British Speedway Forum
doners1234

What The Visa Issues Could Mean For Teams.

I'm presuming that this is because the BSPA have ignored the UKBA rules for the past couple of years. The BSPA allowed Somerset to use an Aussie at a lower points limit than the UKBA stated last year IIRC. Weren't the BSPA due to have a meeting with the UKBA about this? It appears that the BSPA were more worried about upsetting Somerset than the UKBA and now UK Speedway is paying the price...

Kurtz doesnt need a work permit - mum, dad, gran on granddad must be British.

the first four on the list all average over 7. Fricke is national u21 champion.

have woodward or north finished top four in a state competition?

The issue is that clubs are not allowed to employ work permit rider as they've been so crap at doing it in the past

That's a bit harsh isn't it? There may not be any on that list who could currently be labelled "world class", but there's one or two youngsters on there that certainly have the potential to be.

I'm not sure the majority on that list "add very little" either. They offer a darn sight more than some of the crap Brits that will have to be shoehorned in to make up the numbers if these guys get refused Visa's!

I do agree however that over the years, far too many overseas riders who were clearly not good enough were given Visa's and team places over here at the expense of Brits of a similar standard, that shouldn't have done.

It's reality. How many work permit footballers do you see in leagues 1 and 2? Work permits are meant to be for top class people, I'm afraid that being PL is not top class. See the hoops even PL clubs have to sign footballers and you realise how easy speedway has had it for years.

And it's OK people saying they're commonwealth, they're our international cousins etc, you have the rise of UKIP to thank ultimately - people wanting clamp down on foreigners, this is the result.

if all this is true,what I don't understand is how did all the riders get in in the past few years ,I'm sure they don't change the criteria every year on visa's.Its meant to be aProfessional Sport but is run by amateurs who think they can do what they warn .It all seems a bit harsh IMO

They may not have changed the criteria, but they've certainly changed the way it is enforced.

From April 2008 until the end of March 2013, visas were processed by the inefficient and much-criticised UK Borders Agency. It was a direct result of the authorities being so lax that speedway clubs got lazy, and (some, only some) didn't keep proper employment records.

The Conservative coalition disbanded this Agency as from April 1st, 2013 and set up the current UK Visas & Immigration and (separate) Immigration Enforcement agencies. There was a noticeable tightening-up of procedures, culminating in speedway getting handed yesterday's news, and the efficiently-run clubs being grouped in, and punished alongside the less-organised others.

One thing not being talked about is the (perhaps-mythical) need for a rider at PL level to achieve a 7-point average. When this was first introduced, CMAs included bonus points. Should there not be a lowering of the barrier, or could bonus points be reintroduced to rolling averages, giving the CMA of a rider involved in a team sport a truer reflection of his worth and abilities?

Edited by Ned Kelly 41
  • Like 1

I'm sure they don't change the criteria every year on visa's.

They do at the moment. There are constantly evolving immigration laws going on, as the government try to keep immigration figures down to get hte UKIP vote.

This is what it's all about, basically. Making things tougher so that figure can be quoted at those who moan about immigrants. Because, like it or not, that is what Australian Speedway Riders are, even if they do have white skin and speak English.

It's tough on riders, but it's even tougher on married couples, many of whom are being kept apart by new immigration rules.

They may not have changed the criteria, but they've certainly changed the way it is enforced.

From April 2008 until the end of March 2013, visas were processed by the inefficient and much-criticised UK Borders Agency. It was a direct result of the authorities being so lax that speedway clubs got lazy, and (some, only some) didn't keep proper employment records.

The Conservative coalition disbanded this Agency as from April 1st, 2013 and set up the current UK Visas & Immigration and (separate) Immigration Enforcement agencies. There was a noticeable tightening-up of procedures, culminating in speedway getting handed yesterday's news, and the efficiently-run clubs being grouped in, and punished alongside the less-organised others.

One thing not being talked about is the (perhaps-mythical) need for a rider at PL level to achieve a 7-point average. When this was first introduced, CMAs included bonus points. Should there not be a lowering of the barrier, or could bonus points be reintroduced to rolling averages, giving the CMA of a rider involved in a team sport a truer reflection of his worth and abilities?

It does look as though the BSPA and the clubs have been caught napping on this matter and taken too much for granted.When you see the immigration situation in this country you have to feel a bit for the riders concerned who technically are not really scrounging of the Goverment unlike others.

As I've pointed out before, from 2001-2004 it was 8 points (5 EL). In 2005 it was dropped to 7 points (4.5 EL) which I suspect is when bonus points were dropped from GSAs.

They do at the moment. There are constantly evolving immigration laws going on, as the government try to keep immigration figures down to get hte UKIP vote.This is what it's all about, basically. Making things tougher so that figure can be quoted at those who moan about immigrants. Because, like it or not, that is what Australian Speedway Riders are, even if they do have white skin and speak English.It's tough on riders, but it's even tougher on married couples, many of whom are being kept apart by new immigration rules.

Fair Point.

Fair Point.

I wonder what Australia's immigrations criteria is on British Subjects going to there Country and working for seven months of the year, then going back home.

Edited by Devildodger

I wonder what Australia's immigrations criteria is on British Subjects going to there Country and working for seven months of the year, then going back home.

Thats their problem,is it not,nothing to do with this thread.

The Aussies threw out English journalists covering the Ashes, mid Tour, for not having the correct visa, hopefully the Ozzie's are just the start.

The Aussies threw out English journalists covering the Ashes, mid Tour, for not having the correct visa, hopefully the Ozzie's are just the start.

incorrect. Their 90 day visas ran out. They tried to apply for an extension but didn't realize they had to leave the country first to do so.

Here's some solid info;

http://scunthorpescorpions.co/?p=2383

Alex "The Thunder" Davies is a Scunny Legend for me already. Just have a read of that letter; super intelligent, well crafted words; clear understanding of his situation, thorough explanation. Clearing wanting to connect with the Scunny fans and looking forward to the new speedway season here. In fact just exactly the sort of person who we should be laying out the Red Carpet to. Never mind sending him and Ryan through a bureaucratic nightmare.

Let me say this; there's nobody at the UKBA better qualified to decided who crosses these shores than ME! if I were on that watch trust me there's none of these terrorist looking types getting past me. But when Alex and Ryan stroll up all they have to say is "G'day mate I'm Ryan and I'm Alex were from Oz" ...so what you here for lads ? ..errr we're professional Speedway Riders ....right lads that's what they all say a couple of Track Terrorists if ever there were two! ....ONLY JOKING LADS NO NEED TO SAY OWT ELSE YER IN!.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 1

For most Australians these days the UK is not their mother country, and I don't see why the descendants of people who chose to leave the country several generations ago should be given special privileges.

There would be a few Australians from way back who would argue about that if they were still alive.

On this issue - I still cannot forget all of the 'Anzacs' who gave their lives for this Country in two World Wars - Gallipoli springs to mind.

• Like 3