, this is where the work really starts. Good luck and all power to the elbows of those who are going to have to roll their sleeves up and get grafting as there is some serious work to be done to make this work for the long term.

• Like 1

We really need a reduced points limit and a maximum spend per point (adhered to) with the goals of the league being clear to all. i.e. development of young talent. I read what was said on another thread about stand alone teams needing to win (at all costs)for their fans, but I'm sorry, I disagree...too strong teams are the scourge of this league and are unsustainable for the club and the league as a whole. Scunny took it too far, but all teams should start equal for the league to prosper. If that means Cradley (for instance)do not field the strongest team they can afford then that is desirable. In my view the worst thing that can happen is if one team runs away with the league again. This league is not about winning, its about entertainment and developing young talent. I cannot see that any rider over say 25 should be eligible. This is a model which I believe is looking at the bigger picture and when the EL goes belly up will still be around to feed the remaining PL.

Edited by Mike.Butler
  • Like 5

We really need a reduced points limit and a maximum spend per point (adhered to) with the goals of the league being clear to all. i.e. development of young talent. I read what was said on another thread about stand alone teams needing to win (at all costs)for their fans, but I'm sorry, I disagree...too strong teams are the scourge of this league and are unsustainable for the club and the league as a whole. Scunny took it too far, but all teams should start equal for the league to prosper. If that means Cradley (for instance)do not field the strongest team they can afford then that is desirable. In my view the worst thing that can happen is if one team runs away with the league again. This league is not about winning, its about entertainment and developing young talent. I cannot see that any rider over say 25 should be eligible. This is a model which I believe is looking at the bigger picture and when the EL goes belly up will still be around to feed the remaining PL.

Oh dear...so much for signing Jon Armstrong and Tony Atkin as Birmingham's heat leaders then.

Seriously though, I take on board the Scunthorpe comment, but then wonder, if the over 25's are kept out of the NL, and with the net addtion of one extra team, where are all the young riders going to come from to fill up all the team places, unless the lower age limit is reduced to (say) 14 like in Germany?

Edited by uk martin

Oh dear...so much for signing Jon Armstrong and Tony Atkin as Birmingham's heat leaders then.

Seriously though, I take on board the Scunthorpe comment, but then wonder, if the over 25's are kept out of the NL, and with the net addtion of one extra team, where are all the young riders going to come from to fill up all the team places, unless the lower age limit is reduced to (say) 14 like in Germany?

There are plenty of young riders out there, but it will need some lowering of standards; no Cradley-type teams.

Old riders are not the issue, how many old riders didn Scunthorpe and Cradley have been them? None. The issue is the sharing out of riders and that averages don't really work in a NL where riders are improving at a greater rate than the EL so there are more obvious ringers/bargain averaged riders out there for the top teams to snap up. But short of saying, "16 year old Johhny averaged 5 this year, but the second half the year was riding like a 7 pointer so we'll make his average 8 for next year" you'll never stop that. And imagine doing that? Putting young, improving riders averages up :o

Maybe the answer is to pick say the top 20 likely improvers and say each team can sign no more than 2 of them, Cradley can't sign 7 of them that way.

Wow, barely a week after the sad death of Dan McCormack and we're still talking about Cradley and something akin to cheque book speedway. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. :o

Now I'm a bit out of date here, but doesn't/didn't the NL work on the basis of graded riders anyway?

Edited by uk martin

When are the heathens gonna step up and play with the big boys ? all this "we're champs again" is great in the NL, but it's like having the biggest willy in the nursery....... it's all very well but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't count for much

Its a little difficult trying to defend the indefensible, but i can honestly say, the majority of Cradley fans wanted us to move up in 2015, however with the Track situation this became more or less impossible, we are fortunate to have a Track for 2015 so to enter the PL as well would have meant 2 things,1. to big a risk financially, and something people may forget 2. there would have been No Brummies. at least for 2015 this will give Birmingham and Cradley a chance to regroup and re asess after the 2015 season.

• Like 3