British Speedway Forum
stevec

Kent V Eastbourne, Easter Monday 6th April

I concur with Teaboys assessment of ref Barbara Horley..I have always considered her the worst of a pretty poor lot of current refs,,actually today was one of her better meetings,less to complain about than usual..Back to the meeting one of the best i have seen at Central Park The track was smoother than normal but the riders found it marbly,the shale just does,nt bind to the base,Still some good passes from the all action James Shanes 2 wins and 9 points ,,if only he could gate ?..Bradley Wilson-Dean for Eastbourne also made great passes and looks premier league class, how he gets in this league on a 5 point average beats me.. Ben Morley was solid as usual and got his revenge on Bradley in heat 15 scored 16 points including a tactical ride victory..Aaron baseby did his job, scored 6 ,,but Danny Ayers has yet to hit the form we all know he is capable, it will come 7 points..The bottom 3 riders are our achillese heal ,do we have time for them to improve ?? and will they..?? are there any riders out there that could do a better job, on a 3 point average??? Matt Saul maybe,??. Who else is there ??? Kings were beaten today by better reserves,in a team with strenght in depth,,Danny Warwick being the weak link at the moment,if he starts to click that team can start looking at honours in their first season..The track presentation was slick today, Derek Barklay doing a good job on the mike.. I.think the large crowd would have appreciated the excellent racing today and hope that will keep them comeing to the home of the kings despite the result this afternoon...

• Like 2

Well done Eastbourne deserved win and look solid throughout.

Great guest in Greenwood and you have a real GEM in Wilson-Dean.

Now Kent.

I know it is early days etc,but already you can see why SS put Kings to finish 8th.

My fear was that Ben would have to carry the team and he will until others up their game.

Shanes is worth entrance money alone (his 3rd to 1st)in first ride at Home was great.

I think there is more to come from Ayres and Baseby.

What worries me is the other 3.

Verge needs to be at reserve and Sheppard/Couzins just finding this a struggle.

Compared to Eagles reserves,we are way behind.

And on the subject of the referee,how is she allowed to officiate.

When the Eagles rider went down first bend the red lights came straight on although he was getting straight up ?

Then in the re-run the other Eagle who missed to start first time,flew second time.

The away meeting was well worth the journey! The first win away for a long time. Brad the kiwi did a great job passing Morley and holding him off! Also saw that no helmets were worn on parade which is a good idea so you can get to know the riders. More like this Eastbourne! And a few more points Warwick! Have to say that verge looked like he was out on a Sunday jolly! Hope we continue on a winning streak!

Well worth the journey today was very fun indeed, have to say the whole kent track and stadium is very impressive my first trip there and i thought it was quality love the grandstand. Eagles rode really well and deserved the big 4 points i think, but will settle for 3. I hope when warwick drops to reserve he can bang in the scores kelsey has, BWD proved today hes not just a gater rode terrifically showed some superb pace!

A very good meeting today in front of an excellent crowd. I must admit I was suffering with the Artic like weather though!

A good all round team performance by the Eagles but when Mason returns I do not think that he will score as freely as Greenwood did home and away.

The ref can't please all of the people all of the time - but I did think that she released the tapes too quickly in the majority of the opening heats. The Kent boys looked startled at the early release and when Morley tried to beat her and got a flyer he was hauled back.

Kent's reserves - ouch !! How are they going to perform on the away tracks ? - but where will the replacements come from ? Verge certainly out of sorts today and will hopefully improve. If he goes down to reserve then who will take his place ?

Great performance from the Eagles, Good all round performance though Danny Warwick looked off the pace. Yea a couple of funny decisions from the ref ..... Lets hope its not another 2years before our next away win. Liked the stadium, facilities and nice big car park but boy was it cold.....

Cold, you've not been to Buxton yet.

• Like 3

So, according to Martin and Connor on twitter. Only 10 tyres were brought to the meeting by the suppliers. Kent had 7 of the and Eastbourne 3!

I must admit I though the rules were that both teams were allowed the same amount of tyres but I guess that's not the case. Strange that a supplier would only bring 10 tyres or should the teams bring their own? Must admit I am new to National League.

I cannot disagree with anything that has been said but would like to bring a new perspective.

I arrived very early and spent 1.5hrs chatting with the Kent supporters. A most welcoming and pleasant group they were, just like it was back in the 1950,s and I hope I have the chance to go again. They supported their own team well but also applauded the visitors and no sign of aggression or bad language. Hope we can repay the compliment next time you come to Arlington.

Thank you Guys, We had a great time despite the cold and I really hope the Kings turn things around and have a good season.

• Like 3

So, according to Martin and Connor on twitter. Only 10 tyres were brought to the meeting by the suppliers. Kent had 7 of the and Eastbourne 3!

I must admit I though the rules were that both teams were allowed the same amount of tyres but I guess that's not the case. Strange that a supplier would only bring 10 tyres or should the teams bring their own? Must admit I am new to National League.

Unless it has changed i believe the riders are responsible for their tyres. It's certainly not like the elite league where you get 7 tyres between a team.

I reckon the "supplier" mentioned would be Dave Jessup who attends all Kents meetings with his "spares" van. Would of thought Connor and Martin would not of left it till the last minute.com to sort their tyres anyway in this new professional era at arlington...

I cannot disagree with anything that has been said but would like to bring a new perspective.

I arrived very early and spent 1.5hrs chatting with the Kent supporters. A most welcoming and pleasant group they were, just like it was back in the 1950,s and I hope I have the chance to go again. They supported their own team well but also applauded the visitors and no sign of aggression or bad language. Hope we can repay the compliment next time you come to Arlington.

Thank you Guys, We had a great time despite the cold and I really hope the Kings turn things around and have a good season.

Well said and it has to be said the Kent crowd is very supportive of the riders and appreciate their efforts.

About the weather - Cannot believe how COLD,WINDY AND CLOUDY it was.

We left Home inbetween Maidstone and Gravesend and it was WARM,SUNNY AND NO WIND ???

Strange old weather !

Unless it has changed i believe the riders are responsible for their tyres. It's certainly not like the elite league where you get 7 tyres between a team.

I reckon the "supplier" mentioned would be Dave Jessup who attends all Kents meetings with his "spares" van. Would of thought Connor and Martin would not of left it till the last minute.com to sort their tyres anyway in this new professional era at arlington...

Bus as it turns out we don't need new tyres to win a meeting!

Not sure if it was Dave or if he would have been at Rye House as he supplies both however it is a little naughty.

Didn't matter either way as Eastbourne handed a lesson in gating even with used rubber.

Even with the inevitable re-shuffle due to averages changing Eastbourne still look strong (barring Warwick who seems to be struggling / rusty).

Good travelling support from Eastbourne both in numbers, enthusiasm and gracious in victory also.

Congratulations to Georgie Wood recording a big win in his home County.

The Eagles are doing a very good job of setting the bar.

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyed my first trip to Sittingbourne and was made very welcome.

Good racing in an excellent stadium although some strange refereeing decisions.

Great to watch Ben Morley and James Shanes in action on their own turf.

• Like 1

I was a Kent Fan but after a transfer I moved to Eastbourne during the Winter, I have always said that the Kent fans were always nice and always pleasant towards the away teams, I don’t think this will change, Connor and Martin were caught with the tyre gate situation, but just imagine if all the riders were on them for Eastbourne, Possible another 5 points but there you go I don’t think the boys will be caught in the future. Rules are the track many must carry 3 tyres as a Max nothing to do with how many as Kent had as the spares man may have only brought 3 in total so it could have been 3 tyres between all 10 riders. :nono:

It Just shows that Len could have been up to ticks making the spares man at Rye House and Kent make sure there was not enough tyres to go round to both teams, Well as it proved in the end that your not going to stop a good team even on used tyres.

• Like 1