British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

A Format To Suit Fans And Riders

Riders obviously want 1 fixed race night a week over here

Fans do not want this and want to keep the race nights we already have.

But fans want the top riders back. So what can be done to keep both fans and riders happy. How about this

There's only 8 teams in EL next year unless a surprise comes out of the AGM in a few weeks so maybe there is a way to have 1 home match and 1 away match every other week while keeping ur own race night

for example

So for example: week 1

Mon- belle vue - poole

Wolves- swindon

Wed - kings lynn - leicester

Fri - coventry - lakeside

Week 2

Wed -poole - wolves

Thur - swindon - aces

Leicester - coventry

Fri lakeside - kings lynn

and then so on and so on. Would this work. Or am I just being a complete tool and missing something obvious????

But fans want the top riders back. So what can be done to keep both fans and riders happy. How about this

There's only 8 teams in EL next year unless a surprise comes out of the AGM in a few weeks so maybe there is a way to have 1 home match and 1 away match every other week while keeping ur own race night

for example

So for example: week 1

Mon- belle vue - poole

Wolves- swindon

Wed - kings lynn - leicester

Fri - coventry - lakeside

Week 2

Wed -poole - wolves

Thur - swindon - aces

Leicester - coventry

Fri lakeside - kings lynn

and then so on and so on. Would this work. Or am I just being a complete tool and missing something obvious????

Isn't Saturday Leicester's race night?

Isn't Saturday Leicester's race night?

a

Well Yeh. But weekend is no good for speedway with more and more international meetings so they mah move to Thursday. But saturday and Thursday work for leicester

Saturday has always suited the Lions fans as they have a large following of young fans. If they lost the Saturday night slot it would only leave a Friday for the youngster to come along without missing a day off scholl after staying up late. With Friday being Coventry's night that rules that out.

I know for one my 10 year old grandson would miss his speedway, which he loves because after the meeting finishes we still have to travel home 265 or so miles before he can get to bed. If the meeting is delayed it can be 11 p.m before we get out the ground, put my whellchair away and then make it home and that is not on for a 10 year old as he stays at my house at the weekend it is 9.30 or later when he gets up after we have been to watch speedway and you can't send a letter to the teachers saying my son didn't make it yesterday because he was late coming home from speedway, don't think they would buy it somehow.

So if the Lions want to keep all the young fans going along it has either got to be at the weekend FRI/SAT or at an erlier start time, but that will not work either because of folks getting home from work.

So it is either Saturday or nothing if they want to keep the young fans, taht love the sport of speedway, be a shame if they did, because the sport needs these youngsters to make up the fans of the future.

Saturday has always suited the Lions fans as they have a large following of young fans. If they lost the Saturday night slot it would only leave a Friday for the youngster to come along without missing a day off scholl after staying up late. With Friday being Coventry's night that rules that out.

I know for one my 10 year old grandson would miss his speedway, which he loves because after the meeting finishes we still have to travel home 265 or so miles before he can get to bed. If the meeting is delayed it can be 11 p.m before we get out the ground, put my whellchair away and then make it home and that is not on for a 10 year old as he stays at my house at the weekend it is 9.30 or later when he gets up after we have been to watch speedway and you can't send a letter to the teachers saying my son didn't make it yesterday because he was late coming home from speedway, don't think they would buy it somehow.

So if the Lions want to keep all the young fans going along it has either got to be at the weekend FRI/SAT or at an erlier start time, but that will not work either because of folks getting home from work.

So it is either Saturday or nothing if they want to keep the young fans, taht love the sport of speedway, be a shame if they did, because the sport needs these youngsters to make up the fans of the future.

Could you clarify the 265 miles please????

We had the same issue at Swindon years ago. It was always a Saturday night sport at Blunsdon and there was a good crowd of youngsters (who incidentally paid nothing). Then we had to change to a Thursday - there was a massive outcry along the lines of those points you are making but eventually Thursdays were accepted as race night! So the argument holds no water if you want to compete in the EL with the top stars - as they will be competing across Europe!

sorry it should have been 26 miles finger slip

265 miles? :shock: I thought we'd found the U.K's number one 'Furthest to travel for a home meeting' fan. :lol: By the way you can edit your post and change it to 26.

We had the same issue at Swindon years ago. It was always a Saturday night sport at Blunsdon and there was a good crowd of youngsters (who incidentally paid nothing). Then we had to change to a Thursday - there was a massive outcry along the lines of those points you are making but eventually Thursdays were accepted as race night! So the argument holds no water if you want to compete in the EL with the top stars - as they will be competing across Europe!

There are fans I know who never took to Thursday nights with their kids going to school the next day & although those kids are now adults the habit of going was broken for both father & son.

I wonder how you determined that fans didn't want this...Crowds have been tumbling whilst clubs hold on to the race nights they currently have, so why do you think that fans want to keep these nights?
  • Like 1

I wonder how you determined that fans didn't want this...Crowds have been tumbling whilst clubs hold on to the race nights they currently have, so why do you think that fans want to keep these nights?

80% of fans do not want fixed race nights

Which 80% have you surveyed??

Got a link to this survey ?

Got a link to this survey ?

Well no but social media, forums and speedway friends give me a good view on fans opinions

Well no but social media, forums and speedway friends give me a good view on fans opinions

So where did you come up with 80 % ?