British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAudi

Edinburgh 2015.

The answer is quite simple but will never be implemented

Main reason that the real elite riders don't race in the UK is that there are too many meetings and it is not on a consistent meeting night

The problem with riders doubling up is there are too many clashes between pl and el.

There are also too many clashes with riders foreign commitments

Answer:

Reduce the number of meetings in the elite league and only run on a regular meeting night, i.e. all on Monday or perhaps Thursday. That will solve both problems

This is meant to be a Sport and Entertainment,these greedy riders that want to ride every night of the week in a different can to take as much money out of the Sport as they can should be told to go and get a proper job.We are seeing more and more jaded performers as the season goes on due to these guys just going through the motions to take the cash on offer.The Team ethics of the sport is a joke IMO

The current agreements with other countries speedway don't do the upcoming rider like cookie any favours either. Whilst I am sure there are teams that would like to give him a go his starting average does not help. That is one of the reasons Cookie is stuck in limbo and will probably end up without a foreign club and have to go back to the PL to make ends meet.

My understanding is at the moment in Poland, Sweden and Denmark a UK based rider will be given a starting assessed average/grade which is the same as their average in the Elite League. With the calibre of rider in the EL, this average will be very much inflated compared with their peers and said rider will end up competing with far superior riders for team slots.

If I was an upcoming rider in the PL I would refuse to go to EL and try to get a ride abroad based on my PL average (not sure how that works). Much more attractive starting average/grade for a foreign club. Maybe once established with the correct average I would consider going EL but not before, even if I was a British rider this has to be the way to go until the EL gets its act together.

This is meant to be a Sport and Entertainment,these greedy riders that want to ride every night of the week in a different can to take as much money out of the Sport as they can should be told to go and get a proper job.We are seeing more and more jaded performers as the season goes on due to these guys just going through the motions to take the cash on offer.The Team ethics of the sport is a joke IMO

These greedy riders, hahahahahahahahahaha. You make it sound like they have a cushy number and should give it all up to commit and be a loyal to a club in the UK that will ditch them at the end of the season when their average doesn't fit. Their career is likely to be over by 35 and that is assuming they don't pick up any major injuries. The only riders they get in the EL at the moment are the greedy ones.

They are now voting with their feet and not racing in the UK, Kildemand another one gone. What you say about jaded performances are true and riders are realising this and choosing to drop a league. At the moment it is a no brainer you drop the UK. So unless the UK does something drastic it will always be a far inferior league

The current agreements with other countries speedway don't do the upcoming rider like cookie any favours either. Whilst I am sure there are teams that would like to give him a go his starting average does not help. That is one of the reasons Cookie is stuck in limbo and will probably end up without a foreign club and have to go back to the PL to make ends meet.

My understanding is at the moment in Poland, Sweden and Denmark a UK based rider will be given a starting assessed average/grade which is the same as their average in the Elite League. With the calibre of rider in the EL, this average will be very much inflated compared with their peers and said rider will end up competing with far superior riders for team slots.

If I was an upcoming rider in the PL I would refuse to go to EL and try to get a ride abroad based on my PL average (not sure how that works). Much more attractive starting average/grade for a foreign club. Maybe once established with the correct average I would consider going EL but not before, even if I was a British rider this has to be the way to go until the EL gets its act together.

These greedy riders, hahahahahahahahahaha. You make it sound like they have a cushy number and should give it all up to commit and be a loyal to a club in the UK that will ditch them at the end of the season when their average doesn't fit. Their career is likely to be over by 35 and that is assuming they don't pick up any major injuries. The only riders they get in the EL at the moment are the greedy ones.

They are now voting with their feet and not racing in the UK, Kildemand another one gone. What you say about jaded performances are true and riders are realising this and choosing to drop a league. At the moment it is a no brainer you drop the UK. So unless the UK does something drastic it will always be a far inferior league

It is a Sport,they don't have to take the risks if they don't want too,nobody is forcing them to ride Speedway to make a living.

Surely the best scenario for the Cookie Monster would be:

1) If he wants to be back at Edinburgh, get his name on a contract now... Already an Edinburgh legend and I doubt he'd line up for another PL team.

2) Sort out where in the EL he'll be. Belle Vue may be a big doubt if they were so cheesed off with him missing so many home meetings due to a race-night clash... Wednesday night track maybe? Poole? Kings Lynn?

3) Try and get a Swedish place (though team spots are filling up fast)... Secure league, he'll improve and gets his desire to race the top boys and is on a race night that won't affect the UK.

4) Become a squad member in Poland. If he rides in Poland full time, he has to give up the PL as there are too many clashes. But if he was a squad member, it'd be easier to ride some meetings when required to without clashing.

5) Work over the close season to gain more sponsorship...

Cheesed off with him missing so many home meetings.Just to put the record straight he missed just one against Lakeside

It is a Sport,they don't have to take the risks if they don't want too,nobody is forcing them to ride Speedway to make a living.

no but if speedway racing becomes unaffordable to riders then there won't be any more speedway. If riders were driving around in ferrari's or with massive watches I'd be agreeing with you. Some riders race at a loss, to call them greedy is just wrong. As I say especially in a league where teams cannot be loyal.

This is a thread about Edinburgh 2015 and everyone of the team that rode this year deserves the loyalty to be there next season but that is impossible.

Deek is retiring and one of the reasons he is retiring is because he can't afford to compete and is running at a loss.

Cookie who probably deserves the most loyalty is still the most difficult to fit in, if he wants to ride PL then we probably will have to find a place for him. Would hate to see him race for another team, ideally Monarchs would like to sell him to an EL club and make some money

Stevie Worrall who is probably the main reason for the phenomenal start to the season and was the foundation behind our team is proably on an uncomfortable average. I would reccomend him to very team in the league but think it is very unlikely he will be back at edinburgh

Sam, Justin and Max are all brilliant propspects who have had great seasons, would have them all back in a second but we can only do that if cookie moves on

Ironically Aaron who is the only man who arguably hasn't done enough to keep his place has an attractive average and if the club can get assurances on equipment and preparation has a good chance of being back.

I am actually someone who sees the merit in the average system but the victims of the rules are the riders who get mucked about and sometimes left out completely because of them. They would all love to double up and find clubs abroad to improve and get better. 4 of them have moved to the other side of the world to become a speedway rider and yet you call them greedy.

Gone are the days when British speedway ruled the waves and could control all the riders, the clubs over here have to realise this and do something drastic to get the level of speedway in this country back up and start producing riders again

• Like 1

Do you not think that The BSPA should be changing the rules and make sure that riders that want to be loyal to a club are allowed .By the same token if there are no fans turning up the riders can't expect to be payed money that is not there.Full time professional speedway riders in Britain will be a thing of the past the way attendances are going or a lot of Clubs will fold..While it was a decent crowd at Armadale for the Play off Final it was not the biggest crowd I have seen there.That was the average crowd afew years ago IMO.

Maybe in the first year at armadale, it has been a long time since a crowd that size on any more than a one off. Hope a few of the newbies or returnees turn up next season

You are probably right there is an argument that the average system is no longer valid and hinders the sport. Good luck getting the promoters to agree to that one

• Like 1

Stevie Worrall who is probably the main reason for the phenomenal start to the season and was the foundation behind our team is proably on an uncomfortable average. I would reccomend him to very team in the league but think it is very unlikely he will be back at edinburgh

Sam, Justin and Max are all brilliant propspects who have had great seasons, would have them all back in a second but we can only do that if cookie moves on

Ironically Aaron who is the only man who arguably hasn't done enough to keep his place has an attractive average and if the club can get assurances on equipment and preparation has a good chance of being back.

Masters on 8.22 would be a number 1 at most other clubs, yet it is not a role I think he is capable of and would IMO find it very hard going leading to his average dropping. Edinburgh have also had great value from Sedgmen and Fricke who have each put over 2 points on their average. They have served their purpose and with Edinburgh not being loyal to riders (not a criticism) at least one from Worrall, Sedgemen, Fricke and Masters will be moved on.

Like you say Fox is worth another punt being on a low average and now having done all the tracks There is also Tabaka on a 6.00 who wasn't needed to replace any under performers mid season and I know of a frustrating German who would represent superb value on 6.19 . No doubt another couple of masterstroke signings will be made!

It used to be good.

But it was "Elite" then!!

Back in the mid 80's when I first watched speedway a second tier heat number 1 would be a reserve in the top tier, that's how strong the BL was then. Edited by Shads

Back in the mid 80's when I first watched speedway a second tier heat number 1 would be a reserve in the top tier, that's how strong the BL was then.

Many second tier teams also had 3 genuine heat leaders back then, that's how strong the then NL was, though not at Glasgow for most of that decade!

Agreed KAOC, Monarchs managed to compensate for reduced reserve strength in the last few months by having 2 No 1s and big hitting in heats 15 and 13 home and away.

Those 4 heats were won 19/5 against both Ipswich and Somerset never mind the 2 successful TRs in the grand final.

Sam took a little while to sort out Armadale but since the Scottish Open win he has been as good as Cookie at home which is well nigh impossible since Craig is the Master of the dale

He can kick on again from 8.22

Agreed KAOC, Monarchs managed to compensate for reduced reserve strength in the last few months by having 2 No 1s and big hitting in heats 15 and 13 home and away.

Those 4 heats were won 19/5 against both Ipswich and Somerset never mind the 2 successful TRs in the grand final.

Sam took a little while to sort out Armadale but since the Scottish Open win he has been as good as Cookie at home which is well nigh impossible since Craig is the Master of the dale

He can kick on again from 8.22

sams had a good seas'n but to improve on 8.22 is a big ask as he could be a number 1 next year where ever he rides,, and he will come up against the likes of danny king simon stead etc but good luck to him as I would like to see him at brough pk in the diamonds race jacket as he would learn a lot riding brough every week which would make him a 9 pointer easy I reckon

Masters on 8.22 would be a number 1 at most other clubs, yet it is not a role I think he is capable of and would IMO find it very hard going leading to his average dropping. Edinburgh have also had great value from Sedgmen and Fricke who have each put over 2 points on their average. They have served their purpose and with Edinburgh not being loyal to riders (not a criticism) at least one from Worrall, Sedgemen, Fricke and Masters will be moved on.

Like you say Fox is worth another punt being on a low average and now having done all the tracks There is also Tabaka on a 6.00 who wasn't needed to replace any under performers mid season and I know of a frustrating German who would represent superb value on 6.19 . No doubt another couple of masterstroke signings will be made!

Couldn't disagree more Sam has been like a number 1 for the 2nd half of the season. He won the monarchs Facebook rider of the year and whatever team get him next year will be lucky, he has been amazing to watch since he won the Scottish open. He is also a man possessed when chasing, just about took out his own team mates to win the open.

Could monarchs use 4 of the top 5 with 3x3 point riders. That top 4 have almost won some meetings single handed when Stevie missed the end of the season against the best in the league. just need one of the 3 pointers to kick on

• Like 1