British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Elite League Grand Final 1st Leg - Coventry Friday 17th October

Weather forecast looking better for Thur now so if they have covered the track they should be okay, may even be okay if they haven't.

Otherwise agree with the post about doing it Friday morning if no other options. The forecast is rain in Poole all next week so the next problem will be how would they host a final if they got through if unlike other teams, they are unwilling to use the covers.

Weather forecast looking better for Thur now so if they have covered the track they should be okay, may even be okay if they haven't.

Otherwise agree with the post about doing it Friday morning if no other options. The forecast is rain in Poole all next week so the next problem will be how would they host a final if they got through if unlike other teams, they are unwilling to use the covers.

I don't think it's a case of unwilling to use the covers - by all accounts it has been wet every day so it wouldn't make sense to put covers down on an already wet track. It is unfortunate that since the initial postponement the weather has become seriously wet and I don't think anyone can blame Matt Ford for that. Yes, it was a mistake that the initial postponement happened but I'm sure they are doing everything they can to get it on - not even they would want to depend on the toss of a coin! Edited by Steve0
  • Like 3

TBF, I was in Wareham yesterday (about 8 miles form Poole at a guess) and even if you had covers the rain was so heavy it would have just results in huge puddles on the covers and seeped through. At one point I thought I was going down to the Quay in Poole to borrow a boat to get home. There was some serious rain. But it all comes back to Poole damaging the track last Monday.

TBF, I was in Wareham yesterday (about 8 miles form Poole at a guess) and even if you had covers the rain was so heavy it would have just results in huge puddles on the covers and seeped through. At one point I thought I was going down to the Quay in Poole to borrow a boat to get home. There was some serious rain. But it all comes back to Poole damaging the track last Monday.

Blimey in Wareham, next time i would recommend a walk to Stoborough, Kings Arms does lovely food.

Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 1

Blimey in Wareham, next time i would recommend a walk to Stoborough, Kings Arms does lovely food.

I wasn't walking anywhere yesterday. I value my life, I'd have floated away :D

I was in Wareham yesterday

if you go into the woods today beware of a big surprise!

When Matt Fraud went down to the woods today

For camping and outdoor fun

He packed his tent, provisions and spade

But somehow forgot his gun

He came across a ravenous beast,

And soon became a fabulous feast

Today’s the day a grizzly bear ate him real quick!

Edited by Flyin Panther

So. It's Poole. The enemy :D Should be fun :D

BTW, if they should want to take there time with the first heat if there loads of traffic between Newport and Coventry I would really appreciate it. As I would if someone could leave me a space right at the front to park when I arrive at 7.30 :D

COVENTRY’S home leg of the Elite League Grand Final goes ahead at Brandon on Friday (7.30pm) – with old rivals Poole providing the opposition.

It’s a repeat of the memorable 2010 Final which produced some of the most astonishing scenes in Elite League history as the Buildbase Bees won both home and away to take the title.

But this is their first Final since then, whilst the Pirates are now in the showpiece for a fifth successive season, and are looking to retain the title they won against Birmingham last year.

Poole booked their place when the thrice-postponed semi-final against King’s Lynn finally went ahead on Thursday – although the weather had a big say again, with the second half of the meeting proceeding in atrocious conditions, and the Pirates eventually collected a five-point aggregate win.

Coventry have been kicking their heels since dramatically overcoming Swindon in the semi-finals, and they now face the only team to have taken an away win from Brandon in the last five months – but Bees themselves also won at Wimborne Road earlier in the season.

It all points to an intriguing Final, with the second leg to take place in Dorset on Monday.

Bees will be back to their full one-to-seven for the meeting as Ben Barker makes his return from injury, having recovered from shoulder damage suffered in the home match against Leicester at the end of August.

Poole’s full line-up is to be confirmed, but it will be a first return to Brandon in team competition for Przemyslaw Pawlicki, who was a hero for the Bees in that 2010 success – and Pawlicki along with Polish colleague Maciej Janowski and in-form reserve Kyle Newman have been stalwarts of the Pirates’ team this year.

Coventry manager Gary Havelock said: “I’m happy to have the first leg at home, and as a strategy I think it’s definitely the way to go.

“Poole beat us at Coventry last time but the track turned out quite slick that time, whereas in most meetings lately we’ve had a decent dirt-line around the outside which is what the majority of our riders like – although with all this weather around, we’ll have to wait and see how things are.

“Ben says he’s fit and desperate to ride, and one thing we know we’ll get from him is 100 per cent commitment, he wants to win badly and so do all the boys.”

BUILDBASE BEES (from): Hans Andersen, Ben Barker, Jason Garrity, Kenneth Hansen, Chris Harris, Kyle Howarth, James Sarjeant.

POOLE line-up to be confirmed.

Admission prices: Adults £20, OAP/Concessions £15, Under-16s £5, Under-11s Free. Coventry season tickets valid. Programme £3.

Small world. My daughter used to work in there, still does the odd shift.

Promoters just can't help themselves by bumping up the prices - higher admission and more expensive programme! :rolleyes:

And what extra do you get for the extra money? Absolutely nothing! :rolleyes: Correction - more advertising! :rolleyes:

I'll just watch it on Sky for free - thanks! :rolleyes:

Edited by Steve0

Promoters just can't help themselves by bumping up the prices - higher admission and more expensive programme! :rolleyes:

And what extra do you get for the extra money? Absolutely nothing! :rolleyes: Correction - more advertising! :rolleyes:

I'll just watch it on Sky for free - thanks! :rolleyes:

I know what other sport were put up prices for a final ..only in speedway :rolleyes:

• Like 2