British Speedway Forum

Strange statement, as far as I am aware, British weather has existed for a very long time now. A fact for you, British climate ahas chsanged very little in 120yrs, it has become slightly warmer in the winter, but speedway is not on then. I was taught something as a youth, never run an out door event in June,

May was bloody freezing man! You just have to look at all the rain offs for a start, and your casual fan ain't gonna stand in the freezing cold.

Whatever you do don't bury your head in the sand.

• Like 1

May was bloody freezing man! You just have to look at all the rain offs for a start, and your casual fan ain't gonna stand in the freezing cold.

Whatever you do don't bury your head in the sand.

The weather statistics are available for everyone on line, it is fact that May this year was slightly below the seasonal average, but not significantly. May comes around every year as does June , July & August, all with very similar weather patterns, with a wet summer about every 5 years. No head in the sand, facts are there for everyone.

The weather statistics are available for everyone on line, it is fact that May this year was slightly below the seasonal average, but not significantly. May comes around every year as does June , July & August, all with very similar weather patterns, with a wet summer about every 5 years. No head in the sand, facts are there for everyone.

Lol I found his initial statement astonishing to be honest. British speedway has been ruined, but certainly not because of the weather 😂😂.

Alright then you lot have got all the answers, what has ruined british speedway?

Alright then you lot have got all the answers, what has ruined british speedway?

Total lack of investment in youth speedway

Total lack of investment in stadium facilities, very few teams own their own stadium

Too many meetings called off too early, too many meeting called off due to bad track preparation (last years ELRC)

Too much money wasted on expensive foreign riders, who then fail to turn up for meetings

Too many times fans have been let down (the Warsaw GP the latest example)

Total lack of investment in track equipment / covers. Many of the tracks had to be given an ultimatum to install air fences

Entertainment at meetings hasn't moved on from the 70s, failure to move with the times on a grand scale

There's a start

Unfortunately a lot of fans feel the same. The arguament given is it will give the riders we have extra point money and will help them financially. It does not normally affect your 1, 3 & 5 riders very much as they are scoring higher point money anyway, it would be more beneficial for your No. 2,4,6 & 7, so it would have more benefit to them to have the extra rides. In truth it benefits the club financially on paper, but has the potential disadvantage of losing gate receipts, which is a much bigger disadvantage. So for me, if riders are available replace them now, before any major damage is caused.

This is a very difficult one. Firstly there isn't a great deal of riders out there. Ideally the club would bring in a replacement for Vissing but there are dangers. It's okay to bring in a new "asset" but invariably these riders need time to bed in. That means for a while these riders don't ride to their average. And it has been proved before a lot of Berwick fans don't have the patience to wait for riders to settle in. You only need to look at the numbers staying away after losses to Edinburgh and Glasgow earlier this season as proof. And a repeat of this could be disastrous financially.

• Like 3

Total lack of investment in youth speedway

Total lack of investment in stadium facilities, very few teams own their own stadium

Too many meetings called off too early, too many meeting called off due to bad track preparation (last years ELRC)

Too much money wasted on expensive foreign riders, who then fail to turn up for meetings

Too many times fans have been let down (the Warsaw GP the latest example)

Total lack of investment in track equipment / covers. Many of the tracks had to be given an ultimatum to install air fences

Entertainment at meetings hasn't moved on from the 70s, failure to move with the times on a grand scale

There's a start

This is a very difficult one. Firstly there isn't a great deal of riders out there. Ideally the club would bring in a replacement for Vissing but there are dangers. It's okay to bring in a new "asset" but invariably these riders need time to bed in. That means for a while these riders don't ride to their average. And it has been proved before a lot of Berwick fans don't have the patience to wait for riders to settle in. You only need to look at the numbers staying away after losses to Edinburgh and Glasgow earlier this season as proof. And a repeat of this could be disastrous financially.

I don't disagree with you, but it is a catch 22 situation, if you don't replace it is likely gate money will drop even further, I would say it is critical now, can the club afford to do thatn't think so. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I don't disagree with you, but it is a catch 22 situation, if you don't replace it is likely gate money will drop even further, I would say it is critical now, can the club afford to do thatn't think so. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Just out of interest, Taffy, what did you think of the Berrington Lough setup?

Just out of interest, Taffy, what did you think of the Berrington Lough setup?

Wasn't into speedway in those days, but when you talk to old fans they are very sentimental about it. For me it was far too small a track and would probably not suit modern machinery. Listening to old fans again that were involved, it seemed to struggle at times in the way that it was managed. Someone told the story I think was Richard Knight had not been paid so went to the office and took it all in change in a carrier bag, might be the wrong rider though. It did however seem to be a more fan based then than now.

Too small a track?

Wasn't into speedway in those days, but when you talk to old fans they are very sentimental about it. For me it was far too small a track and would probably not suit modern machinery. Listening to old fans again that were involved, it seemed to struggle at times in the way that it was managed. Someone told the story I think was Richard Knight had not been paid so went to the office and took it all in change in a carrier bag, might be the wrong rider though. It did however seem to be a more fan based then than now.

I wonder how you would have gotten on with Mr Fairbairn :)

• Like 1

Too small a track?

It's only my opinion, it was a track that doled out 60---30 home wins. Some fans like different types of tracks, I think it would make a great training track.

It also had a training track.

It was a very good track for racing. Not quite sure where you get the 60 - 30 home wins from, for a number of reasons...

Edited by bigeddiechek
  • Like 1

Berrington produced some good meetings being a smaller track racing was closer there was more than one racing line. Also over the time we raced there we did win some silverware KO Cup and Gold Cup plus had that rollercoaster season in 1991 in the what is now Elite League although in them days teams were full of top riders. Oh and no silly curfews.

• Like 1

But the reason we moved was the promotion stated that if they stayed there they would go bust in a year so it was shielfield or no speedway

Here's my take on Berrington.I was told that it was modelled on Mildenhall for size and shape.Considering the amount of land they had I feel if the straights had been 10-15 Mtrs longer it would have been perfect.there was some great meetings at Berrington and when we went 1st Division the racing move up a notch with the Top Men showing how it is done.Pity Terry Lindon was just a con man.I witnessed the facts that Taffy alluded to with Scott Lamb and Knight being payed there wages in petty cash in a bag!!! Of coins.It was a pity that it was so far of the beaten track as I'm sure it would have attracted more support if it was easier to reach with public transport.It was a good little set up though a really neat and tidy considering where it was.Wonder how much my share are worth now!!!!!!!!!.Away to get a financial Times.!

Ps

The training track was very seldom used IMO ,it was just a small circle scraped out at the back of the 1st /2nd bend.