British Speedway Forum
phillipsr

Is Speedway Better As A Team Sport On As An Individual Sport?

Rubbish, team racing is good still, what the need to do away with is that daft transfer window which certainly backfired!

If Team racing is to stay AND be seen as a vehicle to drive the sport forwards in this country then for me the following could be the answer..

One Elite League of 8 x six men teams, meet once home and away, same night racing, all riders graded A - E for team strength planning, team strengths to be high enough to include two 'A grade' riders per team'. just 48 riders needed leaving plenty of riders to be drafted in to cover injuries - (A league basically built to showcase the sport on TV) - NO GUESTS

One Premier League based on the SWC with 4 teams per meeting, 5 riders per team (4+1 reserve), 16 teams all regionalised with the top teams in each region going to a 4 leg semi/ final, all riders graded A - E for team strength planning, No 'A grade' riders to keep costs down/lower team strengths, 80 riders needed so again plenty of riders to be drafted in to cover injuries and NO GUESTS!!

The Elite League teams can enter the second comp (if they want to) as long as they comply with the competitions team strengths, oh and NO GUESTS... :o

All other clubs who don't go in the EL or PL can run National League, configured any which way as basically it will include a mixture of riders who at any given moment can replace unavailability in the PL or be complete rookies learning their trade, the planning of the heats should reflect this difference in standards to ensure competitive racing..

Probably bollox, but at least its a plan to improve what we have, something I sadly don't have any faith in the current sports' rulers having..... :sad:

Edited by mikebv

Rubbish, team racing is good still, what the need to do away with is that daft transfer window which certainly backfired!

its rubbish correct....

I prefer Team Racing myself.

The problem is that those that hold power within the Sport have done their best to ruin it. They seem intent on fiddling and destroying the credibility of our once wonderful Sport. Folk, by and large, are not daft - they know when they are being conned. Contriving to keep Meetings tight is wrong. Sport, if that is what we are talking about, is about Competition, what it is not about is doing this , that and the other in order to conjure up a truly false and dishonest Result.

One question - IF these Rules regarding Double Points and Play Offs are so great - then why are Crowds, in general - decreasing and not increasing? I would suggest lack of Credibility in the Sport of Speedway is the answer, or at least part of it.

• Like 1

I actually disagree a little with the rules thing whilst i think it is partly responsible for people walking away i dont think it has much to do with the lack of people coming to the sport. When you take someone new generally they dont care about rules etc. As i said on another thread the biggest problem i had encouraging people to come back is that its an absoloute s**t hole

I actually disagree a little with the rules thing whilst i think it is partly responsible for people walking away i dont think it has much to do with the lack of people coming to the sport. When you take someone new generally they dont care about rules etc. As i said on another thread the biggest problem i had encouraging people to come back is that its an absoloute s**t hole

You could be right. When you add all of these things together though it certainly doesn't help the Sport when it comes to attracting new people. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Lack of atmosphere may actually put young people off, that is easily sorted with a little effort?

• Like 1

I prefer to watch team racing at Swindon, but enjoy the Cardiff GP as well(for the comfort, atmosphere and facilities rather than the racing). Obviously more people prefer Cardiff to the league format as the crowds at the 30 tracks(probably less than 25000 per week in total) don't match the 40,000 at the GP.

And neither of the totals you give Big Ron match what Arsenal, the Manchesters City and United, Liverpool etc each get for JUST one home game.

Atmosphere is a big issue IMO. Bothing worse than being stood around with nothing going on

Atmosphere is a big issue IMO. Bothing worse than being stood around with nothing going on

phillipsr - you need a Lemsip my friend. :o;):rofl: :rofl:

No longer having a team to support I tend to only watch GP/SEC on tv. In my younger days it was always team racing first and foremost, with the big individual meetings the icing on the cake. With the disparity in ability within a league team the racing can be a tad disappointing, whereas the major individual events usually provide more exciting fare. In the days of England/Australia and England/Sweden Tests we had evenly matched teams giving us exciting meetings. If my personal circumstances allowed me to attend I would get behind a team again, so it would be team racing for me. However, as the Elite meetings I have seen on tv have not exactly thrilled me I have to say I prefer Individual events.

I prefer Team Racing myself.

The problem is that those that hold power within the Sport have done their best to ruin it. They seem intent on fiddling and destroying the credibility of our once wonderful Sport. Folk, by and large, are not daft - they know when they are being conned. Contriving to keep Meetings tight is wrong. Sport, if that is what we are talking about, is about Competition, what it is not about is doing this , that and the other in order to conjure up a truly false and dishonest Result.

One question - IF these Rules regarding Double Points and Play Offs are so great - then why are Crowds, in general - decreasing and not increasing? I would suggest lack of Credibility in the Sport of Speedway is the answer, or at least part of it.

As I have said before..."Keep it simple"..

League racing is rightly entrenched in UK speedway and other European countries, But the format has also failed in other parts of the world - places I recall offhand include Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Rhodesia, USA. It also went under for many years in Holland although there is a small revival nowadays. But I wonder what turned fans off team racing in the countries I detail?