British Speedway Forum
hackneyrocket

Rye House V Sheffield 18th April

Best of luck to both riders and get well soon

Three riders injured. The throttle on Steve Boxalls bike jammed open in heat 10 and he sustained a shoulder injury. The same shoulder he had an operation on which still has metalwork in.

Hopefully Sheffield release a statement on Simons condition soon to end the speculation

Who's saying the Rye track was unsatisfactory?

I think most of the riders did (certainly the ones from Sheffield, anyway). At the start of the meeting, it was awful which is probably why there was significant track work after heats 3 & 4.

To be fair, after that it was much improved and I think that it would be very harsh to blame the track for the crash in heat 15.

Just when you feel like have a bit of a celebration, something comes along to bit you firmly on the arse.

Good win for what is a very good and very under rated Sheffield team.

Hope that Steady and David Bellego are not too badly injured and of course Steve Boxall.

• Like 2

The public were ushered out to allow the air ambulance to land. Hope simon, David and Steve all recover quickly.

From the Sheffield web site:-

SHEFFIELD claimed a shock 50-37 win over Rye House at Hoddesdon – but their sensational victory was marred by a heat 15 horror crash for Simon Stead.

The inspirational Tigers’ skipper had gone unbeaten in his opening four rides to help lead his side to an unexpected victory before disaster struck.

He hit the front in the final race and appeared on course for a 5-1 with David Bellego.

However, he picked up some drive and clipped the fence on the third lap, clashing with the Frenchman as he hit the deck.

Stead was airlifted to hospital as a precautionary measure as the full extent of his injuries was not known, although he was conscious and had full feeling.

The meeting was abandoned with the result declared due to lack of medical cover as staff attended to Stead, who is feared to have suffered a possible left arm fracture and left hip injury.

It is hoped Stead’s injuries will prove not as bad as first feared, whilst Bellego appeared to escape without serious injury despite being in discomfort with abrasion to his thigh.

Tigers’ co-promoter Peter Mole was full of praise for the Owlerton outfit, as they ended a run of over a decade without a win at Rye House to make it six wins out of six in all competitions.

However, he was saddened to see the meeting reach an unfortunate conclusion – and he is hoping for positive news on Stead.

Said Mole: “I feel absolutely elated with the performance and a great win, but we are just totally gutted because of what happened in heat 15.

“We wish Simon all the very best and hope his injuries aren’t as bad as first feared. He was on fire once again so it’s a massive shame what happened to him in the end.

“It was a tremendous performance from all the boys and a great win for us, it’s just sad it was overshadowed somewhat by what happened to Steady.”

On the way home from Berwick tonight, was chatting about how much I was looking forward to seeing Steady next week.
Hope he makes a speedy recovery, great rider who is in great form at the moment.

Fingers crossed things are not as bad as initially feared! Poor Steady, he's not had much luck with injuries his whole career, when he gets one it always seems to be a big one, hopefully thats not the case here.

Wishing well to Simon Stead, plus the two walking wounded riders Steve Boxall and David Bellingo. These guys take tremendous risks for us the paying public. After seeing last season Andrea Compton having a similar accident as Steady tonight, I was amazed Compton didn't have more serious injuries and even more amazed Compton is back riding.

These guys entertain me and tens of thousands of other speedway fans worldwide, you all deserve medals. Think your all a bit mad though to be honest but in the nicest possible way!

Edited by Paul
  • Like 8

Get well soon to simon and David ,seems quite a few injures around at the moment

Firstly lets get things in perspective our thoughts and best wishes are to the three injured riders. What a sport we follow when my first reaction is good when I read the words "stable condition".

But I do have concern regarding Bowens sabbatical, I have always supported Luke through the years nobody has given more for the club in both commitment and injuries and I fully understand finally it may be too much of a sacrifice, but this 28 day wait is starting to ruin our season especially with Kasper out (again no idea if its three hours , three weeks or three months) In short nobody is ever bigger than any club so please get back now Luke if you want to ride as we need your firepower at reserve or call it a day so we can redeclare our team.

@JetwashJonny: Thanks for everybody's well wishes. Simon is not good and has a broken upper arm and a broken femur. He has the best family around him ❤️

• Like 4