British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Super Blue

Somerset Rebels V Ipswich Witches Pl 17-4-15

Decent meeting but for the 2nd week running the track was very patchy- even Brady mentioned it in an interview that it's been different every week. Certainly not up to the usual OTA standards this year so far.

I thought Ipswich were great value tonight and probably deserved to win- looks a good season ahead for the Witches fans.

As for the Rebels not much wrong with the top five but we are very suspect at reserve.

Thanks to Josh Bates for guesting he certainly rode better than his 2 points suggest.

Have not attended this season, but why is track different every week? who does the track now

That's part of our strength this year though. We've built in a way that we'll always be pretty strong at reserve no matter who drops to reserve.

We could well see Manzares at reserve after the first set of averages and we'll still look potent.

If these were play off fixtures, we would have sailed through comfortably over the two legs so things are looking very promising for us.

Yeah no problem there, your team does look very solid , but then again it has done at the beginning of the season a few times before, the trick is still to be there at the sharp end. I dont think Gino would have got 7 if he had been riding, but I do think Paul would have managed more than 2, but you can only beat what is in front of you.Hopefully Paul will be back next week or we will be in the same trouble as we were yesterday.Onwards and upwards lol.

True but he is more experienced than Kurtz so can probably adapt to different conditions more easily. I agree that a track being safe and good for racing are the most important factors but some home riders will inevitably struggle occasionally if the track is never prepared the same.

Absolutely - and I've just used Brady as an example in this instance, and haven't intended to single him out, he was just the one who got interviewed. I was meaning it more as a generalisation.

True but he is more experienced than Kurtz so can probably adapt to different conditions more easily. I agree that a track being safe and good for racing are the most important factors but some home riders will inevitably struggle occasionally if the track is never prepared the same.

Absolutely - and I've just used Brady as an example in this instance, and haven't intended to single him out, he was just the one who got interviewed. I was meaning it more as a generalisation.

Have not attended this season, but why is track different every week? who does the track now

Still Ez - whose on a bit of a hiding to nothing really. It was quite hot and windy the previous week and it got dusty pretty quickly, so yesterday was heavily watered to try and solve the dust issue I presume - after a few heats though with the strong wind it was dusty again.

• Like 1

Pile up for Poole, ankle

Three of Gino`s rides are included in Ippo`s 29 points, the only one that wasnt was Nico`s win.So I will give you the three for that so that is now 42-32.The point I was making was how poor we were at reserve not the overall score, but the Rebels top 5 comfortably out scored the Witches by counting Gino`s r/r`s. In the scores Statto has given ritchie and cam 5 rides and Rohan 6, but also itemised Gino`s r/r`s, in your world 42-36 for top 5 and Ippo`s reserve scores and you get 52.

but thats exactly how averages and having a points limit works.

The reason you have a 3 point reserve is because the top 3 are all 7.5 or above and Wright above 6.5.

The Witches 3rd heat leader is at 6 so can have 2 stronger reserves.

So naturally the top5 of Somerset should out score the Witches top 5 and the reserves the opposite.

Yeah no problem there, your team does look very solid , but then again it has done at the beginning of the season a few times before, the trick is still to be there at the sharp end. I dont think Gino would have got 7 if he had been riding, but I do think Paul would have managed more than 2, but you can only beat what is in front of you.Hopefully Paul will be back next week or we will be in the same trouble as we were yesterday.Onwards and upwards lol.

All ifs buts and maybes. Tungate has been awful here every time, last night he was good value. King scored 15 last season (13 in real money) with Newcastle, only the 8 last night and I'm not sure he'll score as low next time.

Impossible to tell.

I will be honest though, I don't think this Somerset team is anywhere near as strong as previous season's and I was quietly confident we could pick something up last night.

Somerset have a track record of making changes when necessary, and I think a change or two somewhere along the line will be needed if Somerset are to pick up silverware this season.

I could be wrong though! We'll see.

Edited by CardinalSin
  • Like 1

but thats exactly how averages and having a points limit works.

The reason you have a 3 point reserve is because the top 3 are all 7.5 or above and Wright above 6.5.

The Witches 3rd heat leader is at 6 so can have 2 stronger reserves.

So naturally the top5 of Somerset should out score the Witches top 5 and the reserves the opposite.

The starting averages for the top five of Somerset and Ippo are seperated by half a point .

Pile up for Poole, ankle

Three of Gino`s rides are included in Ippo`s 29 points, the only one that wasnt was Nico`s win.So I will give you the three for that so that is now 42-32.The point I was making was how poor we were at reserve not the overall score, but the Rebels top 5 comfortably out scored the Witches by counting Gino`s r/r`s. In the scores Statto has given ritchie and cam 5 rides and Rohan 6, but also itemised Gino`s r/r`s, in your world 42-36 for top 5 and Ippo`s reserve scores and you get 52.

The starting averages for the top five of Somerset and Ippo are seperated by half a point .

And at Foxhall it was a top 5 31-23 in Ipswich' favour, with an unbeaten King and Tungate in two of the last three heats before fog intervened :wink:

It was a good test for us over the couple of meetings with Somerset as both sides are fancied to be at the upper end of the table.

Good point made earlier, if they had been play offs we would have won convincingly over the two legs so although it's encouraging, it's a long season and a completely different day next time we meet.

Edited by Bloomy
  • Like 1

As a neutral i thoroughly enjoyed the meeting , even though the track was very dusty . Thought Ipswich missed a big opportunity though , had King scored as expected they certainly would have won . The fast starting Covatti was excellent , apart from the one race that he didn't gate , and Tungate was superb too . Didn't look much wrong with the track to me as there was some great racing when Grajczonek , Wright and Tungate were on the track .

Somerset's top five had a strange night , mixing brilliance with mediocrity , every one of them having at least one dodgy outing . Still Josh and Brady Kurtz got it together when it really mattered . The reserve situation will have to be addressed if they are to be serious title challengers again this season though .

A cracking night though in the company of Mr and Mrs Dietbowers , and nice to meet up again with Womble , Statman , Najjer , Pirate Nick and a surprised Halifaxtiger haha , cheers for the lift back to Burnham mate .

Back to the humdrum of a Scottish derby for me now

• Like 2

You're right Paulco it was a missed opportunity and although on the face of it a draw and two points was a great result, it kind of felt like a defeat to me as we should have seen it through.

I'm hoping it won't matter at the end of the day, and two victories next week against Rye and Plymouth will make the dropped point irrelevant.

You're right Paulco it was a missed opportunity and although on the face of it a draw and two points was a great result, it kind of felt like a defeat to me as we should have seen it through.

I'm hoping it won't matter at the end of the day, and two victories next week against Rye and Plymouth will make the dropped point irrelevant.

After Somerset had pulled back the six point deficit and went into a two point lead after heat 12 , i thought that was that , but the Ipswich 5-1 in heat 13 was a huge surprise and should have swung the match back the Witches way , especially with Covatti out in heat 14 . But King and Tungate were comprehensively outgated in heat 15 and though Tungate gave it his all , couldn't really land a blow .

I was disappointed in King though , apart from heat 13 , he was very ordinary , took nearly three laps to get past Josh Bates in heat 11

All ifs buts and maybes. Tungate has been awful here every time, last night he was good value. King scored 15 last season (13 in real money) with Newcastle, only the 8 last night and I'm not sure he'll score as low next time.

Impossible to tell.

I will be honest though, I don't think this Somerset team is anywhere near as strong as previous season's and I was quietly confident we could pick something up last night.

Somerset have a track record of making changes when necessary, and I think a change or two somewhere along the line will be needed if Somerset are to pick up silverware this season.

I could be wrong though! We'll see.

I think you're right - Somerset currently look a good team but not excellent like we have in the previous 3 seasons. I said to Dietbowers and Paulco just after the half way stage we have almost forgotten what it's like to lose at Somerset. The Jack Holder situation over the winter obviously didn't help but Leigh Lanham who effectively replaced him has been consistently one of our best riders so far home and away and a joy to watch.

The biggest problem we have at the moment is the no.7 - and a minor issue in Richie Worrall who hasn't lived upto the hype yet. The no.7 role started off well with Greenwood, then progressively got worse with Dilger and now Compton who has little or no hope anymore. Frankly anyone replacing him can't do any worse and Id be amazed if he's still in the team for next weeks matches.

I was disappointed in King though , apart from heat 13 , he was very ordinary , took nearly three laps to get past Josh Bates in heat 11

Yes not the best by his very high standards but he's been immense so far this season so we'll forgive him the odd average meeting ;)

Compton is not only off the pace on the first bend as you say, but he's off the pace on the second, third and fourth bends too. I think even Henning Loof scored more points for us.

All this nonsense about the track is exactly that - nonsense. Covatti has never seen the place before and he turns up and rides it like a dream, so that cannot be an excuse for having the "incorrect set up".

I disagree.

If the track was different all the home riders will have their bike set up as the track would normally be.

If it was different then they may have the set up all wrong, where as someone like Covatti would not really have known how to do his bike and it worked for him.

The track changing each week has to be an inconvenience for any home team

• Like 1

I disagree.

If the track was different all the home riders will have their bike set up as the track would normally be.

If it was different then they may have the set up all wrong, where as someone like Covatti would not really have known how to do his bike and it worked for him.

The track changing each week has to be an inconvenience for any home team

Invoncenience yes, but excuse no.

What's the point in the track walk if you aren't going to adapt to the conditions? I could tell when I walked in at half 6 the conditions were different from the previous week.

As a neutral i thoroughly enjoyed the meeting , even though the track was very dusty . Thought Ipswich missed a big opportunity though , had King scored as expected they certainly would have won . The fast starting Covatti was excellent , apart from the one race that he didn't gate , and Tungate was superb too . Didn't look much wrong with the track to me as there was some great racing when Grajczonek , Wright and Tungate were on the track .

Somerset's top five had a strange night , mixing brilliance with mediocrity , every one of them having at least one dodgy outing . Still Josh and Brady Kurtz got it together when it really mattered . The reserve situation will have to be addressed if they are to be serious title challengers again this season though .

A cracking night though in the company of Mr and Mrs Dietbowers , and nice to meet up again with Womble , Statman , Najjer , Pirate Nick and a surprised Halifaxtiger haha , cheers for the lift back to Burnham mate .

Back to the humdrum of a Scottish derby for me now

Ah,so that`s who those 2 geezers at the bar were... :lol: ...left Somerset and what happens..diversion for the motorway...then what happens...get a text off our daughter to say are we going for more drinks when we get back..obviously the answer was yes...got in stupid o`clock... :P

• Like 1