British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Fim World League

The inaugral World League gets under way soon featuring the top teams from Britain, Poland, Sweden and Denmark with Poole representing GB. Does anyone know if there are plans to bring in other countries, or are the other European leagues considered too weak? Also what rules are in place whereby a rider may be contracted to 2 or 3 of the competing sides?. I assume a British rider who also rides for a competing Polish or Swedish club say, would ride for his British club. Am I right?.

Might try looking at the thread on the subject in the International section which might answer all your questions and more ;)

Not heard that but very interesting if correct. Speedway World Cup includes weaker teams in qualifying meetings, but those countries still like the prestige of competing. The World League ( European Champions League in essence) could be extended to include the champions from all countries that run a league. OK..a team from say Norway would not make it too far, but if Russia, Norway, Finland, Italy and Germany were included it would give them a fillip and bring a little kudos to their league champions. It would also bring a little more variety in to the speedway calendar.

Might try looking at the thread on the subject in the International section which might answer all your questions and more ;)

Thank you iris...I must have missed that. Blame my tired old eyes!.

I like the idea but until they sort out who rides for what team in the event of a clash will be hard to sort out.

A bit like in the cricket 20/20 champios league where the captain of an Australian team is told to play for an Indian team.

World league what about an australian team or south africa and america, Argentina or Italy and the Czech republic and not forgetting FInland, Norway and the Germans, world league! Ha!

Wonder who comes up with these STUPID ideas.... We cant organise our own leagues properly, let alone one featuring other countries.

• Like 4

On paper a super idea but if the teams don't have their OWN riders it becomes nonsense.

Holder has ridden for Poole longer than any other club and Emil has never ridden for them.

Waste of race time.

• Like 1

World league what about an australian team or south africa and america, Argentina or Italy and the Czech republic and not forgetting FInland, Norway and the Germans, world league! Ha!

I have already made the point this would be a more meaningful competition if the league champions from those countries that have league racing were included. However, unless I am mistaken it is only europe that has meaningful league racing, ie town/city v town/city so it should really become the European Champions League.

It's a complete joke if what i read is true that it's 4 man teams & Poole are using Sayfutdinov & Holder.

Thats not Poole they are guests

• Like 1

Norway - Hmm!

Three man teams and a standard equivalent to Elite League fast track. Using Dolgin's rankings a team of Josh Bates, Max Clegg and Nathan Greaves would be a match for Norway's top team (Glen Moi, Espen Sundvor, Lasse Fredriksson)