British Speedway Forum
g13webb

Posf2 Poole V Kings Lynn

Have you been going long.I've always remembered speedway going right up to the end of October.You make it sound like it's only a recent thing.

The seasons have in recent years been shortened,not lengthened at all.

Ive been going since 1970 mate, but things have changed a bit since then, don't you think..

Ive been going since 1970 mate, but things have changed a bit since then, don't you think..

Yes.I was replying to (Well the problem is it runs to long now, way into October) this implies it never use to run much into October.

Ok, how about this one...

On Monday a friend took along another friend for his 2nd ever speedway meeting. He filled in a programme (badly some may say but he gave it a go!). He grasped the TR and asked, "why can't bother riders get double points" - not the usual alleged cry of "but that a farce". At one point we mentioned how Worky fans would be upset at Howarths score and he asked why so we briefly explained doubling up, he got it, it makes sense as we explained it as young riders be helped to move up a league. He enjoyed his night so much he asked at the end, "When is the final" so we informed him Monday to which he dejectedly informed us he couldn't make it. So we told him, not to worry the 2nd leg is Wednesday at Poole or King's Lynn. "Great!!" he replied, "can I come with you?"

So a newbie, a second time to speedway person loved his play-off experience. Waxed lyrical about what he'd just seen and can't wait for his 2nd meeting. But no, the long term fans on here are calling it a farce, it must be.

Good -to know that someone new did find it interesting enough to want to return.

There's still nothing wrong with calling the postponement on Monday a farce. I'm not interested in conspiracy theories - they are just a fun distraction.

However, there have to be questions asked why British speedway can't have a consistent, planned approach to prepare itself for meetings - at the very least major meetings - including covers and the provision of the necessary materials and equipment.

The sports that are succeeding and making money are those with a professional approach.

What has changed Starry?

She would have realised especially Harris cuz he looks like one of my brothers!I'm not a speedway moaner btw and I still attend regular at the wood and monmore and try to get to other tracks although not as much this year because I've found the guest situation a bit of a farce.read one of your posts and you said you only attend now and again,why's that?genuine question not a dig

The winter of 2010/2011 didnt help. Seeing my club screwed over. But I got past it and went along that season. Even after moving back to Cardiff and being 100+ I went a few times but then we had the Kildemand/text/Morris in police custardy with Fords prize asset so he knew he wasn't available saga in the August of 2011 and Ive barely been since. Probably 6 or 7 meetings. Too much crap surrounding the sport and most of it comes from one club. Still watch on Sky every Monday and every other Saturday and even the odd Swedish meeting (doesn't quite work for me in the same way though - I have no thoughts on any Swedish team). The basic concept of 4 riders, 4 laps, 15 times is still as great as ever but I just fear as a sport it's not a level playing field

Good -to know that someone new did find it interesting enough to want to return.

There's still nothing wrong with calling the postponement on Monday a farce. I'm not interested in conspiracy theories - they are just a fun distraction.

However, there have to be questions asked why British speedway can't have a consistent, planned approach to prepare itself for meetings - at the very least major meetings - including covers and the provision of the necessary materials and equipment.

The sports that are succeeding and making money are those with a professional approach.

Dont get me wrong, I agree with that (see above) but I'm not sure whats going on in the play-offs is quite farce. Bordering on pathetic but farce is a bit too far. On this one I do just think Poole messed up - and I'm happy to mock them for that. But I don't think they have tried to do anything and I think fartce is far too strong. This kind of thing happens in all sports and it happens at all levels of our sport in all countries. Want a farce? In Sweden a club pulled out of the play-offs. Or last season in Poland a team refused to ride in the play-off final.

The sport has issues. I just don't think those currently taking place are them if I'm honest.

The winter of 2010/2011 didnt help. Seeing my club screwed over. But I got past it and went along that season. Even after moving back to Cardiff and being 100+ I went a few times but then we had the Kildemand/text/Morris in police custardy with Fords prize asset so he knew he wasn't available saga in the August of 2011 and Ive barely been since. Probably 6 or 7 meetings. Too much crap surrounding the sport and most of it comes from one club. Still watch on Sky every Monday and every other Saturday and even the odd Swedish meeting (doesn't quite work for me in the same way though - I have no thoughts on any Swedish team). The basic concept of 4 riders, 4 laps, 15 times is still as great as ever but I just fear as a sport it's not a level playing field

Dont get me wrong, I agree with that (see above) but I'm not sure whats going on in the play-offs is quite farce. Bordering on pathetic but farce is a bit too far. On this one I do just think Poole messed up - and I'm happy to mock them for that. But I don't think they have tried to do anything and I think fartce is far too strong. This kind of thing happens in all sports and it happens at all levels of our sport in all countries. Want a farce? In Sweden a club pulled out of the play-offs. Or last season in Poland a team refused to ride in the play-off final.

The sport has issues. I just don't think those currently taking place are them if I'm honest.

Great reply - very balanced and sums up a lot of how I feel about the sport without the emotive aspect. Thanks.

This is going to be close, kings lynn getting garrity is a major plus for them and so is harris, poole have opted for kennett over king and cook which while I like kennett he isnt as good as either of the other 2, troy and milik back are a plus but overall I think the changes benefit kings lynn more, conditions are likely to be similar too which is a plus for kings lynn too.

• Like 1

This is going to be close, kings lynn getting garrity is a major plus for them and so is harris, poole have opted for kennett over king and cook which while I like kennett he isnt as good as either of the other 2, troy and milik back are a plus but overall I think the changes benefit kings lynn more, conditions are likely to be similar too which is a plus for kings lynn too.

I would guess the choice is down to averages as King has a higher average than Josh G. Maybe Cook is not available as his average would fit.

I hope Troy rides as well as he did(n't) on Monday!

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 2

well just looking at the forecast. rain all day in poole so this wont go ahead, as poole dont have any covers? thats right isnt it?

Lets hope the meeting is on and the second leg is won fair and square by one of the teams.

At times we have had anger on here( at times misguided! ) but in general, good natured banter and wind-ups but unfortunately spoilt at times by the usual two trolls who never miss an opportunity to stir :oops: :rolleyes:

​So may the best team win and I sincerely hope that either Poole or Kings Lynn go on to lift the trophy.

well just looking at the forecast. rain all day in poole so this wont go ahead, as poole dont have any covers? thats right isnt it?

Certainly looks that way. Constant showers all day with the occasional thundery downpour

Certainly looks that way. Constant showers all day with the occasional thundery downpour

If Kings Lynn take a 4-2 in heat 1, then it p155es it down and it's called off, do the Stars go through to the final?

If Kings Lynn take a 4-2 in heat 1, then it p155es it down and it's called off, do the Stars go through to the final?

dont know the rule on this one tbh.

hoping for a coventry win in the final anyway. strong team.

• Like 1