British Speedway Forum

Gomolski??? One minute flying, the next a wobbling novice over-shooting corners & slipping off. Likely to lack commitment to the EL too. Maybe a 5 pointer.

never pi55ed the frosts about (always turned up) he's a class act he'll do well at poole

• Like 3

Everyone knew of Gomolski, yet only Poole went for him on what looks like a great average. No complaints about 'dodgy' averages from me.

Thing is, there is now a massive inconsistency when it comes to riders who have been out of the EL for 3 or more seasons.

If you're a No. 1 like AJ you get re-assessed DOWN to that of the best rider from the previous season which makes sense and seems fair and gets 'box office' riders back in the EL.

So, why not run the same rule for lesser riders - i.e. they get re-assessed to whatever the lowest average in the EL was the previous season e.g Gomolski would come in on a 5 point something average and not on the rather out-dated 3.91 which is obviously not reflective of his ability.

Just an idea, and I think it would close this loop hole which I appreciate EVERYONE has the chance to exploit.

It would help UK riders get more a chance too as there would no longer be this 3-4 yearly cycle of a young foreign riders coming over, getting a low average, then going back home for a few years to develop and improve before returning to the UK, twice the rider but on a low unrepresentative average no doubt at the expense of a young UK rider.

This is not a post aimed at Poole, I have no problem with how they have built their team this season. Just want to clarify that before I get pelted!

• Like 3

Everything comes to those that wait!!

Re Gomolski - his average of 3.94 was only gained the season before last, not having been out of the EL for 3 seasons!!

Did i question Skidders knowledge of all things Poole?

Goodness me, I should hope not HS - anymore than I would question your knowledge of all things.......Swindon?! :D:shock::wink:

• Like 1

Majic should have been given the Captains role at the start of the year instead of waiting to see how Golden Boy got on. To me Majic is twice the person that Darcy is, it would be good to see Darcy take a leaf out of Majic's book. He may struggle at times with his English, but why they didn't give him the No.1 slot to start with beats me.

If I had been Matt Ford, I would have told Darcy to go home and come back in a year or 2 when he had proved that he was a different and a very changed person. Don't think for one minute that he will be missed and I just hope that when Darcy has done his punishment that they don't drop a good rider just to make way for him.

For me his days of standing on his golden plinth should have ended they day he turned up at the Latvian GP. He should now have to earn his right to a place in any team not just Poole, if I was a promoter I would have to sit and think very hard about giving him a place in my team.

Nothing against him as a rider but I have big problems with Darcy the person.

Well done Majic and I hope you will have the oppertunity to stay as captain, for the whole of the coming season, you proved last year that you had got it in you to do the job and a great job you made of it, as well as proving that you could up your pace on the track, when the time came for you to do so.

Edited by weatherwatcher
  • Like 5

The majority of his average is made up from his rides in 2011 with the Panthers no?

Well he did ride from the season start til end June for Swindon in 2013.

Majic should have been given the Captains role at the start of the year instead of waiting to see how Golden Boy got on. To me Majic is twice the person that Darcy is, it would be good to see Darcy take a leaf out of Majic's book. He may struggle at times with his English, but why they didn't give him the No.1 slot to start with beats me.

If I had been Matt Ford, I would have told Darcy to go home and come back in a year or 2 when he had proved that he was a different and a very changed person. Don't think for one minute that he will be missed and I just hope that when Darcy has done his punishment that they don't drop a good rider just to make way for him.

For me his days of standing on his golden plinth should have ended they day he turned up at the Latvian GP. He should now have to earn his right to a place in any team not just Poole, if I was a promoter I would have to sit and think very hard about giving him a place in my team.

Well done Majic and I hope you will have the oppertunity to stay as captain, for the whole of the coming season, you proved last year that you had got it in you to do the job and a great job you made of it, as well as proving that you could up your pace on the track, when the time came for you to do so.

Just as well you're not a promoter then cos come the beginning of July, IF Poole don't/can't use him and he is still keen to do EL, then every other promoter will be having some serious talks with their respective bank managers, to bite his arm off!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

13 meetings for Swindon in 2013, more than I thought but still a lot less than the 20 odd he rode for Panthers in 2011.

Saw him quite a few times at the EOES, he seemed a popular lad around the pits but was inconsistent as expected.

Wonder what he'll think of the track at Wimbourne Road, hopefully Magic will tell him where the holes are : )

If what you believe is right and i respect that, why would you get rid of Ward when you have no able replacement? logic please he comes back June 27th,He might not be able to be fitted in straight away but nobody replaces him really.
  • Like 1

If what you believe is right and i respect that, why would you get rid of Ward when you have no able replacement? logic please he comes back June 27th,He might not be able to be fitted in straight away but nobody replaces him really.

Roll on 27th June, Majic out and Darcy in - who cares who is Captain!

13 meetings for Swindon in 2013, more than I thought but still a lot less than the 20 odd he rode for Panthers in 2011.

Saw him quite a few times at the EOES, he seemed a popular lad around the pits but was inconsistent as expected.

Wonder what he'll think of the track at Wimbourne Road, hopefully Magic will tell him where the holes are : )

Finishing runner-up to Piotr Pawlicki in the World U-21s last season will do for me - and he beat Vaclav Milik into 3rd place and we know how well Vaclav did for Poole last year!

Apparantly Holder, Watt and Janowski all raved about him!

Edited by Skidder1

Well he did ride from the season start til end June for Swindon in 2013.

Just as well you're not a promoter then cos come the beginning of July, IF Poole don't/can't use him and he is still keen to do EL, then every other promoter will be having some serious talks with their respective bank managers, to bite his arm off!!

....I'm not so sure about that!

Again, I feel we should congratulate Matt Ford, not only in finding a rigger in Gomolski, but for showing us how inapt our scoring system has become. The BSPA saw it wise to adjust the scoring of the top riders by reducing AJ average to equal top-man Neils on 9.03. What a pity they didn't deem it necessary to do the same with the lower end. To allow a Top World u21 rider to come in on a 2 yr old average of 3.94 is ludicrous. Especially with this easier new format, seconds strings are guaranteed a min of 5, Gomolski, will have a field day.

People on here, especially those Poole fans, will say 'that what make a good Manager'. probably so. But it does nothing for the ailing sport of our speedway. Like I have preached before, The victors should be rewarded for the merits shown on the track, not which Manager can find the biggest hole in the promotions colander......

There were some of us on here who voiced concerns about the implications our new format would create. What a pity the BSPA didn't listen then.

One has to feel sorry for Coventry, in that Jamrog was accessed on 5.5. That is completely opposite to the thinking of using averages 2 yrs. adrift. If I were them I'd ask for a refund... :nono:

But like I say, well done to Matt Ford.

Gomolski has lots of ability, his issue in the past as with many Poles has been his commitment.....with no U21 stuff he is likely to be much more reliable. Should be able to stick a couple of points on his average. Poole look like the team to beat with the number seven they managed to gain to back up a strong top five, although as we know there are likely to be changes before the Play Offs so who starts the season doesn't necessarliy matter too much.

EDIT agree GRW, have said all along that weightings should have been applied to averages at the end of last year depending on whether a rider spent the year as a heat leader or second string. Now we've had a year of the new format no rider should be able to come into or back to the EL on anything less than 5. And thats a pop at the rules NOT Poole.

Edited by Gordon Bennett

Was there any reasons given to not have included Vaclav in the team this year?

Plenty of those on here who know absolutely nothing posted numerous times that he was 'asking for too much money'. But I completely disagree with that. For some unknown reason Fordy wanted Dak North and Watty and my theory on that is because he couldn't fit Vaclav (and another decent rider) in if Darcy got let off. Yet another rider Fordy discards due to his own success. This is one of my big bug bears with our promotion.

Edited by chris4gillian