British Speedway Forum
Stats

Australian Gp Is Back

Every thread I read you usually pop up disagreeing with the majority.

How taking the gp series to a new continent - a continent where some of the top riders in the world come from - is a bad move is beyond me.

I dont think its anything to do with money - its a huge gamble which could see them lose a lot.

Its a positive move and how people cant see that is totally baffling

So what!!

This is a Forum for Debate - if I have a view that nobody agrees with - I will air it. That is what this Forum is about. I will not agree with lots of people on here and lots won't agree with me - that is the way it should be - it's called DEBATE.

As regards the Australian GP - I couldn't care less if they have one in Timbuktu - I don't like the GP System or the involvement of BSI who are only in it for the MONEY.

If you believe that they give a toss about Speedway itself or the Speedway Supporters you are deluding yourself.

Unlike yourself I admit that you have the right to delude yourself if you wish - that is your privilege. BUT please grant me the right to hold my views also.

I dont think its anything to do with money - its a huge gamble which could see them lose a lot.

Judging from debates re other GP problems it won't be BSI that lose money. As I understand it they sell the rights to local promoters. I'm sure someone will tell me if this isn't the case

Judging from debates re other GP problems it won't be BSI that lose money. As I understand it they sell the rights to local promoters. I'm sure someone will tell me if this isn't the case

Sounds like a great arrangement to me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But if there is a Profit I bet that BSI benefit from that. :blink:

I just want to know why the Aussie 2015 gp finale is a bad thing??? Your acting like bsi have announced their staging the final gp in baghdad!!

I think this is brilliant news. Will be a long trip from NYC but can't wait to go on my maiden trip down under.

The riders must be over the moon they are finishing off the season in one of the best stadiums in the world. I'm not a huge fan of the Aussie's by any stretch but with the contribution their riders have made to GP's, SWC's & European/World speedway in General, I think you'd be hard pushed to begrudge them staging the final round. Also I can't think of another sport where they care about the fans to the point of choosing the venue. F1 certainly doesnt. The venues for the next two football world cups are another example.

I find it hard to understand why BSI come in for so much flack on here. Don't really see what they've done wrong. If it's their lack of regard for the domestic leagues I'd say that the British EL dug it's own grave a long time ago, Denmark, Poland & Sweden seem to be coping just fine.

With regards to equipment Phil is right, all riders strive for their motors to be equally competitive but that's just not possible & so of course they use what's best for the GP's, But that's nothing new, riders would save their best engines for the world final years and years ago. Just common sense really...

I just want to know why the Aussie 2015 gp finale is a bad thing??? Your acting like bsi have announced their staging the final gp in baghdad!!

The GP system is new so White Knight doesn't like it. He prefers the World Championship to be decided in a one-off shoot out at the end of the season rather than a season long competition.

He also doesn't like the play-offs as they are new, he prefers the league champions to be decided in a season long competition rather than a shoot-out at the end of the season.

No contradiction of course :)

• Like 3

That says it all BW

I have no problem with the Australian GP. As I said, I'm not bothered if they hold one in Timbuktu.

Speedway sold it's soul to BSI who contribute nothing to the Sport in the various Leagues around the World, but just treat them as feeder farms for the GPs. They do not produce their own Riders - that is done by the said Leagues.

BSI - GPs just reap the benefits.

I have no problem with the Australian GP. As I said, I'm not bothered if they hold one in Timbuktu.

Speedway sold it's soul to BSI who contribute nothing to the Sport in the various Leagues around the World, but just treat them as feeder farms for the GPs. They do not produce their own Riders - that is done by the said Leagues.

BSI - GPs just reap the benefits.

Great post WK ,i like the GP series i never agreed with it hated it the old one off championships were great i loved them ..But I have to admit i was wrong, it is great value still i don't agree who rides in it but it is a great product,But over the last ten years or so our league system has suffered we were the best now we are a afterthought and extra pocket money for the top riders.

Great post WK ,i like the GP series i never agreed with it hated it the old one off championships were great i loved them ..But I have to admit i was wrong, it is great value still i don't agree who rides in it but it is a great product,But over the last ten years or so our league system has suffered we were the best now we are a afterthought and extra pocket money for the top riders.

I'm afraid so sidney.

The root cause of the dilution and ruination of our British Leagues is the GP System - and I - for one - cannot forgive them (BSI) for that.

I'm afraid so sidney.

The root cause of the dilution and ruination of our British Leagues is the GP System - and I - for one - cannot forgive them (BSI) for that.

And nothing to do with the Polish and Swedish leagues paying more money?

• Like 1

And nothing to do with the Polish and Swedish leagues paying more money?

That too.

But BSI are a contributory factor - even you cannot deny that.

Seems a strange one that as soon as NZ is gone an Australian one appears.

It's not strange at all. The NZ GP lost its promoter a packet and he said enough was enough after his 3 year commitment was up.

How taking the gp series to a new continent

It's not going to a new continent - it's been there before and the pulled was pulled after its promoter got burned.

The GP system is new so White Knight doesn't like it. He prefers the World Championship to be decided in a one-off shoot out at the end of the season rather than a season long competition.

He also doesn't like the play-offs as they are new, he prefers the league champions to be decided in a season long competition rather than a shoot-out at the end of the season.

No contradiction of course :)

TBF to the White Knight here. While you're right his views are contradictory, so are ours as supporters of a GP series and a play-off system. What it ultimately shows is that we can all see the positives and the negatives in one over over a full season.

While it does rile me a bit that for the 2nd time in 21 years of GP history the Aussies get the final GP while us Brits have yet to have it once despite hosting 21 GPs, most of which have been at Cardiff so been the biggest attended GP of the series each year. I can see that having more GPs further afield is a good thing. To the point that I actually want to go to Aus, so tying it in with a GP would be perfect for me. I just need to find someone who fancies 2 or 3 weeks in Aus next October/November.

I'd imagine a GP in Melbourne might pull 20-25k or so, but Victoria is not really a state with much of a solo speedway tradition these days.

It seems people will go to new GPs for the novelty, but crowds are harder to sustain in the longer term. However, one would think this one has been costed with local authority support.

While it does rile me a bit that for the 2nd time in 21 years of GP history the Aussies get the final GP while us Brits have yet to have it once despite hosting 21 GPs, most of which have been at Cardiff so been the biggest attended GP of the series each year.

The last GP can also be a poisoned chalice though, if the title has already been sewn up. And with the last one being a long away day, always the chance of a few sicknotes.