British Speedway Forum
SCB

Ftd Reserves

Be good to hear his side on this then.

Either way something has a funny smell.

Let's be honest this is nothing new is it

The BSPA couldn't organise a piss up at a brewery, as one promoter said to me recently they haven't got anyone on the BSPA that is smart enough to solve the problems they currently have, those that have tried over the years have just got fed up with the politics and walked away, a bit like a lot of the supporters.

• Like 1

And I take it that this promoter includes him/herself, as being a promoter you are a part of the bspa and collectively make the decisions

SCB, on 21 Oct 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

So the season over and most people have had their say. I think generally the draft was a success. One issue is that the reserve have too much importance in a meeting, so maybe the answer is to remove heat 9. Reserves get the 3 rides each. I'm sure it used to be the case that reserves only got 3 rides anyway, and in probably 80% of meetings 1 reserve only got 3 rides anyway.

It means rather than reserve scoring 16 points they can only get 10 points between them unless they beat second strings.

To make up for the lost heat, heat 15 can be top 2 scorers and heat 14 can be any 2 other riders nominated.

It was a success for Coventry & Poole .. they had the best two FTR riders in my opinion & were a massive factor in the two clubs reaching the Final . Look at the points the two scored . If the lads had have gone to other teams perhaps they Bees & Pirates would not have made it ..

• Like 1

A fast track reserve rider on £50 a point that is scoring double figures virtually every match is should be able to maintain bikes good enough for the races he is in and earn a good wage.....over 500 quid a meeting...that's not bad at all for a rider of that level....can't believe people complain about that to be honest.

But most ftr of course would be scoring half that. 250 quid (before tax) to cover bikes, travel and living doesnt seem a lot to me.

Let's be honest this is nothing new is it

The BSPA couldn't organise a piss up at a brewery, as one promoter said to me recently they haven't got anyone on the BSPA that is smart enough to solve the problems they currently have, those that have tried over the years have just got fed up with the politics and walked away, a bit like a lot of the supporters.

True.

Think the point that Morris was meant to be `independent` with the draw proves that his strings were being pulled by the BSPA all along.

It makes you question whether the draw was as fair as it was meant to be.

But most ftr of course would be scoring half that. 250 quid (before tax) to cover bikes, travel and living doesnt seem a lot to me.

Well I would say a fast track reserve shouldn't be on more than £50 a point...and a very good fast track reserve with the points they are on would more than be able to maintain bikes to compete at that level...

We maintained enough bikes over the years for British League and European meetings with far tougher races than fast track reserve races and £50 a point should be more than enough at that level in my opinion........if teams can genuinely afford to pay fast track reserves over £500 a meeting, every meeting, sometimes more , then it's no wonder speedway is struggling.......most motor sport you pay to compete and for very poor prize money until you reach a certain level, which very few do.

• Like 1

True.

Think the point that Morris was meant to be `independent` with the draw proves that his strings were being pulled by the BSPA all along.

Since when has the BSPA done things fairly!!!!!

And I take it that this promoter includes him/herself, as being a promoter you are a part of the bspa and collectively make the decisions

Possibly but any change is difficult unless it suits certain members.

Without doubt the main reason Poole and Coventry reached the final was the scoring power of the reserves and it has to be evened out in the close season.

The best way so far suggested is to have one draft reserve at number seven and the other reserve be a better grade British rider like Garrity Newman or even Auty.

Let the number sevens have the easy heats against each other and second strings but the better reserve needs to be tested more.

True.

I believe Leicester got the riders they wanted.

Another problem is that you're expecting the young lads to maintain two EL standard bikes on £50 a point, their points are just as important as anyone else's in the team but they're riding for a fraction of the money.

How are they supposed to improve their equipment and remain competitive ?

If Mr Ellis is on £50 per point, he's £10 a point luckier than many!

That aside, I do agree with your post.

And even when they do receive the money, it's received late. Very late, in some cases.

It becomes even more problematic to keep the bikes up to a good standard when the money isn't great, and that money isn't received in a timely manner.

I don't know what Mr Ellis is on, i just know that for many of the riders it's a struggle too keep bikes competitive

All of the fast track riders should have averages for next year's team-building to allow the teams with last/least choice to have a stronger 1-5 & those averages should not be based on PL converted averages alone. Newman would be a steal on his.

The range must be something like Benji Compton 1.5 to Newman on 5.

Without doubt the main reason Poole and Coventry reached the final was the scoring power of the reserves and it has to be evened out in the close season.

The best way so far suggested is to have one draft reserve at number seven and the other reserve be a better grade British rider like Garrity Newman or even Auty.

Let the number sevens have the easy heats against each other and second strings but the better reserve needs to be tested more.

Yes Benji, Lee, Ben and Brendan were scintillating throughout - real match-winners!! :D:wink:

• Like 1

If Mr Ellis is on £50 per point, he's £10 a point luckier than many!

That aside, I do agree with your post.

And even when they do receive the money, it's received late. Very late, in some cases.

It becomes even more problematic to keep the bikes up to a good standard when the money isn't great, and that money isn't received in a timely manner.

Isn't that what sponsors are for?

Isn't that what sponsors are for?

Absolutely I'm sure they are benefitting from EL sponsorship.

• Like 1