British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

How cold was it trackside??

EXTREMELY ... it was actually warmer outside. The whole Doyle episode was very confusing. He clearly did move before the green light went out but it wasn't referee Jim Lawrence's intention to exclude him, only issue a warning. Something got lost in the communication to the pits and Jury President Tony Steele later apologised to the Aussie. I have a direct walkie-talkie link to the referee (via FIM SGP Secretary Graham Brodie, who sits next to him) and the race director and with all the noise reverberating around the stadium could barely hear a thing that was being said.

It is the FIM who are responsible for testing equipment such as starting gate, lights etc (nothing to do with BSI) which was carried out numerous times during the day and again before the meeting. Somehow the gremlins got in but whether there it was due to the cold is conjecture.

EXTREMELY ... it was actually warmer outside. The whole Doyle episode was very confusing. He clearly did move before the green light went out but it wasn't referee Jim Lawrence's intention to exclude him, only issue a warning. Something got lost in the communication to the pits and Jury President Tony Steele later apologised to the Aussie. I have a direct walkie-talkie link to the referee (via FIM SGP Secretary Graham Brodie, who sits next to him) and the race director and with all the noise reverberating around the stadium could barely hear a thing that was being said.

It is the FIM who are responsible for testing equipment such as starting gate, lights etc (nothing to do with BSI) which was carried out numerous times during the day and again before the meeting. Somehow the gremlins got in but whether there it was due to the cold is conjecture.

The inside post was leaning towards the track from the first test that I saw, after riders presentation before heat one. It was the first test that I saw since I did not stand trackside all day. Just POSSIBLY it created enough friction and every test was a step in the "wrong" direction?

Regarding other things, I have not seen every of the 180'sh GP's. But having today gone through my pics I noticed/thought that never before I've seen a GP so full of commercials. There were some, but not a lot of the speedwaygp.com adverts on the fence, practically all the canvases that were covering the top rows in stands were sold... I tried to do the match just how much money was invested in the TG wins banners around the stadium, but just felt bad the more I thought about it...

Yes, but who is responsible for providing the equipment (and the spares)? All very well testing, but if there's something wrong with it that causes it to fail prematurely, that surely is down to the suppliers.

The stuff about walkie talkies also made me chuckle. Didn't they go out with the Vietnam War?

You know, it's also very loud at a Formula 1 race, but they have radios with headphones so the officials can communicate with each other. And there's even this amazing technology called SMS that teenagers use - you might have heard of it? LOL

• Like 1

The inside post was leaning towards the track from the first test that I saw, after riders presentation before heat one. It was the first test that I saw since I did not stand trackside all day. Just POSSIBLY it created enough friction and every test was a step in the "wrong" direction?

Why wasn't this picked up and rectified ? Seems the whole show was run by a bunch of unprofessional clowns.

Edited by Starman2006

Can't be bothered to trawl right thro this but re Doyle's exclusion did I read somewhere that the exclusion lights were not working and the phone link from ref box to pits was also not working. If that's the case it would explain the very long delay before Doyle was informed of the decision and Nicki asking Phil Morris why he hadn't been when riders had been told no leniency would be shown.

If the above is correct it's just adding more fuel to the fire that the organisers/BSI/FIM were negligent in not testing equipment before the event.

Apologies if I dreamt the whole thing but have been suffering with flu this week so hallucinations are possible :P

No you didn't dream it SL. I'm certain I heard something similar. :t:

Hope that you are feeling better now. :) :)

Yes, but who is responsible for providing the equipment (and the spares)? All very well testing, but if there's something wrong with it that causes it to fail prematurely, that surely is down to the suppliers.

The stuff about walkie talkies also made me chuckle. Didn't they go out with the Vietnam War?

You know, it's also very loud at a Formula 1 race, but they have radios with headphones so the officials can communicate with each other. And there's even this amazing technology called SMS that teenagers use - you might have heard of it? LOL

The more he say's the worse he makes it all sound.............professional it isn't.They book a stadium with a large capacity,blow their own horn about it and then get caught out because the fans make noise!!!! Guess they were all expecting them to sit still as if the were in the Opera.And like I said before worse than this laughable situation with the noise,get caught with their pants down when things go ** up as if it has never happened to them before......amateur hour or 3

Edited by iris123

My comment was in jest.

Trees used the fact she could see tracks as some kind of damning evidence. You see tracks on pretty much every speedway track!

You obviously haven't seen the picture!

Comedy gold that. :rofl::rofl: :rofl:

If the referee didn't exclude him, why didn't he ensure he was back in the race before proceeding? Quite odd

• Like 6

If the referee didn't exclude him, why didn't he ensure he was back in the race before proceeding? Quite odd

Which also sums up how pathetic the officiating was, despite the attempted exoneration in the Spar.

I would accept that so many things went wrong that the officials may have become overloaded in their rational decision making capability (it's a well understood phenomena), but it merely highlights the pathetic underlying organisation that caused all the problems.

• Like 1

Walkie talkies ... two way radios ... what's the difference? We do have radios with headphones but I'm sorry if I confused you by calling them walkie-talkies.

Do you seriously think it would be better if officials sent text messages to each other?

Lights, starting gates, etc., supplied by SpeedSport.

Well all I can say now a week on that in words of D Ream Things Can Only Get Better or possibly not which ever maybe the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTWm0s7ZwDY

Or maybe the song by The Firm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3k_CgzdR2s&spfreload=10

All to do with thoses pesky klingons on the starboard bow.

Now all together sing.

Star Trekkin' across the universe,

On the Starship Enterprise under Captain Kirk.

Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse.

Lt. Uhura, report.

There's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow;

there's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, Jim.

Analysis, Mr. Spock.

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it; it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, Captain.

Boldly going forward, still can't find reverse.

Medical update, Dr. McCoy.

It's worse than that, he's dead, Jim, dead, Jim, dead, Jim;

it's worse than that, he's dead, Jim, dead, Jim, dead.

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it; it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, Captain.

Starship Captain, James T. Kirk:

Ah! We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill;

we come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, men.

Well, it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it; it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, Captain.

there's Klingons on the starboard bow, scrape 'em off, Jim.

Boldly going forward, and things are getting worse!

Engine room, Mr. Scott:

Ye cannae change the laws of physics, laws of physics, laws of physics;

ye cannae change the laws of physics, laws of physics, Jim.

Ah! We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill;

we come in peace, shoot to kill; Scotty, beam me up!

Well, it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it; it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, Captain.

there's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow Jim!

You can not change the strength Jim of the engines.

It's worse than that, it's physics, Jim.

Bridge to engine room, warp factor 9.

Och, if I give it any more she'll blow, Cap'n!

Red Alert Red Alert

Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse.

Boldly going forward, still can't find reverse.

I used to love that record. Oh, and Nellie the Elephant.. :rofl:

Edited by Starman2006