British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Eastbourne 2015

As a new team in this division they are in a difficult position with little asset base at this level. I think Connor Dugard has retired and never looked comfortable on the bike and Brandon Freemantle has done nothing the last 4 or 5 years since he was under 15 Champion despite chances at Rye House, Kent & I think I O W as reserve. This only leaves Kelsey Dugard who I think is a fine prospect and will surely be there.

With at least a couple of new teams there will be a scramble for the top scorers and most teams wont let go of their top boys so the newcomers will have to settle for left overs. Pretty much like Leicester joining the Elite.

They will not want to bring in all youngsters and do a Scunthorpe of this year.

It makes sense to bring in someone like Warwick who is unattached and has a lot of experience as a starting point and I wont be surprised to see another like him join in to form the engine room of the team. Add on the best two they can get from the ' left overs' and another couple of youngsters and they could get a reasonably balanced and competitive team going forward.

the iow wasnt big enough for him to get round, poor eastie will do 300 quid a week repairing the fence

• Like 1

If warwick was on a 5 point average it would be a no brainer but on a 7.01 ave it is a gamble signing him but we wont have many options I doubt so I hope its a gamble that pays off.

I Don't understand where your coming from ruckerroo, I have analysed Warwick's results in his last year which was 2012 around the I O W.

His scores were 12,10,7,12,10,12,11,2,12,15,6,13. That's 122 points in 12 matches,sometimes 4 rides sometimes 5 rides. I only found 1 Fall, 2 Exclusions,and 1 Engine Fail which was his worst night with 2 points and presumably he had ongoing Mechanical problems.

In the process he got a 15 max against four FDR's Neilsen, Halsey, Jacobs & Morley and a 12 max against the USA with Gina Manzares. He also beat Kerr, Garrity, Sargeant & Bates.

Away was obviously tougher with usually 5,6 or 7 but he also managed a 14 paid 15.

Why do you say the IOW was not big enough for him to get round? If he performs like that next year he will be a popular chap at Arlington.

I Don't understand where your coming from ruckerroo, I have analysed Warwick's results in his last year which was 2012 around the I O W.

His scores were 12,10,7,12,10,12,11,2,12,15,6,13. That's 122 points in 12 matches,sometimes 4 rides sometimes 5 rides. I only found 1 Fall, 2 Exclusions,and 1 Engine Fail which was his worst night with 2 points and presumably he had ongoing Mechanical problems.

In the process he got a 15 max against four FDR's Neilsen, Halsey, Jacobs & Morley and a 12 max against the USA with Gina Manzares. He also beat Kerr, Garrity, Sargeant & Bates.

Away was obviously tougher with usually 5,6 or 7 but he also managed a 14 paid 15.

Why do you say the IOW was not big enough for him to get round? If he performs like that next year he will be a popular chap at Arlington.

That aspect of his post was referring to Freemantle I think who has been involved in a lot of huge crashes in his short career.

I think he cleared the fence at 2 different tracks within a week at one stage.

As for Bob, he's a solid signing, and it's good to see him back in the sport.

Has a wealth of experience, which will be useful for some of the younger members of the side.

If warwick was on a 5 point average it would be a no brainer but on a 7.01 ave it is a gamble signing him but we wont have many options I doubt so I hope its a gamble that pays off.

No not a gamble at all, solid points scorer and will bring the experience that will be needed in the Team, when he averaged 7+ 2013 the League was stronger than in 2014.

Looks like a good start to me

As a new team in this division they are in a difficult position with little asset base at this level. I think Connor Dugard has retired and never looked comfortable on the bike and Brandon Freemantle has done nothing the last 4 or 5 years since he was under 15 Champion despite chances at Rye House, Kent & I think I O W as reserve. This only leaves Kelsey Dugard who I think is a fine prospect and will surely be there.

With at least a couple of new teams there will be a scramble for the top scorers and most teams wont let go of their top boys so the newcomers will have to settle for left overs. Pretty much like Leicester joining the Elite.

They will not want to bring in all youngsters and do a Scunthorpe of this year.

It makes sense to bring in someone like Warwick who is unattached and has a lot of experience as a starting point and I wont be surprised to see another like him join in to form the engine room of the team. Add on the best two they can get from the ' left overs' and another couple of youngsters and they could get a reasonably balanced and competitive team going forward.

The comments on Freemantle are ridiculous! Firstly after a year at Rye he signed for the Islanders where he broke his leg/thigh in the winter before he even took to the track and missed the whole season. The next year he was averaging 6.00 and 8.00 including bonus points after about 10 meetings (Cup, Trophy & 1 league meeting away from getting a real average) until he suffered a serious injury. That injury basically ended our season as we were missing him and Ellis and suddenly didn't have the reserve scoring power especially as we were replacing someone scoring a 6.00 average effectively with another 3.00! Last year he went to Kent and again was scoring well above his 3.00 average but cleared the fence at Scunthorpe and that ended his season. Now he's retired despite the fact that Eastbourne wanted to track their asset.

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 1

The comments on Freemantle are ridiculous! Firstly after a year at Rye he signed for the Islanders where he broke his leg/thigh in the winter before he even took to the track and missed the whole season. The next year he was averaging 6.00 or 8.00 including bonus points after about 10 meetings (Cup, Trophy & 1 league meeting away from getting a real average) until he suffered a serious injury. That injury basically ended our season as we were missing him and Ellis and suddenly didn't have the reserve scoring power especially as we were replacing someone scoring a 6.00 average effectively with another 3.00! Last year he went to Kent and again was scoring well above his 3.00 average but cleared the fence at Scunthorpe and that ended his season. Now he's retired despite the fact that Eastbourne wanted to track their asset.

Unless there is something very wrong with the updates site, He actually rode 11 races and scored 4 points for Kent last year at an average of 1.45

Yes Islander 15, you are normally pretty spot on with your comments, however i think Hunter is probably correct, Brandon never seemed to get going in 2014, it seemed one injury after another at the start of the season, then he just seemed to drift away.

Unless there is something very wrong with the updates site, He actually rode 11 races and scored 4 points for Kent last year at an average of 1.45

Yes Islander 15, you are normally pretty spot on with your comments, however i think Hunter is probably correct, Brandon never seemed to get going in 2014, it seemed one injury after another at the start of the season, then he just seemed to drift away.

Freemantle's scores this year:

Devon (NLKOC, away) 3 from 4 (withdrawn)

Scunthorpe (NL, away) 0 from 1 (withdrawn)

King's Lynn (CH, home), 7+2 from 4

Coventry (NL, away) 0 from 3

Stoke (NT, away) 1+1 from 3 (withdrawn)

So that gives him an overall average of 2.93 and 3.73 with bonus points. Ok, so his scores weren't as good as I remembered greyhoundp but they're still significantly better than 1.45 hunters. At the end of the day he cleared the fence at Scunthorpe* and missed a couple of meetings with concussion, after he cleared the fence at Plymouth the meeting before* and then suffered a hand injury at Stoke! Not many riders did well against Coventry this season and it was probably his first visit to Plymouth. Greyhoundp, even if injuries meant that he never got going last year, he still did very well in 2013 with the Islanders beofre injury cut short his season again! At the end of the day, apart from when he was 15, he's never got past July with injuries. That's unfortunate!

* 'Travelling at such pace, literally through the air, the 2009 250cc and 2010 500cc youth national champion a unique distinction still, found himself bouncing off the air fence and up and over the safety barrier landing on a grassy knoll.' taken from http://www.kentsportsnews.com/brandos-still-a-contender-after-crash-20-03-2014/

* Also, I don't know how to put a picture on here, but if you go on my twitter and go back 18 photos to April 3rd you'll see his crash at Scunthorpe, where his bike hit the air fence and it flung him over the safety barrier.

Edited by Islander15

The difference between our averages Islander is that you included a Challenge against Kings Lynn which does not appear in the updates site and accounts for most of the points you include. They included challenges against Arena Essex & Wimbledon but no sign of one against KL.

No not a gamble at all, solid points scorer and will bring the experience that will be needed in the Team, when he averaged 7+ 2013 the League was stronger than in 2014.

I have to say my memories of Warwick are him bumping on to the centre green at Smallbrook after a couple of laps when he had missed the start.

The difference between our averages Islander is that you included a Challenge against Kings Lynn which does not appear in the updates site and accounts for most of the points you include. They included challenges against Arena Essex & Wimbledon but no sign of one against KL.

Here you go link to the updates sites topic about the easter trophy vs kings lynn. I was sure it was there as I do Kents updates. http://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/13231/kent-kings-lynn-easter-trophy