British Speedway Forum

With a lot of 2014 MDL & NJL riders moving up to the National League this season, which is fantastic, I just hope there are enough riders left so that we don't see Arthur Scratching riding for Milton Keynes at Castleford one week, then King's Lynn at Castleford the next week, then only to ride for Castleford against one of those teams the next match.

I hope also this year, that clubs programmes leave space in their main programme to accommodate these fixtures, and to leave enough space to make team changes and the like. Some of last years race-charts were so small, it was difficult to write in the spaces.

Huge kudos to the MDL & NJL last year given the amount of riders that have moved up. Just goes to show with the right backing the system works.

Im sure several of the riders will continue for another year as track time is crucial & hopefully there will be more willing to try it out as it has become a proven route into the National League.

I for one feel those that have moved up this year will be better prepared in terms of the expense, travelling time and track knowledge than the few that have popped into the National League with little experience.

There should be riders in the amateur racing set-ups who can move up into the MDL, just as riders move from MDL to NL.

It's more than a matter of just ' moving up'. It's called expense!....you need a licence ,£88 ,a legal silencer £75 second hand, legal guards, £75, and the list goes on.

Most amateurs are just that, they ride on a weekend for fun. It's a different ball game even riding in the MDL or NJL.....time...effort and money required for no earnings.

So don't be surprised if Billy Bloggs does make the odd appearance for more than one team. It shows he is committed!

There is certainly some good riders that ride in the STR and Dragon meetings at King Lynn, which would hold there own in MDL & NJL

It's more than a matter of just ' moving up'. It's called expense!....you need a licence ,£88 ,a legal silencer £75 second hand, legal guards, £75, and the list goes on.

Most amateurs are just that, they ride on a weekend for fun. It's a different ball game even riding in the MDL or NJL.....time...effort and money required for no earnings.

So don't be surprised if Billy Bloggs does make the odd appearance for more than one team. It shows he is committed!

I know all about that; the bike on the left is legal and up to date, and its rider has his licences. While it is true that some of the 'Novice' riders are riding for fun, some of them, and probably all of the 'Support' and 'Open' riders, are trying to progress in speedway, and are looking to 'move up' into the NJL. Our rider (Chris Bambury) says that he will ride for any team which will have him!

Those who ride in most of the open classes are already aligned to a team of some sort, either National or MDL. Even most in the support class lads ride in MDL or NJL.

There isn't a huge pool of riders of the right ability with the right set up ready to move into these leagues .

This is why the NJL have chosen to give the real youth , at 125 cc level, a chance to ride in a competitive league.

However, if you have a rider who you consider right for the MDL or NJL, please ask him to come to Scunthorpe , Redcar or Northside training schools soon where he will be watched and, no doubt, approached, as the NJL are certainly looking for a few riders.

I look forward to seeing Mr. Bambury in action, and anyone else you may consider right for the leagues.

I, or my talent spotters, will be at all their practice sessions.

Those who ride in most of the open classes are already aligned to a team of some sort, either National or MDL. Even most in the support class lads ride in MDL or NJL.

There isn't a huge pool of riders of the right ability with the right set up ready to move into these leagues .

This is why the NJL have chosen to give the real youth , at 125 cc level, a chance to ride in a competitive league.

However, if you have a rider who you consider right for the MDL or NJL, please ask him to come to Scunthorpe , Redcar or Northside training schools soon where he will be watched and, no doubt, approached, as the NJL are certainly looking for a few riders.

I look forward to seeing Mr. Bambury in action, and anyone else you may consider right for the leagues.

I, or my talent spotters, will be at all their practice sessions.

He has been riding in Scunthorpe amateur meetings, at first in the novice class, then Support when he got too good for that; he won a couple of races last time out.

Northside and Redcar are a bit far for us; we are from Birmingham. I was hoping that Chris could join a Brummies MDL team, although this is still up in the air at the moment, as this is much closer than Scunny!.

There you go then!.

"Ready to ride in any team that will have him"....

But not prepared to travel!

That's what I mean about having the right set up. I fully understand lads , at this level, not wanting to travel too far, that's why they are classed as Amatuers, they are not at the stage of being ready for these leagues if they won't travel. We have matches all over the country and just about any night/ day of the week, so please understand where I am coming from....

There isn't a hugh pool of riders waiting to step into these team places, as you have just proved.

Look at Danny Phillips,Luke Ruddick , Stefan Farnaby and Ryan McDonald, plus others who are travelling hundreds of miles just to get a couple of rides in order to progress in speedway.

That is, unfortunately, the level of dedication that is now required in this sport.

• Like 3

There you go then!.

"Ready to ride in any team that will have him"....

But not prepared to travel!

That's what I mean about having the right set up. I fully understand lads , at this level, not wanting to travel too far, that's why they are classed as Amatuers, they are not at the stage of being ready for these leagues if they won't travel. We have matches all over the country and just about any night/ day of the week, so please understand where I am coming from....

There isn't a hugh pool of riders waiting to step into these team places, as you have just proved.

Look at Danny Phillips,Luke Ruddick , Stefan Farnaby and Ryan McDonald, plus others who are travelling hundreds of miles just to get a couple of rides in order to progress in speedway.

That is, unfortunately, the level of dedication that is now required in this sport.

All of which is true, of course, but the only transport which we have is my car, and most of the cost comes from my pension, so we don't go much further than Scunthorpe, Kings Lynn or Rye House for training or amateur racing. If Chris was to get into a team there would be no problem, except for the effort.