British Speedway Forum
mc1874

Idea For The League Cup.

The speedway season at times drags on and competitions drag on. I was thinking for the league cup would a one off meeting for the final at neutral venue say mid July be viable. Say the new Bellevue stadium. Would fans go. Kind of like football fans going to Wembley. Just a thought, but it would certainly make the competition distinct and give it a sense of occasion.

It would obviously mean that the early rounds would need to be done early doors etc, listen I'm a monarchs fan and I loved this season. But broadly speaking would this change be workable.

Make the final in the summer when the weather is normally good and speedway stops for the best part of a month .

The speedway season at times drags on and competitions drag on. I was thinking for the league cup would a one off meeting for the final at neutral venue say mid July be viable. Say the new Bellevue stadium. Would fans go. Kind of like football fans going to Wembley. Just a thought, but it would certainly make the competition distinct and give it a sense of occasion.

It would obviously mean that the early rounds would need to be done early doors etc, listen I'm a monarchs fan and I loved this season. But broadly speaking would this change be workable.

What would be any financial success be to either of the clubs in the final? Surely there wouldn't be any if it's ran on a neutral track? Who'd pay the points money/stadium rent/Refs fees/medical cover etc., etc. It might be OK for the likes of the Fours and Pairs (BSPA Events), where there a lot of teams involved, but with just 2 clubs involved it makes the League Cup idea a virtual non-starter, for me.

Agree scrap it. Have one friendly to start the season to knock the cobwebs off and then straight on with the league. Have a break half way through the season to run KO cup, 4's, pairs etc and then on with the season

a no it may sound crazy, but could the League Cup not be run like the F A Cup in football ???,,, all 3 league's drawn out of a hat, 1 tie, home or away,,, it might be a money spinner for some poorer club's and might generate some interest, say like Kings Lynn away at Mildenhall,,, just a thought :-)

a no it may sound crazy, but could the League Cup not be run like the F A Cup in football ???,,, all 3 league's drawn out of a hat, 1 tie, home or away,,, it might be a money spinner for some poorer club's and might generate some interest, say like Kings Lynn away at Mildenhall,,, just a thought :-)

And how many would turn up to, say, Wolverhampton (EL) at home to Scunthorpe Stags (NL side)??

And how many would turn up to, say, Wolverhampton (EL) at home to Scunthorpe Stags (NL side)??

Maybe not , but the inter league cup ran in the early nineties , where the lower league team had guaranteed home advantage , was great entertainment

Maybe not , but the inter league cup ran in the early nineties , where the lower league team had guaranteed home advantage , was great entertainment

Agree with you Paul. Diamonds got Belle Vue in 1992, losing 39-51, but we had to go with R/R for Scott Norman. I think Glasgow got Reading, did they not, with Todd Wiltshire, David Mullett, Ray Morton et al?

The other thing is, as to the 3 leagues all in a hat suggestion, is the arguments as to who would ride for which club, with all the doubling up/down/sideways/diagonally! It makes the whole idea a non-starter.

dunno,,, but they could share the gate money, or pay them an average points money, (elite league riders, ride for less, and national league get more, and so on),,, if the 'superstars' don't wanna be involved for less money, tell them to get on their bike, literally,,, something's gotta change, according to some folk :-)

you could call it the 'BSPA Super-cup',,, or summit,,, all the riders involved would be on equal points money, if some don't want to represent their club,,, then we will all know who not to invite back to ride for us again :-(

Edited by ruffdiamond

A CUP FOR THE LEAGUE.

Start the league on 1st April, meet each other home & away twice in the season,

THE TEAM WITH THE MOST POINTS, WINS THE CUP

scrap the cup and maybe bring back regional four team tournament and a final

• Like 2

Make the league table the qualifier for the 4TT?

Top of the table wins the title, top 8 teams go to the fours?

Now that is a decent idea.