British Speedway Forum
Skodaman

Leicester Lions 2015

With 2 more decent riders in the team next season, I see no reason that the Lions can't get into the middle of the EL table. It will all depend on what happens with the decision that Jason Doyle makes to what happens with the team. But I can't see that DH will will looking to drop down into the PL again.

All you can say that these 2 years in the EL have been a very sharpe learning curve, they tried this year to get a decent team together but it all went belly flop and then suffering from a series of endless accidents.

No one can blame the team or the management for a lack of trying, but this year as with last year where both years that went against the Lions doing anything in the league, so I just hope that they can retain the 3 riders I mentioned before and then bring in a couple more half decent riders and hopefully things will change for the better.

I for one wouldn't want to see them drop down a league, what the point in that, other than you get more meetings to attend.

• Like 1

With 2 more decent riders in the team next season, I see no reason that the Lions can't get into the middle of the EL table. It will all depend on what happens with the decision that Jason Doyle makes to what happens with the team. But I can't see that DH will will looking to drop down into the PL again.

All you can say that these 2 years in the EL have been a very sharpe learning curve, they tried this year to get a decent team together but it all went belly flop and then suffering from a series of endless accidents.

No one can blame the team or the management for a lack of trying, but this year as with last year where both years that went against the Lions doing anything in the league, so I just hope that they can retain the 3 riders I mentioned before and then bring in a couple more half decent riders and hopefully things will change for the better.

I for one wouldn't want to see them drop down a league, what the point in that, other than you get more meetings to attend.

More meetings different teams, that would be great to see surely than a weakened elite league that has weeks without a meeting and seeing the same team most weeks.

I totally agree about being in the premier league. There were meetings almost every week against various oppoosition plus we had the league cup, the knockout cup as well as pairs and fours tournaments and I don't know what's happened to the Pride of the Midlands either ? Well done to Doyle in the grand prix last night.

• Like 1

More meetings different teams, that would be great to see surely than a weakened elite league that has weeks without a meeting and seeing the same team most weeks.

Some Premier League teams also have the same problem so it's not just the Elite League, especially riding on Saturdays like Leicester do. Quote I've just seen.....We only had 5 home matches during May and June due to rain offs and no one wanting to come on a date in May. As a weekend club we also suffer disproportionately with shared events and the Cardiff GP. Agree about seeing different teams though as there is more variety in the Premier League.

The top riders don't want more UK fixtures - unless there is a limit put on team places in Poland and Sweden!! Squads of some sort or other (even shared No 1's) has to come at some point.

I must say I am very impressed the way that Jason Doyle has taken to riding in the GP's. In 2 years he has come to be one of the worlds top riders, hope he ends up in the top 8 and gets straight through to next years GP. You never know given another year or 2 he may just become world champion.

I can't for one minute see DH dropping the Lions back down a league. As I said if they bring in the right riders and not just a couple of overseas lads that only want to come over here for a few weeks but good riders who want to race all season, we could see the Lions in a far better place in the league standings than they have been this and last season.

I think the time will come when the EL is no longer a viable proposition and the SCB will be looking at making a change to the league stucture, many clubs are stuggling to make ends meet, and with them having so many gaps in the fixtures, the fans as you say are getting a bit piddled off.

I for one can't see how they are making anything out of things at BP this year with so few meeting to cover the expenses. So what some people are saying may come about and a drop down a league may be the only option to keep the club afloat.

I know nothing about the finances of the club, so can't say how well they are doing this year money wise.

Just hope when they race again, that the fans turn up to watch them.

• Like 2

Just hope when they race again, that the fans turn up to watch them.

They should have one extra now they've dropped the ban on dogs. :wink:

• Like 3

I for one can't see how they are making anything out of things at BP this year with so few meeting to cover the expenses. So what some people are saying may come about and a drop down a league may be the only option to keep the club afloat.

Except for any individual and play-off meetings all Elite league clubs have more or less the same number of home meetings per season and of course the most significant cost for clubs are the riders who are for the most part a variable cost i.e. no meeting no wages to pay. Promoters will have taken this into account when planning their season’s budget.

The big influencing factors on a seasons total attendance and thus actual income v budget is the weather, holidays other attractions and team performance which can be both positive and negative and in differing degrees of effect. Another aspect is the promoter’s ability to do their job and promote the sport.

In the case of the Lions the extended absence of home fixtures cannot be positive for keeping the momentum going in terms of attendance but they do get the apparent benefit of Saturday night racing which appears to help the numbers turning up – and or DH does a decent job promoting the Lions.

I for one prefer Elite league racing and would not wish to see the Lions drop down from the top tier and frankly as they have every likelihood of finishing above both Lakeside and the Wolves and maybe the Aces come the end of the season I don’t see any reason for the promotion to consider the notion, more that we should wish for a less challenging 2016 in terms of injuries & deserters, the return of Doyley and a play off place will be a real possibility.

I could not beleive my eyes when I saw that the Lions had brought Kevin Doolan into the side againsts Kings Lynne. Think this a a meeting that has a loss to the Lions stamped all over it.

I could not beleive my eyes when I saw that the Lions had brought Kevin Doolan into the side againsts Kings Lynne. Think this a a meeting that has a loss to the Lions stamped all over it.

Why not? He's on good form in the PL and you know he gives full effort. KL's his favourite track and it might tempt a few more along the A47

Why not? He's on good form in the PL and you know he gives full effort. KL's his favourite track and it might tempt a few more along the A47

Doolans a good choice from what is available.... Knows Saddlebow Rd like the back of his hand, is in great form in the PL and has an affinity to the Lions, good for 6/7 pts easily in my book...

Most meetings do for the Lions.

Doolans a good choice from what is available.... Knows Saddlebow Rd like the back of his hand, is in great form in the PL and has an affinity to the Lions, good for 6/7 pts easily in my book...

Not a good choice, was appalling at peterborough recently and he will be awful at saddlebow road

Sorry he may do well in the PL but he is not an EL rider. He should just stay with what he does best.

Sorry he may do well in the PL but he is not an EL rider. He should just stay with what he does best.

What planet are you on! Trouble is, the stage of the season's been reached (as it does each year) when it's pretty much a case of "who is available" as so many are injured. So in reality the choice is very limited now with guests. And you can't criticise a rider who is available for taking up the chance of earning a few quid. If you think you can do better with guest choices, why don't you offer to help Norrie Allen find somebody, you'd soon find out first-hand that it's not easy.

• Like 1