British Speedway Forum
Robinh88

Who Is The Best Pl Number One Ever?

Zetterstrom and Topinka great riders in their day. Zorro in particular.

Has to be Joe Owen he had it all and was the greatest I have seen at Newcastle in 40 years since I started going in 75. Takes some doing being the best Newcastle rider mind you with some of the riders we have had down the years. Barring that major injury he would have been one of the top riders in he world without a doubt and to come back from that and to still be a magnificent rider says everything about his skill and determination. I know I won't see anyone better again at Brough that's for sure.

• Like 5

Has to be Joe Owen he had it all and was the greatest I have seen at Newcastle in 40 years since I started going in 75. Takes some doing being the best Newcastle rider mind you with some of the riders we have had down the years. Barring that major injury he would have been one of the top riders in he world without a doubt and to come back from that and to still be a magnificent rider says everything about his skill and determination. I know I won't see anyone better again at Brough that's for sure.

He was one of the most complete riders that i have ever seen and a pleasure to watch hard but fair but I always say just a little too brave for his own good .One of those riders I could watch all day sheer class and riders like Joe are what is missing from the sport today IMO.

• Like 3

Been a Hull fan and rivals of Sheffield I had to have an obvious dislike for the guy but Sean Wilson has to be up there.

Sean Wilson, peter Carr, Shane Parker, there's been some class riders but it has to be Stoney, not only was he the best rider in the league he boasted a heavy average riding a home track with less of a home advantage than others mentioned. Also he didnt just go in the gp to name the numbers up, he competed especially in the 1dt 2seaons which put Workington & the PL on the map

For me Hunter was the best number one I ever saw at Cleveland Park, his one year he was incredible - 1990 I think...the year Poole beat us to everything...sure he averaged over 10 or if not very close.

Chewbacca, well Rod Hunter was Newcastle's No 1 in 1989, so obviously you don't regard the Diamonds as a big club ;)

All the best

Rob

I think he was better in 1982 and 1983, amazing. Also one of my favourite riders, great to watch and entertaining, not in the same league as Joe Owen but still an outstanding rider of his era and one of the best riders seen at Brough over the years.

Year..Club..Meetings..Rides..Points..Bonus..Average..Maximums

1982..Newcastle..40..198..473..28..10.12..5F..3P

1983..Newcastle..40..217..548..22..10.51..7F..6P

1990..Middlesbro'..40..205..486..23..9.93..8F..2P (still a great achievement as I believe he was in his 30's at this point).

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/1355

Edited by diamond@heart
  • Like 1

I remember when Pip Lamb beat him at Oxford Pip celebrated like he was World Champion. Joe being the great man he was acknowledged he'd been beaten by a young upstart having the ride of his life. Great memories saddened by the fact they're both disabled now.
  • Like 1

Phil Crump.

Absolutely magnificent with an 11+ average and 25 maximums in Crewe Kings' double winning year of 1972.