British Speedway Forum
Arson fire

Newcastle 2015

Steve the point is that the team is just not strong enough experienced or inexperienced. The only way to save Newcastle speedway long term in my opinion; and also getting people to attend is to have a team which is challenging on all fronts - yet we're half way through the season approx and the season is already over. There is only a very small amount of people who will go each week no matter what and that number is increasingly dwindling all the time. You need a competitive team to bring the crowds back and this team isn't and never has been; and if the 'in crowd' don't like that then so be it, but you have a look at the crowd this Sunday and tell me I'm wrong.

I was making the point towards those who have had digs at the riders, rather than making excuses for the team that was put together.

On your last point, the big problem is, if you haven't a large budget to begin with, you are very limited to who you can bring in. You can't over-budget, in the hope that it will get the fans back in their droves, as it might not happen, then you are likely to lose speedway at Brough altogether.

I know what you are going to say (apologies if you're not, but others may think this way), if they can't put an attractive team together, step aside and let someone else take over, but that is very unlikely to happen (in my opinion), simply because, I reckon, if it was going to happen it would have happened by now.

• Like 1

I was making the point towards those who have had digs at the riders, rather than making excuses for the team that was put together.

On your last point, the big problem is, if you haven't a large budget to begin with, you are very limited to who you can bring in. You can't over-budget, in the hope that it will get the fans back in their droves, as it might not happen, then you are likely to lose speedway at Brough altogether.

I know what you are going to say (apologies if you're not, but others may think this way), if they can't put an attractive team together, step aside and let someone else take over, but that is very unlikely to happen (in my opinion), simply because, I reckon, if it was going to happen it would have happened by now.

I think, and have thought for some time that Newcastle Speedway is run by a few people who love their Sport. I don't think there are any millionaires at Newcastle, just folk who care passionately about Speedway and who keep it going probably out of their own pockets. They cannot be making a lot of money out of it.

I think they should be praised for that not castigated.

Without their dedication - there would be no Speedway, that is a simple FACT!!!

• Like 6

I think, and have thought for some time that Newcastle Speedway is run by a few people who love their Sport. I don't think there are any millionaires at Newcastle, just folk who care passionately about Speedway and who keep it going probably out of their own pockets. They cannot be making a lot of money out of it.

I think they should be praised for that not castigated.

Without their dedication - there would be no Speedway, that is a simple FACT!!!

They aren't making any money out of it.

who is they??

The Promoters I assume.

You're spot on Steve and yes to me it just does not make good business sense to put a team out which never was going to bring the crowds back and in fact has actually turned more people away.

Edited by acclennell

Out of interest, this Sunday is Father's Day. Is anything being promoted to use this as a way to increase the crowd.

a free pint for dad's ??? :-)

You're spot on Steve and yes to me it just does not make good business sense to put a team out which never was going to bring the crowds back and in fact has actually turned more people away.

just out of interest AC, your obviously not happy with the team, what would've been your team ???

I think the team was build with potential in mind, but unfortunately only 2 members have increased their starting average,,, taking into consideration L Kerr's 'reduction' ???

a free pint for dad's ??? :-)

just out of interest AC, your obviously not happy with the team, what would've been your team ???

I think the team was build with potential in mind, but unfortunately only 2 members have increased their starting average,,, taking into consideration L Kerr's 'reduction' ???

Being serious and not having snide jabs as has happened between us lately :-) messers Lindgren, Henry or Rosen would not have been anywhere near my team. I did say Worrall also as he always seemed to struggle in the past around Brough, but he has proved me wrong totally and well done to the lad for doing so. Far too many gambles were taken on riders hopefully improving their averages and it was never going to happen. You need proven heat leaders in a team to challenge otherwise you're always going to struggle especially on away tracks. I did think Kerr and Rose would do better this year also but I was never convinced either that Kerr would develop into a number 1 this year. People can quote money etc. etc. all day but the team was never going to be a success and the crowds also I hear have dropped alarmingly - there is too much competition in Newcastle with other sports and other events to sustain a weak team as the crowds will not come and that includes diehards who have been following the team for years. I'm not trying to be a right martyr here, I can just see speedway not being at Brough much longer and the season already is over in June - not good.

Edited by acclennell

I guess that come Sunday night the thin veneer of a victory over Plymouth will be 'papering over the cracks' in our team. If that allows them some breathing space to re-group, fully recover from injuries sustained and regain some match form then this team may stay together long enough to put at least some pride back in the Diamonds. If that then translates to feet on the terraces, then belief will return. At least one promoter was on the terraces last week not liking all of the current team, so a change may be in the offing though.

Being serious and not having snide jabs as has happened between us lately :-) messers Lindgren, Henry or Rosen would not have been anywhere near my team. I did say Worrall also as he always seemed to struggle in the past around Brough, but he has proved me wrong totally and well done to the lad for doing so. Far too many gambles were taken on riders hopefully improving their averages and it was never going to happen. You need proven heat leaders in a team to challenge otherwise you're always going to struggle especially on away tracks. I did think Kerr and Rose would do better this year also but I was never convinced either that Kerr would develop into a number 1 this year. People can quote money etc. etc. all day but the team was never going to be a success and the crowds also I hear have dropped alarmingly - there is too much competition in Newcastle with other sports and other events to sustain a weak team as the crowds will not come and that includes diehards who have been following the team for years. I'm not trying to be a right martyr here, I can just see speedway not being at Brough much longer and the season already is over in June - not good.

good post, can't say I agree with everything you say, but a lot of it makes sense,,,

it does look as crowds are dropping and, if there's no fans, there's no club,,,

would a good team bring crowds back to a sustainable level ???,,, how do you put a 'good' team together without fans bringing money in,,, if riders are failing, should they go, if the management/promotion are failing, should they go and, if they do go do they take the club with them ???

I'm sure there is some good or better idea's out there, but would anybody hear them,,, or is that part of the problem :-)

Edited by ruffdiamond

Surely its not that difficult, get the freeloaders who do nothing / very little to pay half / full price depending on what they do = more money = better team = more fans!!

Instead they get a poor team and blame it on finances rather than trying to sort other things out!

If you add up over a season these people paying something then it soon adds up!

• Like 2

It's a double edge sword you need to balance finances and the outgoings should in an ideal world be less than the incoming,however in my opinion if you put an attractive team together at the start of the season you have a good chance of attracting the fans back I think it's an uphill struggle to try and do it half way through the season but you need to try and I do think the season and possibly the future is at a crossroads. I think we need to try and salvage this season get the crowds back and build hopefully for next season..one thing for certain and not mentioning individuals this team is not good enough and we need to start winning at home

Edited by robbieblackadder fan club

Totally agree with Gaz on the freeloaders,far too many people get in for nothing. There is also a small group of dedicated people who do everything and anything they can to help spread the word and try and encourage new people to come to Brough.

• Like 1

Totally agree with Gaz on the freeloaders,far too many people get in for nothing. There is also a small group of dedicated people who do everything and anything they can to help spread the word and try and encourage new people to come to Brough.

Totally agree that some get in for 'fresh air' but many more are 'earning' an entry by doing the hands on dirty jobs which allow the sport to continue on Tyneside. Sheaters, flaggers, graders, even marshals are there are a valid reason, not to mention the poor sods who scrape the adverts clean between heats. The whingers who complain about a 'clique' controlling the club would I suppose vent their anger on another sport following our demise. SHAME ON YOU.

• Like 1