British Speedway Forum
daveallan81

The Invisible Men Of 1978

Now at the business end of my 1978 season research, I'm hoping to plug some gaps in the list of non-riding and non-reported number 8's and meeting reserves. The list is far too long to post directly, so it's been uploaded here https://www.dropbox.com/s/gytjp02lzpj15kq/1978REQD_number8s%26reserves.pdf?dl=0

List is in club order. If anyone can provide information I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edited by daveallan81

For the Reading ones:

10/4 none named - I'd guess Underwood and Gledhill were reserves for all four teams and then simply allocated to the first teams that needed reserves

11/5 Bob Humphreys and Ian Glledhill (per blank programme)

19/6 as for 10/4. Note Humphreys rode for Bristol in the match but then started in the Poole heat of the 'Victor Ludicrous'

4/9 Henryk Glucklich (he did ride in 2nd half)

16/10 Kevin Bowen - named in programme

also:

Belle Vue 10/6 Andy Heyes - per blank programme (also programmed to ride for BV in Scot Junior Lge match in 2nd half) 3/7 meeting cpostponed

Birm 29/3Stuat Mountford (100% certain), 17/4 & 8/5 Andy Grahame (named in prog) 15/5 Grahame & Mountford (named in prog) 30/10 Grahame & Mick Blaynee (named in prog)

Boston 15/10 filled in prog has no P'boro reserve named

Bristol 14/7 Derek Hole, Les Rumsey, Graham Jones (named in prog)

Cradley 29/7 not named in filled in programme I have

Crayford 19/9 Tony Featherstone, Richard Davey, John Hooper, Tony Garrad (named in prog)

Hackney 4/8 Ian Gledhill (100% certain)

Bristol 14/7 - I make the Exeter team 1. Autrey 2. Rumsey 3. Prinsloo 4. Koppe. Who did Rumsey replace?

Thanks for all that info, much appreciated.

Bristol 14/7 - I make the Exeter team 1. Autrey 2. Rumsey 3. Prinsloo 4. Koppe. Who did Rumsey replace?

Thanks for all that info, much appreciated.

Mike Farrell programmed at no 2

07/04 Bristol - Tony Garrad

10/09 Eastbourne - Mark Harris

15/05 Exeter - 17 Reidar Eide, 18 Bob Watts

01/06 Exeter - D Mortiboys

05/06 Exeter - Flatman rode in S/H

03/07 Exeter - Bob Watts

11/09 Exeter - Bob Watts

13/10 Exeter - Kevin Lock

04/08 Hackney - Ian Gledhill

13/10 Hackney - C Ackroyd

11/04 Leicester - Tony Garrad

16/10 Reading - Kevin Bowen

12/09 Weymouth - Mark Lynch

10/09 Eastbourne - Mark Harris

15/05 Exeter - 17 Reidar Eide, 18 Bob Watts

01/06 Exeter - D Mortiboys

13/10 Hackney - C Ackroyd

10/09 That also answers another query concerning Mr. Harris' forename!

15/05 Bob Watts appears to ride in the #16 position - who did he replace? Can you say if he's been promoted to #17 or remained at #18?

01/06 Is this taken from a marked programme? Mortiboys doesn't appear to ride in the second half which I find a bit strange. If programme is marked, can you provide the 2nd half times, I know someone who would greatly appreciate them.

13/10 Ackroyd appears to be in the team at #7.

Thanks for your help.

15/05 No.16 Bob Coles

01/06 Taken from marked programme. Only 2nd half details are Mortiboys in Y/B race 14 in place of Molyneux & Gugliemi Y/B race 15. Sorry no scores etc

13/10 you are correct, was at 8, but Eric Dugard dnr. No other riders in second half!

Taken from completed programmes;

Mildenhall 24/09/78 - Newcastle No8 was David Bargh.

Newcastle 24/04/78 - Newcastle No8 was Robert Maxfield.
Newcastle 22/05/78 - Newcastle reserve was Kenny Carter. Teesside reserve was Martin Dixon.

Newcastle 12/06/78 - Newcastle No8 was Nigel Crabtree.

Teesside 25/05/78 - Workington reserve was Andy Margarson. No reserve programmed for Ellesmere Port.

Taken from completed programmes;

Newcastle 22/05/78 - Newcastle reserve was Kenny Carter. Teesside reserve was Martin Dixon.

Teesside 25/05/78 - Workington reserve was Andy Margarson. No reserve programmed for Ellesmere Port.

22/05 Can you confirm Louis Carr's score in heat 13? Speedway Star reports (ef, 1pt), pushed home perhaps.

25/05 I have Margarson at position 2 for Workington - who did he replace?

The Teesside meeting works out as Ellesmere v Newcastle v Workington v Teesside but it seems strange that the home team are in position 4 in the line-up. Can you clarify this for me?

Many thanks.

The programme only shows Louis Carr has having finished in third place. Given the Speedway Star entry he probably pushed home.

Margarson took all of the four rides of Arthur Price. The programmed team was Brian Havelock, Price, Robert Maxfield, Ian Hindle and Margarson. John Robson took Maxfield's rides. On checking the programme further Neil Collins rode in the Reserves' Scurry therefore he must have been the Ellesmere Port reserve.

The home team were programmed at number 4 in the line-up but I don't know why.

The programme only shows Louis Carr has having finished in third place. Given the Speedway Star entry he probably pushed home.

Margarson took all of the four rides of Arthur Price. The programmed team was Brian Havelock, Price, Robert Maxfield, Ian Hindle and Margarson. John Robson took Maxfield's rides. On checking the programme further Neil Collins rode in the Reserves' Scurry therefore he must have been the Ellesmere Port reserve.

Crikey - Brian Havelock and John Robson - that brings back memories here in Sunderland. :t::approve: :approve:

Excellent, thank you.

15/09 (Bristol v Hull) Hull 8: Nigel Crabtree

29/10 (Ellesmere Port v Belle Vue v Cradley v Hull) Ellesmere Port reserve was programmed as Pete Ellams but he moved into the team to replace John Jackson, no reserve added to the programme. Hull reserve - no one added to the programme. The reserves race had Robert Craven added to the three programmed riders, assume that he would have been the Ellesmere Port or Hull reserve if required.

07/10 (Halifax v Hull) Hull 8: Paul Wood

28/10 (Halifax v Belle Vue v Hull v Sheffield) Meeting reserves: Halifax - Klaus Lohmann was programmed but moved into the Belle Vue team to replace Uno Johansson, no reserve added to the programme. Belle Vue - Peter Wilson was programmed but he was replaced in the reserves race by Mick Warren. Sheffield - Paul Wood. Hull - Alan Stansfield.

01/06 (Ipswich v Hull) Ipswich 8: Nigel Flatman

09/10 (Newcastle v Hull) Hull 8: Dave Bargh

30/10 (Newcastle v Belle Vue v Hull v Reg Wilson Select) Meeting reserves: None added to the programme and there was no reserves race in the second half

28/09 (Sheffield v Hull) Hull 8: Alan Armstrong

19/10 (Sheffield v Halifax v Hull v Leicester) Meeting reserves: Sheffield - Neil Collins, Halifax - Phil White, Hull - Paul Greenaway, Leicester - Phil Hollingworth. All four were programmed but none rode in the meeting and there was no second half reserves race.

06/10 (Workington v Hull v Newcastle v v Sheffield) Reserves: Hull - Mick Newton, Newcastle - Andy Margarson, Sheffield - Les Race. None of the three programmed rode in the match and there was no second half reserves race.

22/06 (Wimbledon v Hull) Wimbledon 8: Graeme Stapleton

22/07 (Swindon v Hull) Hull 8: Dave Bargh

07/07 (Wolverhampton v Hull) Hull 8: None added to the programme but could have been Stephen Barr who had two second half rides.

• Like 1