British Speedway Forum

Article in this weeks Star about Exeter Falcons, and very sad to read about the situation Exeter legend Michael Coles finds himself. Apparently after his big crash at IOW he was misdiagnosed and he carried on riding for four more years. Since retiring he has had 4 MRI scans and they have found loads more injuries. He has had two spinal operations, and can no longer work as a plasterer as he cannot lift anything over 25kg. He cant stand for long and he cant sit for long, he is registered as disabled and living on benefits. He says he turns up at as many meetings as he can to watch his son Connor, but is limited to what he can spend. Perhaps any Exeter fans or anybody reading the full article can get something going to help him out.

Michaal might benefit by engaging one of the no-win, no fee claims lawyers that advertise their services.

Certainly sounds as though he could have a claim against whoever made the wrong diagnosis.

• Like 1

Article in this weeks Star about Exeter Falcons, and very sad to read about the situation Exeter legend Michael Coles finds himself. Apparently after his big crash at IOW he was misdiagnosed and he carried on riding for four more years. Since retiring he has had 4 MRI scans and they have found loads more injuries. He has had two spinal operations, and can no longer work as a plasterer as he cannot lift anything over 25kg. He cant stand for long and he cant sit for long, he is registered as disabled and living on benefits. He says he turns up at as many meetings as he can to watch his son Connor, but is limited to what he can spend. Perhaps any Exeter fans or anybody reading the full article can get something going to help him out.

Ben Fund?

Ben Fund?

Fair point. I would have thought that Michael is exactly the sort Case that they would be able to help.

Let's hope so.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

Michael rather enjoyed his reputation of being a man who was tough as old boots, I fancy.

I was at the IOW v. Falcons meeting the night Michael had the big crash into the fence on bends 3/4. I was attempting to 'spanner' for Krister Marsh. :lol:

It was a big impact on the fence. However, my recollection was that Michael, true to form, was very reluctant to go to hospital, or indeed stay there, and have the proper tests, X-rays etc. Consequently, it was only some years later that it was discovered just how many times he had damaged vertebrae in his back and not realised just how much of a problem it was in reality.

I sponsored Mike for one season for £5 a point ( 2001 ) to top up the deal Colin Hill had offered him, and to secure his services for another year, so I am not having a go at him here. He scored heavily home and away, so it wasn't pin money !

I'm just saying that he was sometimes his own worst enemy where injuries were concerned. I think I know Mike well enough to say that if he was honest, he'd agree with me.

I would like to think that the Ben Fund organisers could see their way clear to helping him out. Maybe not as much as for the likes of those riders who are using wheelchairs, but some help. Whether Mike's pride would allow him to accept help is another matter.

He was hugely popular during his years at Exeter, and I'm still a fan. All the very best Mike, if you are reading this. :t:

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this. Michael was the first non-Newport rider I was a proper fan off. General when a rider come to Newport and scored lots of pointed I disliked them for it (teenage logic!) but I took to Michael and I think it's fair to say many people all over the country did. I remember in about 2007 going to Birmingham vs Glasgow where Mike was Glasgows reserve and saying to my mate before the meeting it just seemed so wrong to see a guy who had for years been such a thorn in every PLs side for years down in reserve - it was made all the worse by him failing to score that day.

Quite sad to think he's ended up how he has. We all remember (for the wrong reasons) the Garry Steads and Lol Hares but there probably another few Mike Coles' out there, speedway rider who have give their health and future for the sport.