British Speedway Forum
ciderman

Cost Cutting - How

So you are saying that when we had to give up all our Saturdays things started to go bad, crikey!!!!!!

Many riders don't understand fan mentality for sure. Not sure that promoters do either!

DIDN'T say that at all. Can only speak from personal experience ... Thursday night was speedway night at Wimbledon for me and many friends. That's where we went just about every Thursday from March until October. We didn't even think about it. Thursday = speedway.

Chris Louis told me recently that if Ipswich ran on a Wednesday rather than a Thursday their usual crowd was decimated. That's my point. Once fans get out of the habit, routine, call it what you will many simply drift away.

This had been my argument all along are we ever likely to see a Nigel boocock in these days how many years was he at Coventry, and there were others. Most teams had a few core riders who seemed to be at one team more or less. The fans identified with them. Also I feel another issue is today's win at all cost mentally that's crept in. It's my own opinion that this is a playoff mentality.

When we had a 17 team british league finished 6th was an achievement and for some clubs a major achievement

yes the win at all costs attitude has been a bad thing generally - obviously its nice to win but chopping and changing teams every 5 minutes and bending rules is a modern phenomenon in the main and hasn't been helpful.

it will be easy to pick this comment off - its not the only reason for the sport's decline - Mr Rising mentioned another, continuity, and thats not the only reason either - its a few things, maybe dozens.

DIDN'T say that at all. Can only speak from personal experience ... Thursday night was speedway night at Wimbledon for me and many friends. That's where we went just about every Thursday from March until October. We didn't even think about it. Thursday = speedway.

Chris Louis told me recently that if Ipswich ran on a Wednesday rather than a Thursday their usual crowd was decimated. That's my point. Once fans get out of the habit, routine, call it what you will many simply drift away.

Well we must be a bit different at Lynn cos we changed from Saturdays to Wednesdays and the crowds aren't too bad. Although I dare say they might be better on a Saturday ..... no school for the kids, no work next day for away fans etc

Well we must be a bit different at Lynn cos we changed from Saturdays to Wednesdays and the crowds aren't too bad. Although I dare say they might be better on a Saturday ..... no school for the kids, no work next day for away fans etc

CHRIS wasn't saying that Wednesday was a bad speedway night per se but that Ipswich fans see Thursday as their night. On Wednesdays they might be doing something else.

You only have to go to an amateur meeting at Scunthorpe to see there are plenty of people out there who want to ride Speedway. Give them the opportunity to have plenty of time on the bike and it's worth spending their hard earned money on. Let those thinking about it see that there is a system in place to help them to progress to the higher leagues and you will see more taking it up.

The problem then is that for those good enough to progress through the national league into the PL so often get stopped dead by the asset system that makes an untried foreign rider a better option for a promoter. Once they get him over they'll persevere with him because they stand to gain something in the long term if he comes good. The British lad will get a few meetings and if he struggles will be out (not least because the fans will be wanting him gone). It's a big step up and these kids need a fastrack system for the PL that gives them the time to learn their trade. The asset system needs to go in my opinion and be replaced by a fund to help training tracks paid into by those teams that don't run them.

Then give a team building points advantage for riders retained year on year by teams and you will maybe get your local heroes back.

Don't let foreign riders drop below their assessed average for team building and you'll take away another obstacle for British riders. I would say though that those willing to come over and ride on an ACU licence giving the British leagues priority could be exempt.

• Like 2

You only have to go to an amateur meeting at Scunthorpe to see there are plenty of people out there who want to ride Speedway. Give them the opportunity to have plenty of time on the bike and it's worth spending their hard earned money on. Let those thinking about it see that there is a system in place to help them to progress to the higher leagues and you will see more taking it up.

The problem then is that for those good enough to progress through the national league into the PL so often get stopped dead by the asset system that makes an untried foreign rider a better option for a promoter. Once they get him over they'll persevere with him because they stand to gain something in the long term if he comes good. The British lad will get a few meetings and if he struggles will be out (not least because the fans will be wanting him gone). It's a big step up and these kids need a fastrack system for the PL that gives them the time to learn their trade. The asset system needs to go in my opinion and be replaced by a fund to help training tracks paid into by those teams that don't run them.

Then give a team building points advantage for riders retained year on year by teams and you will maybe get your local heroes back.

Don't let foreign riders drop below their assessed average for team building and you'll take away another obstacle for British riders. I would say though that those willing to come over and ride on an ACU licence giving the British leagues priority could be exempt.

and the whole british rider thing gets undermined by things like the devon v buxton meeting tonight when despite advertising the spot on facebook buxton had to ride with 5 riders and r/r ,surely a rider british rider who really wants to make it the sport would of gone even if it costs them money

Can't disagree with that Dean. Couldn't believe they couldn't get a rider when I saw it on FB, you would think somebody would want to give it a go.

Must admit that as much as I want to see young British riders make their way when I go to Rye House for practice days I can't help but wonder why some spend so much time sitting around in the pits.

There are British kids out there though with a really good attitude and it would be unfair to tar them all with the same brush.

Speedway has reached the stage where is wouldn't be possible to ditch every sub-standard foreign rider in one fell swoop.To do this would only create a vacuum which at present couldn't be filled and have the inevitable result of teams of very lopsided strengths - but we could say "no more from now on" - and stick rigidly to it.

We could revert to the old system whereby EVERY foreign rider was automatically given an eight or nine point average and kept it. That way promoters would soon latch on to the fact that bringing over unknown foreigners who might or might not eventually make the grade, would be an expensively pointless exercise.

• Like 4

Never been to an amateur meeting, but if what you are saying is true then the BSPA should be looking at ways to make more people access league racing.

Lets promote a system that encourages the semi proffessional rider, with reduced cost machinery that this thread talks of.

This could draw more local riders, ones who are Tesco stackers by day and the clubs 2, 6's and 7's by night.

If it means scrapping points limit and averages to maintain team consistency then so be it. The richest clubs always seem to end up a the top end of the league anyway. Poor clubs just end up paying a wage they can't afford if they have the misfortune to end up doing well! lol.

The UK can no longer afford to operate the current Elite League. And it is no longer a practical proposition.

There still needs to be more than one level of league, but in the present times, the UK is far more suited to the top level being approximately the level of the current PL. And if the higher-priced riders don't like that, then tough, we should have the balls to say goodbye and we will go with something that is more suitable.

That should put an end to issues about race nights.

If any of the current EL clubs don't like that, and think it would be a backwards step, then they should look at forming a european super league or something like that.

• Like 1

CHRIS wasn't saying that Wednesday was a bad speedway night per se but that Ipswich fans see Thursday as their night. On Wednesdays they might be doing something else.

What I am saying is that fans can actually get used to a different race night, we had to at Lynn .....

What I am saying is that fans can actually get used to a different race night, we had to at Lynn .....

It took a while tho Edited by Star Lady

Speedway has reached the stage where is wouldn't be possible to ditch every sub-standard foreign rider in one fell swoop.To do this would only create a vacuum which at present couldn't be filled and have the inevitable result of teams of very lopsided strengths - but we could say "no more from now on" - and stick rigidly to it.

We could revert to the old system whereby EVERY foreign rider was automatically given an eight or nine point average and kept it. That way promoters would soon latch on to the fact that bringing over unknown foreigners who might or might not eventually make the grade, would be an expensively pointless exercise.

Sadly that is true but it could make having foreign riders an expensive (team building wise) commodity. As you say give them a high average regardless of ability. Perhaps give a dispensation to a rider who commits to Brit racing and bases themselves here as not all foreigners are mercenaries. :)

It's a position the BSPA have gotten themselves into and the FTR shows they now realise that.

These idiots got us into this mess and it's about time they took measures to get us out of it.

Have two leagues of comparable standard without the top riders. In other words PL level.

Race on any night you like or can.

Maybe introduce a meaningful promotion relegation system where teams have a chance to progress if they wish.

Star status is simply a state of mind and we got along nicely in the old NNL days without International Speedway riders.

Bring back the excitement of supporting a team that actual is a team rather than a bunch of nomads.

Surely SKY or BT would be interested in covering such a league as it would be exciting as we saw the rise of new star riders.

Whatever they do it must be different to what they do now as it is clear to see what they are doing is not working.

But we all know what will happen. Watered down more expensive speedway with tons of cash going to the handful of International Speedway riders and little or nothing to the future. :(

• Like 5

SORRY but you are still missing the point ... which is that when, for example, Ipswich change temporarily for just one night many of the Thursday regulars don't attend.

Fair enough Phil, but then again if we have a Friday meeting at Lynn we probably have more fans attend :-D No doubt if we had one off Saturday nights we'd enjoy some great crowds with loads of away fans attending!

Shows that it depends what off day u run on :-)