British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
george.m

Glasgow Tigers V Berwick Bandits - 5th April - League Cup

They have. Away team still gains a point if they finish 6 or less points behind. Home team gets 3 for the win regardless of the winning score..... That's the new bit.

It's still 2 points each for a draw

I thought the home team got 1 point and the away team got 2 points for a draw last season (the rules change that much I cannot keep up).

I acknowledge there were circumstances above and beyond but three hour long meetings are going to put ppl off.

Speedway should be part of a day off and not its entirety. Okay exaggerating for effect here......

I thought the home team got 1 point and the away team got 2 points for a draw last season (the rules change that much I cannot keep up).

yeah, that sounds right

Edited by Shads

Surprised racing wasnt better today with lots of ftg races which isnt the norm at ashfield recently. Early days of course. Good show from visitors today, well done bandits.

• Like 1

My opinion of the new Tigers from what its worth

Enjoyed my visit to Ashfield today. Some of the delays couldn't have been prevented (hope the 2 guys are ok) and the tapes issue dragged on a wee bit not to mention Ht15 reruns (didn't have the best view to comment on it). As for the track started FTG but improved as meet went on with some decent races. Facilities are top class even tho some space has been sacrificed namely bend 4 and back straight. But a great view on that raised platform on bend 3 and fascinating watching the pits. The entrance is stunning and really blew me away. Onto the team, expected more dominance but still early in the season and shud be right up there.
Come mid season it will be a very smooth run operation. Well Done

• Like 5

Enjoyed my visit to Ashfield today. Some of the delays couldn't have been prevented (hope the 2 guys are ok) and the tapes issue dragged on a wee bit not to mention Ht15 reruns (didn't have the best view to comment on it). As for the track started FTG but improved as meet went on with some decent races. Facilities are top class even tho some space has been sacrificed namely bend 4 and back straight. But a great view on that raised platform on bend 3 and fascinating watching the pits. The entrance is stunning and really blew me away. Onto the team, expected more dominance but still early in the season and shud be right up there.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

As you weren't there last week the track improvements were more obvious today too.

"Work in progress" applies to many aspects of the stadium, the commitment from owners, promoters, staff and volunteers cannot be questioned and is obvious for all to see. God only knows what the finished product will look like.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Edited by george.m
  • Like 2

On entrance, I thought the changes to the stadium were amazing - the new pits, the new entrance, the new back straight terracing. When I got round to the back straight, I wasn't so sure - of that bit, anyway.

I found that if I stood on in the middle of the the upper tier of the terracing I couldn't see the back straight (or most of it) because of people on the lower tier. Bearing in mind I am 6'4'', that's not good and it looked to me like it hadn't been particularly well designed. This led to me moving to the 4th bend, somewhere I have never stood before.

When Ash Birks was badly injured at Plymouth at the back end of 2014, the racing stopped for the amount of time it took to repair the fence because the Devils have two paramedics and two ambulances. Had that been the case yesterday, those delays involving a member of the public would not have happened.

Costs more, but what price the loss of fans from by far the biggest crowd I have ever seen at Ashfield because the meeting took over 3 hours ? Assurances over the tannoy that that isn't the norm probably won't cut much ice.

All that said, it was brilliant to see the huge crowd and there's no doubt that every fan and club in the country would want to see that sort of investment in the team and stadium (whatever the pathetic comments in the Edinburgh programme on Friday might have said). The meeting wasn't bad, and there's no doubt that Ashfield now could become one of the best racing tracks in the PL - its come a very long way from the 'squaredome' days.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

What were the pathetic Edinburgh programme comments HT?

What were the pathetic Edinburgh programme comments HT?

'A million pound investment in Glasgow Tigers puts them on a level way above all the other second tier speedway teams. Perhaps its a good thing if the ultimate ambition is to join the EL - otherwise not'.

It then goes on to have a pop at the Facenna's comments about Glasgow's situation in respect of their neighbours, point to Avtar Sandhu at Coventry and make remarks about Glasgow getting a televised meeting.

As I have said before, there's not a single club in the land(or a fan of such a club) who wouldn't want such an investment. Comments like that are almost certainly - especially given that they come from a Monarchs fan - motivated by jealousy and spite, particularly given that in the same programme there was an insert with an appeal to Edinburgh fans to make a financial contribution to the club with an implicit threat of closure if they did not. Taken alongside the comments about Richard Lawson's absence from the match on Friday on the Edinburgh website, its clear that there are a few at Armadale with serious chips on their shoulders.

Fortunately, that's not John Campbell's opinion:

'What has happened through at Ashfield this winter has been simply amazing and I congratulate the Facennas on their marvellous efforts. Of course I am envious of what has gone on over there but I am sure that we can benefit and that can only be good for the future of Scottish speedway'.

I should say that the Edinburgh fans I stood with yesterday reflected Mr Campbell's comments - slightly envious, but very happy for the Tigers. Indeed, I suspect that that is the way that most fans across the country feel.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 9

'A million pound investment in Glasgow Tigers puts them on a level way above all the other second tier speedway teams. Perhaps its a good thing if the ultimate ambition is to join the EL - otherwise not'.

It then goes on to have a pop at the Facenna's comments about Glasgow's situation in respect of their neighbours, point to Avtar Sandhu at Coventry and make remarks about Glasgow getting a televised meeting.

As I have said before, there's not a single club in the land(or a fan of such a club) who wouldn't want such an investment. Comments like that are almost certainly - especially given that they come from a Monarchs fan - motivated by jealousy and spite, particularly given that in the same programme there was an insert with an appeal to Edinburgh fans to make a financial contribution to the club with an implicit threat of closure if they did not. Taken alongside the comments about Richard Lawson's absence from the match on Friday on the Edinburgh website, its clear that there are a few at Armadale with serious chips on their shoulders.

Fortunately, that's not John Campbell's opinion:

'What has happened through at Ashfield this winter has been simply amazing and I congratulate the Facennas on their marvellous efforts. Of course I am envious of what has gone on over there but I am sure that we can benefit and that can only be good for the future of Scottish speedway'.

I should say that the Edinburgh fans I stood with yesterday reflected Mr Campbell's comments - slightly envious, but very happy for the Tigers. Indeed, I suspect that that is the way that most fans across the country feel.

who are the comnents attributed to?? Not Mr Hunter surely? :)

who are the comnents attributed to?? Not Mr Hunter surely? :)

No idea, AF. That gentleman's name was mentioned at Ashfield, though.

Does the writer's business record stack up against our new owners? (Doubt it)

Who's ever said it was an investment?

Maybe it's for the love of the sport.

Maybe it's to put back into the local community as they've said previously.

Maybe it is a good investment if you look beyond speedway ...

... but that would take an entrepreneurial business brain!

Speedway's long term future secured in Scotland when Edinburgh's is in doubt.

£1 million invested in the sport of speedway and the writer's angle is to question it.

I can only question his true motive in writing this ill informed comment.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 6

A few pics from yesterday's meeting .....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glasgowtigersspeedway/

Some cracking shots george - what type of camera are you using?

I take it the shot at https://www.flickr.com/photos/glasgowtigersspeedway/16860729510/in/photostream/ was taken before the tapes were fixed! Bit of a disadvantage there for the inside gate lol

Some cracking shots george - what type of camera are you using?

I take it the shot at https://www.flickr.com/photos/glasgowtigersspeedway/16860729510/in/photostream/ was taken before the tapes were fixed! Bit of a disadvantage there for the inside gate lol

Thanks Lioness.

Nikon D5100 with 300mm lense.

That shot was taken after the tapes were fixed. They were inconsistent after the fix, sometimes together, sometimes not.

Captured the inconsistency in Heat 1 too but not loaded on Flickr.

Mentioned it to Gerry, and he said "new tapes going in for next week".

Edited by george.m