British Speedway Forum

I think a fully fit Lanham on a sub 5 ave on a track he knows well could be a very shrewd signing.

His best days are long gone - we know that, but he still posted some big scores from the main body of the team on a track he has never been any good on in sheffield last season.

Worth a shot

If we've sacked Ellis off for Leigh Lanham I won't be best pleased to put it mildly.. Edited by CardinalSin
  • Like 1

I think we should be looking at a new asset for the future not Lanham who's best is behind him.

At the moment it doesn't look like Ellis has a team place anywhere. His average is too high to ride NL ( IMHO a backward step) This kid represented GB in the U21's last year and at the moment only has FTR income next season.

If the top boys can't make it pay, how are young Brits supposed to advance in the sport when they're in this kind of position. When it came to the business end of the season last year he stepped up to the plate and would have been one of my nailed on choices for this years team.

If he gives up and is lost to the sport it would be a shame.

• Like 2

1000 percent agree. Thing is, if Louis comes up trumps with a new 5 pointer, some of the fans would soon have forgot about Ellis. It seems like because lakeside have picked Adam it clashes with many premier league tracks on a Friday, Adams choices really do seem limited.

At the moment it doesn't look like Ellis has a team place anywhere.

But it that the fault of Ipswich as Lakeside own his contract and have first call on him. PL places should be sorted first and then the draft fitted in around that, Birks was signed up to Sheffield first so couldn't go back to Swindon. Also seems case with Lambert at Leicester, now cannot sign for his PL club due to clash of race nights!

Seems Ellis is stuck between a rock and a hard place through no real fault of his own. Putting him in the "B" grade has done him no favours aswell.

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut

But it that the fault of Ipswich as Lakeside own his contract and have first call on him. PL places should be sorted first and then the draft fitted in around that, Birks was signed up to Sheffield first so couldn't go back to Swindon. Also seems case with Lambert at Leicester, now cannot sign for his PL club due to clash of race nights!

Seems Ellis is stuck between a rock and a hard place through no real fault of his own. Putting him in the "B" grade has done him no favours aswell.

A degree of naivety perhaps ... signing for Lakeside out of loyalty to the people who brought him into the sport has definitely left him with fewer choices, and a "home" track he has struggled to get used to. A move within the EL would have been beneficial for all sorts of reasons - it would be interesting to know if he had any options, or if Lakeside insisted because he's their asset (in the loose speedway terms)

I think we should be looking at a new asset for the future not Lanham who's best is behind him.

You should be without doubt, but I wouldn't bet against it being Lanham. Very uninspiring signing if it is.

Maybe the fact that Lanham is currently on holiday in Tenerife is the reason the team isn't complete, and it will be completed on his return?

You should be without doubt, but I wouldn't bet against it being Lanham. Very uninspiring signing if it is.

Maybe the fact that Lanham is currently on holiday in Tenerife is the reason the team isn't complete, and it will be completed on his return?

I hope you're very wrong about that! No offence to Lanham he seems like a great lad and a top professional, but he's 37 and been on the slide for a good few years now. Would be an awful signing.

Chris Louis has again been making all the noises in the paper about building for a return to the EL. If he wants to do that then he needs to be signing another Manzares/Heeps/Tungate and put another brick in the wall, not sign a rider at the twilight of his career.

Edited by Bloomy
  • Like 1

I doubt it will be lanham, also, who will the 3 pointer be? Anyone have any preferences?

Edited by baldyman

A degree of naivety perhaps ... signing for Lakeside out of loyalty to the people wh

o brought him into the sport has definitely left him with fewer choices, and a "home" track he has struggled to get used to. A move within the EL would have been beneficial for all sorts of reasons - it would be interesting to know if he had any options, or if Lakeside insisted because he's their asset (in the loose speedway terms)

Lakeside chose Adam from the draft, I don't think he would have ridden there if it was his choice

Who the 3 pointer would be if it is a new 5 pointer is just as important.

Very difficult to carry a very low scoring No7.

When you look at an option of say Ellis/Jacobs you would expect a solid contribution from both.

With a makeweight No 7 the other newcomer has to be capable of getting all those on his own.

Why? I think it's a real possibility to be honest and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest

Yes it's a possibility, but surely most of us think Louis has already made a mistake by not selecting Adam, would Louis really be stupid enough to sign lanham also? Maybe stupid isn't the correct word, but surely signing lanham wouldn't drum up any extra crowd, but maybe a knew rider would?

Who the 3 pointer would be if it is a new 5 pointer is just as important.

Very difficult to carry a very low scoring No7.

When you look at an option of say Ellis/Jacobs you would expect a solid contribution from both.

With a makeweight No 7 the other newcomer has to be capable of getting all those on his own.

Correct, having a 3 pointer only scoring 000 or 100 really means the 5 pointer if there is to be one must score 7 and 8 to be just as good as 2 4 pointers

Yes it's a possibility, but surely most of us think Louis has already made a mistake by not selecting Adam, would Louis really be stupid enough to sign lanham also? Maybe stupid isn't the correct word, but surely signing lanham wouldn't drum up any extra crowd, but maybe a knew rider would?

An exciting looking newcomer on a 5.00 would certainly help the season ticket sales pitch by the club that is coming any day now, not sure a bottom end of Hawkins, Lanham and a weak looking 3 pointer would see the season ticket hotline jammed.

• Like 1