British Speedway Forum
Skidder1

Bspa Meeting With Ukv&i?

yes we have one at Boro - Patrick Bamford - he's fantastic but whether he ever gets a chance at Chelsea.....

in one way i hope he doesn't and gets to stay with us

in the PL of course!

I see football has announced plans to restrict the number of non EU players.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32024808

Can't help but wonder if this is part of the same issue being dressed up as an FA decision.

It makes me laugh when they use the excuse about having a competitive national team, all the while forgetting to mention that England have been rubbishe for nearly 50 years.

It makes me laugh when they use the excuse about having a competitive national team, all the while forgetting to mention that England have been rubbishe for nearly 50 years.

Excluding of course the Robson days with Shearer and Bryan Robson, so it's not true.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

Excluding of course the Robson days with Shearer and Bryan Robson, so it's not true.

but still nowt to show for it :-(

though neither bryan Robson or Shearer ever made a world cup semi final.

I don't think it's fair to say England are rubbish, but they are a tenth in the world type side, not world beaters, and that has been the case pretty much my whole lifetime.

I don't think it's fair to say England are rubbish, but they are a tenth in the world type side, not world beaters, and that has been the case pretty much my whole lifetime.

England are normally poo at most sports,,, apart from 'pub sports' like darts, snooker, or skittles,,, a wonder why, lol

That of course was my point, instead of making a sweeping statement like MattK did. With Beardsley, Adams, Liniker, Gazza, Shearer, Robson, etc, we had decent players, and we were unlucky with penalty shootouts, 'hand of god', etc. We kept missing out at the final hurdle, despite being unlucky through things like Bryan Robson's shoulder probs in Mexico ? Compare that era/s with our current position and we were in the running then.

• Like 2

That of course was my point, instead of making a sweeping statement like MattK did. With Beardsley, Adams, Liniker, Gazza, Shearer, Robson, etc, we had decent players, and we were unlucky with penalty shootouts, 'hand of god', etc. We kept missing out at the final hurdle, despite being unlucky through things like Bryan Robson's shoulder probs in Mexico ? Compare that era/s with our current position and we were in the running then.

Despite all those players, the best we achieved was one semi final.

However, the point I am making is that England have qualified for the last five WCs, despite foreigners "flooding" the leagues and qualification being arguably harder now than in the 70s, when there were less foreigners in the England leagues AND we failed to make the WC finals twice.

The suggestion that limiting foreigners will improve English standards has no foundation in fact.

You could be right, though apart from Daniel Sturridge who has failed to make it at Chelsea but has gone to another PL club and been a regular first team player in the first team.

Sturridge went to the Manchester City academy, not that it makes much difference, as he didn't really get a go there either.

Although Shearer never played under Robson for England and amazingly a talent like Bryan Robson was never even capped (The White Knight should hopefully understand that one).

But despite being pedantic (apologies ... it's late !!!) I understand the point you are making

• Like 2

don't get me started on this....if you could see the way young boys are coached you would understand why we are stuck at a certain level.

Having been involved with youth coaching i've seen it - at 7/8 they look for big strong boys who can hoof it and run fast. With some elite clubs kids are turfed out at will in favour of other boys poached from other clubs - the 'legendary' Wallsend Boys Club being one of the worst offenders.

As kids age they gradually fall away from the game to the extent that U18 and U21 teams are becoming rarer and rarer.

Despite all those players, the best we achieved was one semi final.

However, the point I am making is that England have qualified for the last five WCs, despite foreigners "flooding" the leagues and qualification being arguably harder now than in the 70s, when there were less foreigners in the England leagues AND we failed to make the WC finals twice.

The suggestion that limiting foreigners will improve English standards has no foundation in fact.

Disagree. Foreign players come across here and also get better. If say 60% of the total players are foreign, I would suggest that our 40% suffer, as opposed to say 20% foreign therefore giving British lads the places and opportunity, to also get better as a natural progression. One only has to compare the analogy with the lack of decent British speedway riders, whilst the number of foreign riders increased in our leagues. More places and opportunities for Brit riders or players will produce a bigger and better pool at the end.

Although Shearer never played under Robson for England and amazingly a talent like Bryan Robson was never even capped (The White Knight should hopefully understand that one).

But despite being pedantic (apologies ... it's late !!!) I understand the point you are making

I agree. I was thinking more of an overlap of eras with Bobby and those players that I mentioned. :P

don't get me started on this....if you could see the way young boys are coached you would understand why we are stuck at a certain level.

Having been involved with youth coaching i've seen it - at 7/8 they look for big strong boys who can hoof it and run fast. With some elite clubs kids are turfed out at will in favour of other boys poached from other clubs - the 'legendary' Wallsend Boys Club being one of the worst offenders.

As kids age they gradually fall away from the game to the extent that U18 and U21 teams are becoming rarer and rarer.

spot on!!

Thats how Michael Bridges made it, he was massive for his age...thought footballing ability was light years behind others that didnt.

My brother used to coach at the academy, Alan Irvine ( hoa at the time) had a meeting with him and another coach ( who has the highest coaching badge there is) Irvine had a list if the lads statistics, wanted to get rid of any lads under a certain height etc, they had to fight with him to keep the decent ones... Hed never even seen them play..

Keegan released all the yts lads, and kept on only 2, one whod broken his leg and another who had a schoolboy contract, Keegan told him on a friday that if he hadnt had a schoolboy contract hed have been out the door aswell. The lad ( paul Barrett, had just played for and i think captained England schoolboys on the previous wednesday!!

Years ago boysclubs could only sign local lads within a 5 mile radius, but the cheating that went on to sign lads from further a field was shocking snd that was nearly 30 years ago... There is no radius now i believe, meaning Wallsend etc can get who they want.

We will never produce home grown superstars unless some of the cream at the top is used and implemented at grassroots level...

Football as a youngster is if your face fits and always has been.

• Like 1

Football as a youngster is if your face fits and always has been.

Isn't that life at any age, sadly?

Edited by SCB

I would say that is less so now...it certainly used to be the case and the fact is that big lads do look good at 7 and 8 and do catch the eye...but I do think that academies and centres of excellence are now looking at abilities rather than just size....my club and also the school team had had players taken from Manchester City, United, Oldham, Fleetwood, Stoke.....and other clubs from the league have gone to other teams and some of them are smaller technical players...so it's changing....they just need a chance to break into first teams eventually.

We played Wallsend Boys Club once in a tournament...I was expecting more from them as they are famous..I was disappointed with them.

• Like 1