British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Elite League Grand Final 1st Leg - Coventry Friday 17th October

Agree. Barker clearly showed he is not fit to return and was a silly risk to take going in to the final when still in pain. A guest would def be better.

When Barker was interviewed he did not say he was unfit or in pain. He said he was ok, just not scoring points, but no lack of effort.

Are you suggesting you drop a team member who is declared fit, to bring in a guest, to try and gain an advantage. Surely that would be cheating, Wouldn't it?

Is it not better to use your own riders wherever possible and NOT use guests.

When Barker was interviewed he did not say he was unfit or in pain. He said he was ok, just not scoring points, but no lack of effort.

Are you suggesting you drop a team member who is declared fit, to bring in a guest, to try and gain an advantage. Surely that would be cheating, Wouldn't it?

Is it not better to use your own riders wherever possible and NOT use guests.

Oh the irony! :wink:

• Like 3

That's part of the problem: the secrecy, lack of responsibility and, I suspect, saying one thing publicly and another privately.

If it is the case that a meeting is called off early then a properly documented decision should be made citing those responsible and consulted which is signed by anyone who is party to it.

I see no reason why that couldn't be made public.

Some very good points which I totally agree with.

I do find it laughable when people say Eurosport do it better than Sky.....I have never ever seen Eurosport's own cameras at any speedway meeting.....taking a feed from a third party is totally different from actually filming and covering it yourself..

There is no way Eurosport would take their own cameras to cover Elite League speedway as they basically take on board ready made coverage from various companies ......it's Sky or nothing for British speedway and people who say nothing are wrong...all sports need TV these days....without TV a sport is nothing

I think if Barker said he was fit then there is no problem with him riding....a rider has to come back at some point regardless of the meeting and he's self employed and contracted to the club....if he says he's fit and the medics say he's fit then he rides...no problems with that

Note the last heat time was over 65 seconds which shows what the track was like.

The main farce is that Poole rode in the grand final with 3 guests. How is Danny King a number 2?

Well done to Bomber and Kyle. I think we missed Max Fricke tonight!

But Fricke is NOT your rider, Barker is . another Bee's fan try to cheat

Oh the irony! :wink:

Poole are using guests because they have to. Not because they want to.

• Like 1

And Batch, Williamson, King, Kennett, Morris et al are not Poole riders either.

No one is trying to cheat - they are expressing an opinion that one rider would be a better option than another - which isn't going to happen unless Ben has aggravated his injury - I'm sure I saw him wince in the pits :wink:

• Like 3

And Batch, Williamson, King, Kennett, Morris et al are not Poole riders either.

No one is trying to cheat - they are expressing an opinion that one rider would be a better option than another - which isn't going to happen unless Ben has aggravated his injury - I'm sure I saw him wince in the pits :wink:

As Brock has alluded to our riders are injured or suspended, Barker is fit so he should ride, I would rather have my own riders than guests although DannyKing did ok but Josh G would have been better as he rides well at Coventry. Edited by foreverblue

As Brock has alluded to our riders are injured or suspended, Barker is fit so he should ride, I would rather have my own riders than guests although DannyKing did ok but Josh G would have been better as he rides well at Coventry.

He did ride - so no one cheated!

Although I did read someone say they would have preferred Kennett!

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 1

Yes but that was purely tor choice of guest for an injured rider, not to replace a fit rider because he might be better.

As you say Barker did ride so they did not cheat. .But there are a few on here saying they would prefer Fricke ride instead of Barker who is a Cov rider. Fricke is not.

Poole are using guests because they have to. Not because they want to.

I was referring to the cheating bit :wink:

Yes but that was purely tor choice of guest for an injured rider, not to replace a fit rider because he might be better.

As you say Barker did ride so they did not cheat. .But there are a few on here saying they would prefer Fricke ride instead of Barker who is a Cov rider. Fricke is not.

And I'm sure they would prefer AJ too but it doesn't mean it's going to happen :wink:

I thought we should have had Kennett as he rode well wednesday, the way Barker rode was predictable and if they said Barker was still unfit nobody would have questioned it. I dont think he was unfit, he always rides likes that , Kennett would have been a better option. Coventry fans were really slagging him off when he didnt stay down after his fall.

I thought we should have had Kennett as he rode well wednesday, the way Barker rode was predictable and if they said Barker was still unfit nobody would have questioned it. I dont think he was unfit, he always rides likes that , Kennett would have been a better option. Coventry fans were really slagging him off when he didnt stay down after his fall.

Happens at all tracks. You've even said so yourself!

It was mentioned that rain would arrive at nine, and yet we had the wasteful chatter, the re-runs of what happened in the semi (which were only last week and still in the memory), and then... we ran out of time, as the threatened rain eventually arrived.

Probably because of what a shambles it has been all season, speedway's worst road crash of a campaign since I remember, the Big Night was totally lacking in build-up. Alright, so Coventry fans finally decided to support their team and discover that speedway is an October sport, congregated like it were a X-Factor signing up day.. but it lacked the Big Night anticipation.

The riders seemed up for it, as there were some great effort to race... riders actually putting their necks on the line. Perhaps there last chance of some glory was the reason... maybe they had realised all season (like Coventry supporters) that, the Finals were the only thing that counts. Only when you are in there does the real hunger to race appear. Unless, with all the really important leagues in Sweden and Poland now complete, GPs etc, riders don't have to protect their bones from injury and take less care.

So we had a big crowd last night.. but I feel the Play-Offs rob the seven months of what precede them of numbers on the gate. It proved last night. Coventry v Poole in the A and B fixtures possibly produced less than a thousand at each. There was probably an air for these matches, that either team could lose them and still make the Play-Offs. Therefore.. savvy fans keep the money in their pocket. Save it... the Finals are all that matters. Skip the needless matches. They are really just rehearsals.

Discuss...

Yes but that was purely tor choice of guest for an injured rider, not to replace a fit rider because he might be better. Did you really expect barker to say im not really fit enough to ride but I'm giving it my best shot ? Whats the latest with grajczonek ? Thats right there's no way that poole would risk bringing him back for such an important match whilst you can bring in decent guests !

I agree to some on here about the meeting being called off, paying 20 quid for 12 heats isnt good value is it and it could have been completed before the rain came, should have started at 7.30 sharp and interviews could have been shorter, all round poor performance from sky. Hans saying they all wanted to race but Harris had a different view didnt seem to show unity! Hans should have ridden better earlier in the meeting, maybe he was upset with his performance and wasnt given the opportunity to make amends

Happens at all tracks. You've even said so yourself!

Yes but to really have a go at him when he had just fallen trying his best was a bit ott in my view