British Speedway Forum
customhouseregular

Tracks Of Yesteryear

I totally agree with you BOBBATH.

The Forum would be a much poorer place without Norbold's input - and yours too for that matter.

• Like 1

Unbelievable as it may sound Norbold gives his opinion of who were the best riders in the 1950's yet never saw a race during that period. You could not make it up could you!

I never saw Tom Farndon ride but I'm certain that he was one of the finest speedway riders the world has ever seen. He would have turned 40 in 1950 and if he had survived and kept riding there is every chance that he would still have made Norbold’s top 20. Yes, he was that good!

Edited by Split
  • Like 1

Most missed - Hyde Road , may the new Belle Vue track come close . Coatbridge - you just don't get banking like that anymore .

I never saw Tom Farndon ride but I'm certain that he was one of the finest speedway riders the world has ever seen. He would have turned 40 in 1950 and if he had survived and kept riding there is every chance that he would still have made Norbold’s top 20. Yes, he was that good!

Sadly I never saw Peter Craven race but that does not stop me knowing for certain he was one of the greats. Keep up the good work Norbold...you probably know more than most of us put together.

• Like 2

The last world champion I never saw ride was Knutsson (one S or two). I saw fundin ride in his last season for wembley in 1970, does anyone remember the boos at the world team cup final!

As I saw all the riders in the 1950's I would rank Freddie Williams top and Peter Craven second Freddie Williams won two world titles and once runner up compared to Peter Craven's one win and one third. So in terms of achievement Freddie Williams should be top.

Williams's wins were on his home track - I wonder if he would have won two titles elsewhere?

Williams's wins were on his home track - I wonder if he would have won two titles elsewhere?

You can only ride where the Event is held. Fortunately for Freddie it was on his own Track. To me that doesn't lessen his achievements one little bit.

A great World Champion and he was a great man too.

Two World Champions who would not have won had the Final been held elsewhere...Muller and Sczackiel.

• Like 1

Two World Champions who would not have won had the Final been held elsewhere...Muller and Sczackiel.

Very good point.

And they would never have won the title with the present Grand Prix format!

And they would never have won the title with the present Grand Prix format!

I'm not to sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. The beauty of the old system was an unexpected result could occur and more riders had an opportunity to reach the Final. The GP system is too much of a closed shop for me.

• Like 1

I'm not to sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. The beauty of the old system was an unexpected result could occur and more riders had an opportunity to reach the Final. The GP system is too much of a closed shop for me.

The fact is that Müller and Sczackiel. were not in the class of many fine riders who never won the title. Spilt Waterman, Jack Parker and Igor Plechanov come to mind but there are several others.

Spot on Split (that does not sound right)...the speedway archives are full of great riders who never won the title, and a smattering of lucky ones that did. My main bone of contention is now, at the beginning of each season, you know the next WC is going to be 1 of 15 riders. Under the old system we started the year's qualifying rounds with a large pool of riders and the unexpected could happen.

re great riders who never won the title...add Harrfeldt and Nordin (2 of my personal favourites).

Going back to the topic of tracks of yesteryear, I've seen speedway racing at both Wembley Stadium (London) and Wembley Stadium (Johannesburg). The teams at both venues were known as the Lions although league racing in South Africa ceased years ago.