British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs

John,if you want to,you can contact Edinburgh speedway and ask them about the part I played in letting them know that Kevin Wölbert was looking for more speedway action as his Swedish club wasn't using him.That one mail has probably been worth a hell of a lot of money to that one club alone........this isn't about mine nor your contribution to speedway,this is about your contribution to this thread.Now stop digging yourself further into the big hole that you have dug,put the dunces cap on and go stand in the corner :icon_smile_clown:

Why should this be of any interest to me? :unsure:

Do "they" know gustix though?

Is john hyam your name or the name of your sponsor?

I wondered when you would 'stick your oar in" - the man who has never heard of NZ speedway hero Barry Butterworth! A real exprt here.

Oh, NZ Speedway does recognise all track formulas - not just solos BTW.

http://www.barrybutterworthracing.com/index.php/photos/end-of-the-line

and this -

http://www.speedway.co.nz/

Edited by Guest

I wondered when you would 'stick your oar in" - the man who has never heard of NZ speedway hero Barry Butterworth! A real exprt here.

Oh, NZ Speedway does recognise all track formulas - not just solos BTW.

http://www.barrybutterworthracing.com/index.php/photos/end-of-the-line

Did Barry like pie 'n' mash or live in a prefab? Not sure of the relevance here.Which were your favourite pie 'n' mash shops John and did you live in a prefab?What cars did you drive in the 50s/60s and what speedway memories do you have from that period?

Did Barry like pie 'n' mash or live in a prefab? Not sure of the relevance here.Which were your favourite pie 'n' mash shops John and did you live in a prefab?What cars did you drive in the 50s/60s and what speedway memories do you have from that period?

I doubt it very much - Barry Butterworth was a New Zealander. I mentioned him because self-styled expert waiheleaces1 had joined the debate and I remember a debate on Barry Butterworth as a topic we discussed.

I hated pie 'n mash - never touched it so no favourite shop. I did not live n a prefab - no car in the years you mention - I could afford taxis!

Mpst of my memories are all to be found in BSF Post 81 in tis thread - didn't you see it previously? You are slipping up!

Edited by Guest

I hated pie 'n mash - never touched it

How did you come to hate it if you never touched it? Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

I once went on a coach outing to Southend and it stopped off at a 'pie and eel' place for travellers to have a meal. I basically followed by ordering the same food as my companions - when I tried it with that 'white gooey liquid' i wanted to vomit. That's why I know I detest the sort of food that Manzes and others of that ilk offer.

I hated pie 'n mash - never touched it so no favourite shop.

Mpst of my memories are all to be found in BSF Post 81 in tis thread - didn't you see it previously? You are slipping up!

You seem to be the one who is slipping up.Forgot your earlier posts about the speedway link and forgot your earlier post saying you did try pie 'n' mash.Not your day really,is it? :icon_smile_clown:

Pie and Mash never did me any harm :party:

• Like 1

How did you come to hate it if you never touched it?

The sheer sight of it turned me off! Possibly I did taste the stuff off another person's helping - so long ago - must be 65 years at least...I didn't make a note of the date at the time! :unsure: That's a simple enough explanation surely? In the days before I had even heard there was a sport called speedway.

You seem to be the one who is slipping up.Forgot your earlier posts about the speedway link and forgot your earlier post saying you did try pie 'n' mash.Not your day really,is it? :icon_smile_clown:

What a sad life you lead Doug - it seems to be dedicated to every Post I make - not only on the BSF but elsewhere - no wonder you try to hide behind a female name!

Edited by Guest

What a sad life you lead Doug - it seems to be dedicated to every Post I make - not only on the BSF but elsewhere - no wonder you try to hide behind a female name!

Only on the Wimbledon facebook page John as I am a Wimbledon fan.Other than that I don't post on any speedway related sites,so not sure what you are on about there.Any further trouble you have on such sites is nothing to do with me mate,so you must be making a twit of yourself .And as you quite rightly know,my name on facebook is open for all to see.Try again.Not your day is it? Simple Simon says.......

How can you say such a thing. Look at this. Absolutely delicious. Nothing finer. Mmmmmmm http://theworldandhistuktuk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/pieandmash.jpg

Looks so good you good lift it of the screen.

Actually it's a bloody pity you can't - I'm hungry.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Eating the Pie 'n Mash would be infinitely more interesting than some of the Posts I have been reading on here of late.

• Like 1

Only on the Wimbledon facebook page John as I am a Wimbledon fan.Other than that I don't post on any speedway related sites,so not sure what you are on about there.Any further trouble you have on such sites is nothing to do with me mate,so you must be making a twit of yourself .And as you quite rightly know,my name on facebook is open for all to see.Try again.Not your day is it? Simple Simon says.......

It's top marks (!!!) to you Doug - just cannot resist making barbed insults can you? :sad:

The 'elsewhere' was indeed the Wimbledon fb site where you jumped on virtually everything that I posted. In the end I just removed everything that I had placed on it. I also left the group because of your continuing attitude towards me.

I understand there is a brilliant new book being published today. All about growing up in Hackney in the 1950s and 60s and contains a part about going to speedway in the 60s and how the author came to be named after a speedway rider...Looks good. :)

More info here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pie-Mash-Prefabs-1950s-Childhood/dp/1784181234/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425542499&sr=1-1&keywords=Norman+Jacobs

This is the synopsis for the book on life in East London in the 1950s: I cannot see any reference to speedway in it - but there could be more on the site where it is mentioned?

"The Blitz had made many families in the East End of London homeless. One solution was to erect prefabs on fi elds and open spaces to give temporary accommodation to those who had been bombed out. It was in one of these 'modern' boxes that young Norman Jacobs grew up through the 1950s and 1960s. In a lively, detailed and humorous picture of a postwar Hackney childhood, Norman takes us back to an age of rationing, bomb sites, street markets, colourful characters and camaraderie. And in reminiscing about stodgy school food, jumpers for goalposts, Listen with Mother, greyhound racing, pie 'n' mash, holidaycamps, and the advent of American-style burger bars, he provides a glimpse into a way of life that has vanished for ever. Set against a backdrop of Rock 'n' Roll, the Cuban Missile Crisis and the assassination of President Kennedy, funny, poignant and sometimes sad, Norman's is a story full of innocence and happiness that will take you back to the best of times - the days we thought would never end."

Edited by Guest

The author tells us there is a new book that contains a part about speedway and some "expert" is still trying to make himself look like a divvy instead of just giving up,putting on the dunces cap and going off to stand in the corner.

Stupid is as stupid does