British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stummings

Same As From Rugby

The recent press release showing the so called big meetings for 2015 shows in my opinion a total lack of thought in certain meetings being held at the wrong tracks.

Leicester ELRC.

Probably one of the poorest tracks in the country and in March. Farce! Traditionalists will say October for this meeting, but the BSPA’s idea is it’s just an individual open meeting in March. Why call it the ELRC? Hold the proper ELRC in September, oh I forgot the riders will be putting their continental clubs first, smack smack Stummo!

Coventry British Under 21 and NL Fours

Two more farces [3 so far] the televised ELRC what a joke that was last year and the NL 4’s debarkal how on earth have Coventry been allocated such meetings!

Wolverhampton British Final

No disrespect to Wolverhampton, but why hold the British Final there? I don’t go as it’s packed to the rafters plus the viewing only is only from one side of the stadium.

Yes it’s fairly central which I guess is the main reason, oh plus it must make a lot of £ notes! Who actually gets the money these days from this meeting after all the deductions?

I also wonder how many people actually travel long distances to attend this meeting. As it’s a British Championship I would have thought it would be better to hold such a meeting on a Saturday night or Sunday to allow fans to travel from all parts of the country without having to take a day off to travel, assuming you don’t live in the midlands. After all our other European friends seem to race the own countries championships and that takes preference over any meeting. Oh I forgot the almighty Sky no doubt demand it!

The other venues I kind of agree with.

But Mr Harkess and his band of cronies will no doubt sit in there ivory towers and do the same year after year. Quite frankly they’re turning fans away from speedway, but with their blinkers on they have no idea what’s going on around them. All the BSPA seem to be saying is look at the Major Events, funny no mention anymore of ‘shared events’. Speedway at its best a team sport. Let’s reintroduce the Inter League KOC where the so called Elite clubs HAVE to have all the nominated 1-7 riding in that competition. Start the NL clubs v PL clubs, yes there will be a few byes then introduce the EL clubs in the latter stages of the completion. It will take some working out, but that’s what the BSPA is supposed to do!

How can they have allowed the KOC, once such a great competition to just fad away!

I really can’t think of many positives at the moment regarding speedway. I am normally beginning to get the taste for watching speedway again this time of year, but it just isn’t happening, perhaps it will in a month or so.

Edited by Dave Stummings
  • Like 1

For me the best race tracks should share all the meetings of this type as long as they can handle the larger crowds. So sorry that can't include Coventry Leicester or Wolverhampton

For me Scunthorpe, Kings Lynn, Peterborough, Sheffield and Somerset are best race tracks. Yes tracks like Coventry Kent and Poole have arguably better facilities but if the track doesn't produce the racing whats the point

All very well whinging but how many other tracks have actually applied to run these meetings?

• Like 2

I'd love to see the British final at Peterborough :D

From 2016 on, should not National meetings be held at the National Stadium, or at least the British Final, ELRC and SWC.

• Like 1

Interesting that the BSPA have gone back to calling it the 'ELRC' (at Leicester in March) - or is that another press release that will require an update?!

I believe it should go all around the country, regardless of the track

Would love to have seen a final at the old County Ground but would never have happened because too many riders "didn't like it"

Good on Leicester, hope they put on a good show

The opening poster doesn't go to a meeting because its packed to the rafters?

Yeah, its awful when its a big crowd with a great atmosphere.

Much better to have a sparse man and his dog crowd.

Agree with Leicester though! Awful choice.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

Was thinking the same myself when I read it. He has the right profile photo but.

• Like 1

Elrc nothing meeting . no -one wants to ride in it .and no one wants to run it . so crap meeting on a crap track seems about right .

I believe it should go all around the country, regardless of the track

Would love to have seen a final at the old County Ground but would never have happened because too many riders "didn't like it"

Good on Leicester, hope they put on a good show

I for one, have never been to Leicester so as its early in the season and I will still have some enthusiasm (no doubt steadily eroded over the following weeks) for the sport, I will definitely attend....

Hopefully Zagar and Nicholls will be in it so I will have someone to support...

Then I can come on here that evening and moan in detail about how crap the track and racing was, and whilst agreeing that the facilities were good I will then be able to ask why the track wasn't built along the lines of hyde rd, bydgoszcz etc etc etc .... :o

(Sometimes feel a bit left out on threads about Leicester)... :D

Bottom line is these events need a crowd to put the money into the coffers, Leicester seem to be one of the better attended tracks and is in the midlands...

Seems fair enough, as you say hopefully they put on a good show....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

I think his point is that part of the length of the home straight is packed to the rafters but the rest of the place is unused, making it a crush in a two-thirds empty stadium.

I've often wondered how many 'packed to the rafters' is at Wolves. Is it as much as a stand-full at EoES for instance?

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow

Tracks apply for meetings and they are then given out accordingly. I must say I am surprised Coventry have a few of these. The stadium owners messed up big time employing someone with no experience apart from driving a taxi. It seems they've got someone new in so hopefully these issues will be put to bed.