British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Riders Gardening At The Tapes

Spot on although it ain't really the messing about at the tapes that is the main culprit for this. Said that for ages now. People aren't going to pay the expensive entrance fees if a meeting starts at 7.30pm and is over by 8pm!! Also think of all the revenue from the bars, snacks, burger vans

etc that will be lost if people were only there for 30 mins or so!!....Its OBVIOUS to anyone with at least half a brain cell that the meetings are dragged out on purpose for longer than really necessary purely because of financial reasons.

I'm certain you would get more people attending if a meeting took 90 minutes rather than 120-150 minutes.

I don'the want meetings rushed through unless there is something after.

• Like 1

I don'the want meetings rushed through unless there is something after.

You mean like a Second Half. :shock: :shock: :t::approve: :approve:

Good. Sky meetings should be all done and dusted within 1.5 hours!!

You mean like a Second Half. :shock: :shock: :t::approve: :approve:

We often have MDL as a second half at Lynn.

I think 90 minutes from tapes up of heat one to chequered flag of heat fifteen is about right if there is a second half for people to stay and watch if they wish. Meetings are dragged out to increase bar takings and while that is fine on a summers evening it's not fair on people if its cold.

• Like 5

We often have MDL as a second half at Lynn.

I think 90 minutes from tapes up of heat one to chequered flag of heat fifteen is about right if there is a second half for people to stay and watch if they wish. Meetings are dragged out to increase bar takings and while that is fine on a summers evening it's not fair on people if its cold.

Precisely. :t::approve: :approve:

what is this sport coming too... not allowed to dismount to do a bit of gardening.... pathetic, bloody pathetic.

The sport is dying a slow painful death IMO and the powers to be come up with this... :rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rolleyes: bloody muppetts.

The riders who waste time at the start of the race digging up the track like chickens are the real muppets.

These antics do not exhibit a professional presentation to the general public at the start of the race.

If a rider dismounts to concentrate on digging up the track surface or filling in ruts then can it be said that he is fully in control of his machine ?

The riders who waste time at the start of the race digging up the track like chickens are the real muppets.

they are not the ones wasting time.... that i'm afraid is down to the referee...

These antics do not exhibit a professional presentation to the general public at the start of the race.

so what exhibits professionalism to you... it's part of the speedway set up for as long as i can remember.

If a rider dismounts to concentrate on digging up the track surface or filling in ruts then can it be said that he is fully in control of his machine ?

tell me how many riders have lost control of their machine over the last 20 years whilst preparing their starting gate..?

• Like 2

they are not the ones wasting time.... that i'm afraid is down to the referee...

so what exhibits professionalism to you... it's part of the speedway set up for as long as i can remember.

tell me how many riders have lost control of their machine over the last 20 years whilst preparing their starting gate..?

Tai Woffinden certainly was not in control of his machine when he was running around with a shovel. :D :D :D:P

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

I think the timer clocks on the centre green are the way to go and then it's up to the ref to time the meeting. As long as they allow time for track grading and time for riders to do a celebratory lap then I'll be happy :-)

• Like 1

1. If the riders came up to the start line well within the two minutes ready to race then they would not be wasting time.

2. Gardening is not part of the speedway set up. There were clearly issues to be resolved hence the proposed action by the SCB (probably in consultation with the BSPA). We have not seen the revised wording yet - let's wait and see how the new rules operate in practice.

3. Suggest you refer this one to the Health & Safety Executive for a Risk assessment. :lol:

Tai Woffinden certainly was not in control of his machine when he was running around with a shovel. :D :D :D:P

Don't sit on the fence - call a spade a spade!! :D

• Like 2

On the National Speedway Museum website John Chaplin, the renowned Speedway historian, has this to say about Gardening at the Gate : " ...the

irritating and time-consuming habit of riders digging grooves in the track surface at the starting line with the object of creating a launch pad to

project themselves into the first turn ahead of their rivals. Getting groovy at the gate may bring a feel-good factor to the competitive agenda of

many big-time throttle jockeys, who also use it as a psychological tactic to unsettle opponents alongside.

But it infuriates fans, frustrates starting marshals and television directors and also fearfully annoys referees."

• Like 1

I am sure what JC says is correct, for the very reasons stated. Would be ok if they did it within the 2 minute rule, but its ridiculous the amount of time taken. Time to sort it.

On the National Speedway Museum website John Chaplin, the renowned Speedway historian, has this to say about Gardening at the Gate : " ...the

irritating and time-consuming habit of riders digging grooves in the track surface at the starting line with the object of creating a launch pad to

project themselves into the first turn ahead of their rivals. Getting groovy at the gate may bring a feel-good factor to the competitive agenda of

many big-time throttle jockeys, who also use it as a psychological tactic to unsettle opponents alongside.

But it infuriates fans, frustrates starting marshals and television directors and also fearfully annoys referees."

It's simple. The two minutes go on, and within that 2 minutes the tapes go up. If you're not ready then tough, you're excluded or play catch up using your now wonderfully prepared bit of start gate - not much us if your bike is on it's side as the other enter turn 1 though is it? :D