British Speedway Forum
Robinh88

Who Is The Best Pl Number One Ever?

I see Craig Cook mentioned... Not in the same class as the majority of other riders mentioned! He is very good, but when you think riders like Wilson, stoney, Watson, schott, Carr, shields all rode in the league at the same time, I think it demonstrates how much stronger it was in the late 90's than it is now and how much tougher it was to stand out.

I confess to being a Sheffield supporter and so am slightly biased, but Wilson and Stoney stand out to me for being 10 point riders with longevity over a number of seasons.

Edited by Cue Ball

Cooks gotta be up there to be fair, 2013 espiecially as much as i dislike him

In the early 00s you had about 25 riders who were top dogs at the same time in one league - we had wato smart and henriksson one year all on 9+, and that year with iversen.

Class days and as much as the pl is still mega competitive - you cant beat the late 90s early 2000s.

• Like 3

Ted Hubbard, Brian Foote

• Like 1

Mark Loram, Andy Galvin, Steve Schofield

Adrian Rymel 2008. he was class even scored 14 at Edinburgh!!!!

Why did you leave us Adrian?????? and come back not half the rider

When I was younger I only watched speedway at Exeter, the only away tracks I ever went too was either poole or Weymouth, but mostly just Exeter.

I have a very distorted memory of most of the riders as ones I remember being fantastic on the Exeter track were often useless elsewhere, and vica versa

Sometimes though, quality shines through, and there were some riders who adapted to the Exeter track just as brilliantly as they did any other track

The best I remember were Phil Crump, Steve Schofield, Martin Yeates, Stan Bear, Gordon Kennett, but the best of the lot and bias as he rode for my beloved Exeter was Steve Regeling

Including the old 2nd division,has to be Phil Crump!!