British Speedway Forum
le sorcier

All That Is Wrong With Speedway....

Ok, we can stomp our feet, we can moan and shout. Or we can accept Sweden has 1 day a week, Poland has 1 day a week, ok the GPs are greedy with 2 day a week but British Speedway runs 7 days a week FFS! What exactly do we want? No GP, no Poland and no Sweden. Just British speedway? We have to share, we have to adapt buy we seem incapable of doing that.

Thats the problem we don't operate seven days a week, we are restricted surely you see that?.As an ex) twenty thirty years ago there were Saturday night tracks of there CHOICE now there are the odd few meeting''s. if we are lucky.The GPs practice on the Friday the EL are screwed is that RIGHT or WRONG? if so are the clubs being compensated.?It is not your fault SCB but you never see the old BL in a reasonable shape dictating it was the best league in the world now we take the scraps on offer. Edited by sidney

Thats the problem we don't operate seven days a week, we are restricted surely you see that?.As an ex) twenty thirty years ago there were Saturday night tracks of there CHOICE now there are the odd few meeting''s. if we are lucky.The GPs practice on the Friday the EL are screwed is that RIGHT or WRONG? if so are the clubs being compensated.?It is not your fault SCB but you never see the old BL in a reasonable shape dictating it was the best league in the world now we take the scraps on offer.

Monday - BV, Woles

Tuesday - Cradley, Iow(possibly)

Wednesday - Lynn, Poole

Thursday - Swindon, Ipswich, Sheffield

Friday - Coventry, Somerset, Edinburgh, Scunny

Saturday - Eastbourne, Stoke, Berwick, Workington

Sunday - Glasgow, Berwick, Mildenhall

And that is just a small selection. We run speedway 7 days a week in the UK. Ok next season it may only be 6 if there no IOW or Cradley.

Monday - BV, Woles

Tuesday - Cradley, Iow(possibly)

Wednesday - Lynn, Poole

Thursday - Swindon, Ipswich, Sheffield

Friday - Coventry, Somerset, Edinburgh, Scunny

Saturday - Eastbourne, Stoke, Berwick, Workington

Sunday - Glasgow, Berwick, Mildenhall

And that is just a small selection. We run speedway 7 days a week in the UK. Ok next season it may only be 6 if there no IOW or Cradley.

Get real are they on there traditional night of all clubs? saying that can you ever remember a Saturday night track NO you were probably not born.You make really good points and you make alot of sense but this choice because of the series was taken away from us., Edited by sidney

Ok, we can stomp our feet, we can moan and shout. Or we can accept Sweden has 1 day a week, Poland has 1 day a week, ok the GPs are greedy with 2 day a week but British Speedway runs 7 days a week FFS! What exactly do we want? No GP, no Poland and no Sweden. Just British speedway? We have to share, we have to adapt buy we seem incapable of doing that.

You have to remember, some of these other Euro leagues cover huge areas, and the one night a week works because if it rains in Poland, only a couple of meetings may get rained off, the others, 300 miles away won't!! Also because the teams and tracks are so far spread apart, they don't get Coventry fans at Leicester meetings because there clubs are miles away from each other, not tightly packed into 150 miles!!!!

Edited by Shale Searcher

Get real are they on there traditional night of all clubs? saying that can you ever remember a Saturday night track NO you were probably not born.You make really good points and you make alot of sense but this choice because of the series was taken away from us.,

The trouble was GB tracks couldn't/wouldn't move with the times.You can't expect everything to stay how it was 30 years ago.30 years ago football was basically saturday afternoon at 15:00 + wednesday at half 8 or so....now it is almost everyday and at various times.Even before the advent of the GPs tracks were changing race nights or wanted to and weren't allowed in some cases.Wimbledon raced on mondays when i was born but changed to thursday and was it even wednesdays?I remember one track(i think White City) wanted to change their race night and weren't allowed because another promoter wouldn't let them.Quite often tracks weren't running on their chosen night,they were running on a night that they were allocated and as soon as another track closed down they changed their race night.

Speedway was shooting itself in the foot and on the slide long before the GPs.And they wanted and still want pretty much every day of the week.Well the world has changed and the speedway power base has also.Speedway in GB has to change or the downslide will continue.Personally i think it will continue anyway,but changes have to be made to try and slow down the fall

Edited by iris123

Get real are they on there traditional night of all clubs? saying that can you ever remember a Saturday night track NO you were probably not born.You make really good points and you make alot of sense but this choice because of the series was taken away from us.,

I probably wasnt born? I'm 30. The sport is only 90 so for a third of it's life this is how it been. I'd say pretty traditional.

There a lot of things that happened before I was born but I don't think going back to them days is the answer. And even if it was, we're not going to get it are we? We can blame Poland, Sweden, the GPs, the price of cheese and the amount of CO2 in the O-Zone layer but we can't change them can we? So we have to work with what we have. We have Mon, Wed, Thurs and some Fridays for EL racing while we have 7 days a week or PL and NL. We have to make choice, either run EL Mon, Wed, Thurs or cut down the meetings so we can also run some Fri and Sats too.

But it isnt the gp series that that has robbed britain of the top riders - it is the swedish and polish leagues, where the riders earn their "bread snd butter" income. It isn't that the best riders are nor riding indomestic speedway, its that they are opting out of britain, primarily because of lower earnings and crowded fixture list.

Go to 8 teams home and away plus playoffs with a set race night/s and I imagine a number of top riders could be tempted back. If some el clubs dont think that is enough fixtures, why not also run a pl team replacing the star riders with young juniors/nl riders.

If there were NO GPs - I bet the Elite League would be a lot stronger than it is now. :sad: :sad: :sad:

If there were NO GPs - I bet the Elite League would be a lot stronger than it is now. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I doubt it. The riders would still be pissed off at having to ride 3 meetings 1 week, 1 another, nothing for a month before a month of craming in meetings. All for less than they get in Sweden and Poland.

It's the complete disorganisation of British speedway thats killing it.

I doubt it. The riders would still be pissed off at having to ride 3 meetings 1 week, 1 another, nothing for a month before a month of craming in meetings. All for less than they get in Sweden and Poland.

It's the complete disorganisation of British speedway thats killing it.

No its not.

Its the cost of engines. There are so many fans who have stopped going because Peter Johns charges a lot of money for riders to tune their engines.

That and the fact that riders take nearly an hour to start a race. :)

Disorganisation and the inept way British speedway is run is irrelevant compared to these factors. :)

• Like 2