British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
2ndbendbeerhut

Assets - Who "owns" Who?

not really nonsense though is it because if you own contract or have brought the rider through your ranks etc then you can command a loan fee or a transfer fee.

Of course it's nonsense. Where else in the real world can your employer command a transfer or loan fee when you decide to move jobs?

I can accept that a track genuinely developing a rider should derive some compensation when they move on, but many assets are oven-ready foreign riders that a team doesn't really invest much effort in.

Teams don't 'own contracts' anyway - riders are only contracted to the team they actually ride for. Riders get paid nothing merely for the 'privilege' of being on a promotion's asset list. The sooner the system is blown out of the water, the better.

It has had a LOT to do with work permits. It's one of the scams they have been running. Take a work permit rider on loan and rather than pay for a sponsor license yourself as his employer just employ him on his parent clubs license, despite the fact they don't employ him! Marvellous idea but it seems to have upset the UKV&I :D

Nothing to do with asset lists though, unless an asset is claimed as the result of a rider illegally riding for their initial British team. A rider on loan is contracted to the team he's currently riding for, not his parent team - which is in contravention of the work permit criteria unless a new work permit is applied for.

I suppose there's nothing to stop a work permit rider being under actual contract to one team, but loaned to another who compensates the parent team for the cost of the wages. However, I'd guess few promotions are willing to do that as they'd end-up being responsible for any default in the wages.

It strike me though, that many of the problems could be avoided if work permit riders were centrally contracted to the BSPA, and then loaned to member clubs as needed.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 3

Of course it's nonsense. Where else in the real world can your employer command a transfer or loan fee when you decide to move jobs?

I can accept that a track genuinely developing a rider should derive some compensation when they move on, but many assets are oven-ready foreign riders that a team doesn't really invest much effort in.

Teams don't 'own contracts' anyway - riders are only contracted to the team they actually ride for. Riders get paid nothing merely for the 'privilege' of being on a promotion's asset list. The sooner the system is blown out of the water, the better.

Sport is not in the real world though when it comes to contracts just like Football.

The Asset system is flawed I agree, because riders are near enough self employed and free agents at end of every season but at least Asset system gives clubs first choice at least and if rider chooses not too then at least said club can get some money for loaning them to somebody or sell them on.

When a club is put up for sale the asset list is part of it so if I was to invest in a club I would more than likely go for club with a good asset base rather than a club without one or with poor value riders.

Sport is not in the real world though when it comes to contracts just like Football.

Football doesn't have a retain-and-transfer system anymore.

The Asset system is flawed I agree, because riders are near enough self employed and free agents at end of every season but at least Asset system gives clubs first choice at least and if rider chooses not too then at least said club can get some money for loaning them to somebody or sell them on.

Irrelevant. Riders should be free to ride for whom they please when out-of-contract (subject to the points limit or any other rider control mechanisms).

As I said, I think some sort of compensatory system is in order for tracks genuinely developing riders from scratch, but that entitlement should cease after a certain period has elapsed (e.g. when a rider is 21 or in the third year of their career). It should certainly not apply indefinitely.

When a club is put up for sale the asset list is part of it so if I was to invest in a club I would more than likely go for club with a good asset base rather than a club without one or with poor value riders.

Contrary to popular belief, rider assets have no book value, and relatively little in terms of negotiable value nowadays. There's no guarantee that a rider on the books will ever ride for you, or another British team again (which would derive a transfer or loan fe), and there's the ever-present danger that the asset system will be declared illegal.

• Like 1

So, I see,,, proper old can of worm's speedway is, hmmm

Only if you want it to be. :P

Only if you want it to be. :P

A no, is' nt it ???

but it would be good to find out where it all went wrong, or right, lol

Football doesn't have a retain-and-transfer system anymore.

Irrelevant. Riders should be free to ride for whom they please when out-of-contract (subject to the points limit or any other rider control mechanisms).

As I said, I think some sort of compensatory system is in order for tracks genuinely developing riders from scratch, but that entitlement should cease after a certain period has elapsed (e.g. when a rider is 21 or in the third year of their career). It should certainly not apply indefinitely.

Contrary to popular belief, rider assets have no book value, and relatively little in terms of negotiable value nowadays. There's no guarantee that a rider on the books will ever ride for you, or another British team again (which would derive a transfer or loan fe), and there's the ever-present danger that the asset system will be declared illegal.

IN full agreement with you Humphrey! And please don't ask for an editorial ... wrote many on the subject when I was in the Editor's chair but fell on deaf ears then as it would now.

The late John Perrin came close to challenging the system when he signed Jason Crump but didn't want to be the one to open the flood gates. But I am surprised that no rider hasn't actually challenged the notion that he is 'owned' by a track despite not having a valid contract and, in many cases, not for many years.

It is just ridiculas that a club can have so many riders as assets, if a club wanted to really call the shots could they actually stop a rider going to another club, I doubt it very much, Half of the names on the list have not been in a regular team place for the club they are an asset to, it is just stuppid to say that they are an asset to the club until they decide they don't want them any longer then try to make a fast buck out of them as with Jason Doyle with Leicester and Swindon. Swindon haven't wanted his services for years now all of a sudden they want a large amount of money from the Lions

Poole also have Josh Grajczonek on their books.................

RP

There are quite a lot of changes to these line ups, but here are some of them ...

Found a list of assets that was compiled a while ago so thought i'd ask who "belongs" where?

(i'll add the PL later)

Belle Vue
Billy Forsberg
Jason Garrity - RYE HOUSE (soon to be ...... )
Charlie Gjedde
Patrick Hougaard
Lukasz Jankowski
Tomasz Jedrzejak
Kaj Laukkanen
Michal Rajkowski
Richie Worrall
Steve Worrall
Coventry
Oliver Allen = Sold to .. ?
Josh Auty Scunthorpe
Ben Barker
Chris Harris
Ryan Fisher
Jordan Frampton
Greg Hancock
Kyle Hughes
Billy Janniro
Andreas Jonsson
Edward Kennett
Scott Nicholls
Przemyslaw Pawlicki
Adam Roynon
James Sargeant
Rory Schlein Kings Lynn
Filip Sitera - ?
Martin Smolinski
Ricky Wells Wolverhampton
Kings Lynn
Adam Allott
James Brundle
Scott Campos
Shane Colvin
Linus Eklof
Henka Gustafsson
Trevor Harding
Christian Henry ?
Jan Jaros
Lewis Kerr
Jake Knight
Simon Lambert
Henning Loof
Adam Lowe
Grant MacDonald
Norbert Magosi
Jari Makinen
Darren Mallett
Marek Mroz
Rhys Naylor
Tomasz Piszcz
Chris Schramm
Kozza Smith
Thomas Stange
Shaun Tacey
Tomas Topinka
Sebastian Truminski
Shane Waldron
Chris Widman
Casper Wortmann
Couldn't really comment on most of these apart from saying its about £3,000 in total
Rory Schlein
Robert Lambert
Niklas Porsing
Lakeside
Henning Bager
Daniel Davidsson
Jonas Davidsson
Jerran Hart
Shane Hazeldon
Paul Hurry
Peter Ljung
Robert Mear
Andreas Messing
Kauko Nieminen
Marc Owen
Stuart Robson Newcastle
Adam Shields
Lubos Tomicek
Mikkel Bech
Adam Ellis
Leicester
Ilya Bondarenko
Jamie Courtney
Jan Graversen
John Oliver
Symon Wozniak
Poole
Andrew Aldridge
Dennis Andersson
Aaron Baseby
Mark Baseby
Craig Boyce
Jason Bunyan
Jason Crump
Jason Doyle
Freddie Eriksson
Daniel Halsey
Gary Havelock
Jay Herne
Chris Holder
James Holder
Kyle Howarth
Krzysztof Kasprzak
Ricky Kling
Antonio Lindback
Leon Madsen
Artur Mroczka
Bjarne Pedersen
Piotr Protasiewicz
John Resch
David Ruud
Tomas Suchanek
Piotr Swist
Greg Walasek
Darcy Ward
Craig Watson
Davey Watt
Magnus Zetterstrom
Vaclav Millik
Josh Gracjzonek ?
Dakota North
Swindon
Leigh Adams
Sebastain Alden
Tomasz Chrzanowski
Renat Gafurov
Cory Gathercole
Manuel Hauzinger
Kenny Ingalls
Maciej Janowski - Poole
Thomas H Jonasson - Poole
Mads Korneliussen
Travis McGowan
Adrian Miedzinski
Jurica Pavlic
Darryl Ritchings
Justin Sedgeman
Ryan Sedgeman
Simon Stead Sheffield
Richard Sweetman
Grzegorz Zengota
Wolverhampton
James Grieves
Joe Haines
Kenneth Hansen
Christian Hefenbrock
David Howe
Peter Karlsson
Chris Kerr
Nicolai Klindt
Freddie Lindgren
Ashley Morris
Nicki Pedersen
Ty Proctor
Adam Skornicki
Hynek Stichauer
Sebastian Ulamek
Tai Woffinden
Piotr Pawlicki
Mikael Max
Tyson Burmeister
Tobiasz Musielak
Krzysztof Jablonski
Krzysztof Pecyna
Sam Ermolenko =Ronnie Correy

Think there is much more updated lists elsewhere to look at

Josh became a full asset at Poole towards the end of the 2013 season.............you have also missed out Kyle Newman................

RP

Stuart Robson is still Lakesides. And Olly Allen is still Coventrys. Other wise I think most of TNTs changes are correct

Think there is much more updated lists elsewhere to look at

You have to wonder why the full list isn't on the BSPA site...