British Speedway Forum

Times are getting so desperate I would even consider a move for Jason Bunyan

I can see there being a lot of restless natives on here come Saturday, as I really cannot see any new additions being made before then. Could well be guests for both Ben and Claus, looking at the accident last night. Given the financial restrictions and dearth of riders there's not much out there.

To be honest, no. None of us have the experience of being promoters, therefore none of us know the real difficulty in running a club. It's easy to come on here and have a whinge, but I would imagine the promoters have looked into a lot of possibilities. It's not an ideal situation, but unfortunately it is the state of modern speedway that so many teams rely on guests and r/r.

No short term solution, plenty of long term ones. But patience is not in abundance amongst Berwick fans. You only need to see the drop in attendance levels after home defeats earlier this season.

• Like 1

Any news of Bens injury ?

To be honest, no. None of us have the experience of being promoters, therefore none of us know the real difficulty in running a club. It's easy to come on here and have a whinge, but I would imagine the promoters have looked into a lot of possibilities. It's not an ideal situation, but unfortunately it is the state of modern speedway that so many teams rely on guests and r/r.

No short term solution, plenty of long term ones. But patience is not in abundance amongst Berwick fans. You only need to see the drop in attendance levels after home defeats earlier this season.

Edinburgh's John Campbell told his public on Friday that their attendances were down at least 10% on last year, on one occasion more than 20%.

He explained his club had lost more than £4,000 on one meeting alone!

And that is a successful outfit, league champions, huge population in towns and cities all around and unbeaten at home (up to the point he was writing) so we should not blindly attribute falling crowds only to home defeats.

At Berwick, in a sparsely-populated area, it is important to remember how cold it has been at the majority of meetings so far, which was probably the primary reason for lower attendances in April and early May.

Yes, winning helps -- and your above excellent post is correct to highlight the losing-team factor --but (other people's) destructive criticism of a promotion facing the kind of weekly losses at least the equal of those laid out by Mr Campbell is going to have only one conclusion.

That the promoters consider enough is enough, and with no further financial help on the horizon they decide there are easier ways to part with four grand every time they open the turnstiles.............

Edited by Ned Kelly 41
  • Like 3

Edinburgh's John Campbell told his public on Friday that their attendances were down at least 10% on last year, on one occasion more than 20%.

And that is a successful outfit, league champions, huge population in towns and cities all around and unbeaten at home (up to the point he was writing) so we should not blindly attribute falling crowds only to home defeats.

At Berwick, in a sparsely-populated area, it is important to remember how cold it has been at the majority of meetings so far, which was probably the primary reason for lower attendances in April and early May.

Yes, winning helps -- and your above excellent post is correct to highlight the losing-team factor --but (other people's) destructive criticism of a promotion facing the kind of weekly losses at least the equal of those laid out by Mr Campbell is going to have only one conclusion.

That the promoters consider enough is enough, and with no further financial help on the horizon they decide there are easier ways to part with four grand every time they open the turnstiles.............

Armadale is over 30 miles from both Edinburgh and Glasgow, though. It's hardly on the doorstep, is it?

Armadale is over 30 miles from both Edinburgh and Glasgow, though. It's hardly on the doorstep, is it?

Agree, but there is still a huge population in that area.

To be honest, I don't know how they keep it going, low crowds and relentless criticism from all directions, some justified and many not in my opinion

• Like 1

..but (other people's) destructive criticism of a promotion facing the kind of weekly losses at least the equal of those laid out by Mr Campbell is going to have only one conclusion.

It's really sad - and there are some of us on here that have tried to point this out, but to no avail - that there are some hell-bent on destroying speedway at Berwick.

There has been some really poisonous and utterly pathetic attitudes towards the Promotions over the past 15 years at Berwick which have steadily undermined the club.

So, I'll stand here and be accused of being a brown noser, but at least I will know that I did all I could to support The Club before its demise.

I honestly don't know what some speedway followers want. If the snipers don't want speedway to finish, then they have been exceptionally thick in thinking that their constant negativity is not destructive.

Peter had all sorts thrown at him, and it didn't take long until the new ownership started to get the same treatment.

Very sad.

• Like 9

It's really sad - and there are some of us on here that have tried to point this out, but to no avail - that there are some hell-bent on destroying speedway at Berwick.

There has been some really poisonous and utterly pathetic attitudes towards the Promotions over the past 15 years at Berwick which have steadily undermined the club.

So, I'll stand here and be accused of being a brown noser, but at least I will know that I did all I could to support The Club before its demise.

I honestly don't know what some speedway followers want. If the snipers don't want speedway to finish, then they have been exceptionally thick in thinking that their constant negativity is not destructive.

Peter had all sorts thrown at him, and it didn't take long until the new ownership started to get the same treatment.

Very sad.

Spot on post,
  • Like 1

Very sad.

ah but we are now told by the same people who slagged Peter that he was god

ah but we are now told by the same people who slagged Peter that he was god

Correct!

Correct!

i was in the stand the night Peter announced he was quitting

There was an audible YES from some members of the stand quite unbelievable when there was a strong possibility (at that moment) that speedway had ended for good at berwick

• Like 1

i was in the stand the night Peter announced he was quitting

There was an audible YES from some members of the stand quite unbelievable when there was a strong possibility (at that moment) that speedway had ended for good at berwick

I think most people could name who they were too.

I think most people could name who they were too.

one of them is chairman of the Peter Waite fan club

Another is chairman of the berwick fickle society

• Like 1