British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Vs Ipswich ( P L Play-offs) - Friday, October 3rd (7.30pm)

I agree it was certainly an error of judgement for Rohan to have made those comments early in the season. I think he was probably feeling a bit down at having missed out on an Elite place and perhaps doubting himself because of it. The saying is that honesty is the best policy. Well that doesn't seem to be the case here!!

Had he have said he was having some struggles and was confident he would get it right soon and then gone on to have the season he has it is likely all would be a lot rosier with peoples opinions of him.

The point that he has achieved it not at number 1 could be valid but then look at his scores in his meetings since and he has done just as well.Perhaps being a number one is the 'motivation' he needs to kick on.

The quirk of Speedway is that any rider that improves is automatically at risk for the next year due to the points limit and questions over further improvement. Conversely have a poor year and you can become a 'hot property' and be in demand as many will know you can do better.

You're right about the "quirk" of speedway and it does seem perverse that rider who has done well suddenly becomes difficult to employ the following year.

Steve Worrall is a prime example. The lad has been absolutely brilliant this year, but I'm afraid now looks a real hot potato who is best avoided next season because of that.

Tungate's problem could well be Danny King. King looks to be available next season on an average of 8.88, you'd be pretty daft not to try and get his signature if he could be afforded.

You're not going to go for two 8+ pointers and I've a suspicion we could well be very interested in King's services..

This is only my opinion and my observations of tungate. The reason I don't see him improving much more and becoming the out and out number 1 and going on to be a top elite league rider or other leagues, is basically his limiting style. It seems he is always leg forward and touching ground nearly all the way round the corner, this really does limit what he can do on a bike, it's not a good style to have for letting the bike run in the dirt and it certainly also hinders you changing line quickly in the bends. Just look at Worrall who is going to become a top rider, his style allows him to run around his opposition entering turns which allows him to run to the dirt, his leg is then back and he is balanced, he can then stay in the dirt or quickly lock up and cut up the inside if he chooses, also a foot dab style allows him to enter a corner nearly at 90 degrees allowing him to pin it to the curb, nearly all the top riders have this style in their armoury. Tungates style mainly allows him to race mid track with not much option line change, which is why he very rarely passes from behind and often gets overtaken when in front.

Does anybody know if anybody films the meeting at Scunthorpe? because if the racing is that good it would be a shame if not.

Did anyone film the meeting?

I had a quick look on the Scunny website but couldn't find any mention.

I had a quick look on the Scunny website but couldn't find any mention.

Don't think Scunny meetings have been filmed since GRT Media left a few year back.

No-one currently films the Scunny meetings.

GRT Media filmed until early in 2012, Clean Cut Sports did some meetings later in 2012, including the Play-Off Final.

All the best

Rob

That's a shame - despite the score I may have been tempted by this one.

It wasn't great watching, unless you are a scorpions fan.

Halifax Tigers seems to disprove that theory - he seems to really have enjoyed yesterday's meeting and he's a neutral.

All the best

Rob

I guess it all depends on what different people see as a good meeting. I was seeing it from an Ipswich fans point of view, but if I was a neutral, then yes I guess it was a good meeting with a good amount of passing and gutsy riding.

It wasn't great watching, unless you are a scorpions fan.

..............or a neutral.

For me, it was top drawer stuff :approve:

I can't believe that one of the best racing tracks in the country has no-one filming there. Big D from Plymouth is always after a fast buck and he does a very professional job, I'll ask him :P

It just shows how a fans view of a meeting can turn on the result (and I am certainly not being critical or sarcastic here because I have been there myself).If Ipswich had got the point (or more) they needed, I suspect you would have thought it was a brilliant meeting too.

I can't believe that one of the best racing tracks in the country has no-one filming there. Big D from Plymouth is always after a fast buck and he does a very professional job, I'll ask him :P

You need to sell some to make it worthwhile ... looks like it wasn't viable?

I talked to the guy from Plymouth, and they have a excellent deal with the promotion down there, which makes it much easier to justify the effort and keeps the cost down for customers.

Edited by Had Enough Too