British Speedway Forum
mudflaps

Peterborough Panthers 2015

Was looking forward to seeing Cunningham in 1999 after all the hype and he turned up at newport in an early season challenge and was superb with a 15 point max.

After that he was pretty average - watson and henriksson used to wipe the floor with him

And a very lucky rider in the PLRC in 98.

TBF we can all look back at the luck certain rider had to win this meeting and that meeting. He ultimately put himself in a position to be able to win it. There is no doubting that in 1998 that Cunningham was a superb rider and set for big things - where did it all go so wrong? As Pinny says, in 1999 he lost a point on his average and went backwards. He tried the EL the year after and was screwed over a bit by Peterborough (same as Compton) - which saw Compton back in the PL that season (was it Newcastle who signed him on 11?) and Cunningham went to BV for the rest of the season before returning to the PL with Newport and becoming the 7 point man he remained as for the rest of his career.

Peterborough that season killed off Compton and Cunningham - two riders who could and probably should have achieved a lot more

TBF we can all look back at the luck certain rider had to win this meeting and that meeting. He ultimately put himself in a position to be able to win it. There is no doubting that in 1998 that Cunningham was a superb rider and set for big things - where did it all go so wrong? As Pinny says, in 1999 he lost a point on his average and went backwards. He tried the EL the year after and was screwed over a bit by Peterborough (same as Compton) - which saw Compton back in the PL that season (was it Newcastle who signed him on 11?) and Cunningham went to BV for the rest of the season before returning to the PL with Newport and becoming the 7 point man he remained as for the rest of his career.

Peterborough that season killed off Compton and Cunningham - two riders who could and probably should have achieved a lot more

Cunningham should have gone EL in 99 but wouldn't despite the offers from Peterborough, Cunningham was like a lot of other riders at PL level he just lacked ambition.

Very talented rider - i remember compton and cunningham at reserve for pboro and their averages went sky high and were dumped at the first chance

That said cunningham was superb around Swindon - even in his newport season. I remember us getting stuffed and he didnt try a leg foer a few rides then rattled off three or four wins on the bounce once the match was over!

Very talented rider - i remember compton and cunningham at reserve for pboro and their averages went sky high and were dumped at the first chance

That said cunningham was superb around Swindon - even in his newport season. I remember us getting stuffed and he didnt try a leg foer a few rides then rattled off three or four wins on the bounce once the match was over!

• Like 1

Hugely talented. He just seems to lose his bottle by 2001. He'd draw alongside a rider going into a bend and shut off, he just didn't have that killer instinct. I remember one meeting against Sheffield, the track was dry and had a thick blue groove, anyone who missed it went backwards and into the fence, one lap Glen was moved off it and just carried on as normal - proof his ability on a bike was up there with the best. He just seemed to not car at times though - or only want to pass around the outside when he had a clear run. Was he involved in a nasty accident in late 98/early 99 where he tried to go up the inside of someone and that played on his mind possibly?

Cunningham was very lucky to squeeze into the final, only qualifying with about 8 or 9 points.

SCB. Try not to make up averages at will to suit yourself. Compton, when he joined us, was on a 4 + EL average (an identical average to Cunningham I seem to remember) meaning he came to us on an 8+ PL average. It was me that signed him.

Cunningham was very lucky to squeeze into the final, only qualifying with about 8 or 9 points.

SCB. Try not to make up averages at will to suit yourself. Compton, when he joined us, was on a 4 + EL average (an identical average to Cunningham I seem to remember) meaning he came to us on an 8+ PL average. It was me that signed him.

I could have sworn he averaged 5.65 for Peterborough while Glenn was about 6.2. Glenn then went to BV and dropped his average to about 4.8 and signed for Newport on 9.6. Im sure they had both done well in reserve but then had 2 or 3 meetings in the 1-5 and struggled so were dropped while still on their averages from there 6 meetings in reserve.

I'll bow to your better knowledge on this one though as it was you that ended up signing him :D

edit > I wonder if he got 5.65 in reserve. Was dropped so would have been PL 11 but those 2 or 4 bad meetings dropped his average to 4.XX and thats when you signed him.

Edited by SCB

I could have sworn he averaged 5.65 for Peterborough while Glenn was about 6.2. Glenn then went to BV and dropped his average to about 4.8 and signed for Newport on 9.6. Im sure they had both done well in reserve but then had 2 or 3 meetings in the 1-5 and struggled so were dropped while still on their averages from there 6 meetings in reserve.

I'll bow to your better knowledge on this one though as it was you that ended up signing him :D

edit > I wonder if he got 5.65 in reserve. Was dropped so would have been PL 11 but those 2 or 4 bad meetings dropped his average to 4.XX and thats when you signed him.

Probably. Both Andre and Glen were both about 4.40 with identical averages, and I had an afternoon start on signing him, before it was due to be released the following morning to everyone else. We had to drop Jamie Smith for 1 month to fit Andre in, but Jamie went to Hull instead. Why I remember this loan deal was for what we won with Andre the next season. :D:P

Lucky, I don't know, but he certainly showed Stoney how to ride Owlerton in the Panthers' PL victory there earlier in the season. A maximum, beating Stoney from behind three times - once when almost stalling at the start and having the distance from starting line to first bend to make up. The best display I've witnessed by a Panthers' rider in team competition.

We knew we didn't get priority over Robert Lambert but now learn we don't get priority over Simon Lambert and still a ? Over Blackbird

I fear it's going to be another year of guests and rider replacement

http://speeding-motorcycles.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/speeding-motorcyles-special-2015-double.html?spref=tw&m=1

Edited by Noodles

Are we going to start the who owns Blackbird debate again? wink!

I fear it's going to be another year of guests and rider replacement

Great way to run a business, that'll please Hodgy.

Have we got a time for our first meeting of the season yet? Also, any hint of a GB side?

Have we got a time for our first meeting of the season yet? Also, any hint of a GB side?

We have a 2pm start. Rory's meeting at Lynn starts at 6pm.

2pm start for the Great Britain Select (15th March) and 1pm start for the League Cup against Somerset (22nd March) :)