British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Eastbourne 2015

Whos shocked at the latest exit of the team then, gary cottham replaces kelsey dugard.

whats going on what have i missed ?

Kelsey looked fine yesterday and rode well on borrowed kit after he bent one and Andrews bent his spare. Saw Cottam have a practice after the meeting so something was afoot but still a major surprise!

Perhaps Kelsey wasn't enjoying himself? If this is true? Pity he wouldn't fit in at Kent!!

Not an exit, only replacement for a few weeks whilst Kelsey gets over his knee injury - its on the club web site and facebook .

Edited by Sophies Mate
  • Like 1

Gutted, that's all I can say. Part of the fun of this team this season has been what a bunch of fun likeable guys they all are.

With David and Kelsey out and doubts over Richards fitness it seems the unit is breaking up. I just hope that we can keep the spirit up and the performances.

I hope it is Kelsey knee and not him leaving due to being fed up with it. I thought he rode well yesterday and can become a great rider. We were only saying yesterday that it is amazing that Kelsey can fall so often without hurting himself. Now, it looks like he has.

Best of luck to the original 4 and the replacements for the rest of the season. Come on Eastbourne!!

well depends how you look at it all, Cottaham vs Dugard in a race i say its got to be pretty much equal, the big question is how many times can someone fall off before they get hurt? i have been to most of the meetings and seen kelsey crash a lot more then he should, most of the fall seem to be a silly falls because he is learning the trade.

so looking at it from a business point of view we could have won at some of the tracks if kelsey had stayed on, which we could have but we didnt. Thats all ifs and buts. I have to say that i think its a very brave move but again Eastbourne have moved very fast to change the side around.

With Hopwood being his first meeting in 9 weeks he rode well, Owen looks as if he is getting back to his best, Wilson Dean head and shoulders above everyone, Andrews unluckiest rider around, Woods an outstanding find and Bates looking a little bit less then normal.

Cottham a good replacement but if its a knee problem it could take a few weeks? I say he is a rider that will give the team 110% and this is where the friendship goes out the window and business heads come on, Eastbourne wont ever win anything on friendship and thats where they made the mistake for the last 15 years at the club. New team in charge and like they have said changes will be made?

Its nice to see that they are not afraid to make a change, i have read the report on the web and for kevin Jolly to be interested in Cottham after only a few laps must have shown that he was on the Gas.

Best wishes to Dugard, Andrews and Ruddick

Edited by catinthehat

Whilst I'm a bit gutted for Kelsey I see this as a masterstroke for the Eagles. Gary Cottam is a quality rider and on the first class bike he will no doubt have from Eastbourne I can see him scoring heavily reserve. Him and Ben in the team makes the Eagles a real force now. Watch out Birmingham your days at the top are numbered. Well done Martin and Connor. Good to see the bad old days of Eastbourne sticking by riders just cos Bob likes them are over.

Great to see Cottham finally back racing! I see you have Buxton away in a couple of weeks and Cottham flies round there.

I am also gutted for Kelsey as he has not really done to much wrong, he has put his average up so he should at this level. He is the same age as Zach and only a year younger than Lambert cut he is not in the same class as them yet, Maybe time to get fit again and look at how well he started at the start of the year when he was cracking.

A new sticky seat would not go a miss.

Cottaham looks as if he is going to get some help from the Eastbourne management which is what the club is all about. I think the bigger picture is starting to unfold, Martin and Connor will not sit back and watch the hard work they have done just slip away, We are so close now for some silver ware.

Bring it on

Cottam and Hopwood are out and out tryers and never give up. Will suit the team well. Plus if what I saw a couple of years ago on the island is anything to go by the team spirit will only benefit from having these two in the pack . Hopwood is a real team player, just ask Freemantle, he scored more points on Hopwood bike than his own after smashing his own bike up in heat 2 nearly every week .

What a disaster. A reserve who is still amongst the points is carrying an injury and needs a few weeks to recuperate. Up pops a ready made replacement with bags of experience to slot in nicely. Biggest headache would be if Cottam scores big and often and decisions would need to be made once Kelsey is fit again......

I think Kelsey was already on his way out.Saying about the old injury coming back after heat 2s crash is just a cover up.I see no other reason for Cottham to have been at Mildenhall yesterday having a 2nd half.Too convenient lol

Maybe Kelsey himself wanted some time out to get himself sorted.Who knows.Has had a solid 1st year really sticking a point and a half on.Hope he does come back this year.Time will tell I guess

Well it was a bit of a surprise and it does seem a bit to convenient for Gary to be practicing after the meeting so maybe he wants time out.

Confirmed that the end-of-season awards night will be the Amex, home of Brighton and Hove Albion.

Really doing it in style